SD weapons conditions

SHE3PDOG

I was just wondering what condition you guys and gals keep your self-defense weapons in. Whether it be concealed carry or home/property defense.

Perhaps this is something that varies between person, circumstance, and weapon (i.e. long gun vs. handgun). Give reasons and logic behind your decisions, please.

I keep my home defense gun, GLOCK 23, with a magazine inserted and a round in the chamber. I've never thought that I would forget to rack the slide if there wasn't a round in the chamber or anything like that, but I like the idea of being able to be ready-to-go as soon as I grab it. I also don't have kids, so it is of less concern to me that GLOCKs do not have manual safeties and whatnot. I don't have a concealed carry permit yet, but I'd like to know what condition y'all keep those in as well.

Glock19 Gen4, carried, round in chamber, 16 total. On bed side table, at night.

Steyr AUG in safe. AK47 in Safe. Both loaded magazines, breach empty, bolt forward, action relieved. Rack and go. Either one.

Glock 19 and M&P9, round chambered in a Gunvault if I am home. Colt commander, round chambered, mag topped off, cocked and locked (main carry gun).

AR-15, bolt open, 28 in the mag behind it and safety on. Kept in the safe usually)

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who keeps a round in the chamber. My wife thinks it is a little strange. She keeps her Sig P229 on the nightstand with the loaded magazine out of it and lying next to it.

My wife thinks it is a little strange. She keeps her Sig P229 on the nightstand with the loaded magazine out of it and lying next to it.

Everyone is different. I personally will not leave a loaded gun out on my nightstand at night. I have a tendency to get up and move around when I am not exactly coherent (get water, stretch legs a little), and I don't want to be able to access a firearm unless I have full knowledge and control of my actions. That is why I like my gunvault. I don't think I would ever have a problem without it, but I really don't want to test that theory... Better safe than sorry, IMO.

I think the main thing is to have the gun, a light and the phone where you can find them in the dark without fumbling around. Just like my keys, I have a specific spot for them so they're not misplaced when I'm in a hurry.

I store most weapons unloaded in the safe. Most of my ammo is stored separately, but I keep some mags/clips/loaders, etc., stored loaded and ready in the safe.

For a carry handgun, when I get home, I keep it loaded but secured in the holster (that covers the trigger). I think it's nearly as ready, but much safer when sitting around in a drawer, on a shelf, under the pillow, whatever.

I've had a "Safepacker" for years, also. It's a padded cordura nylon case designed to protect a handgun during outdoor activities, but is good for storage, too.

If the gun has a safety it is on and the gun is loaded and cocked. If it has a decocker the gun is loaded and decocked. Revolvers are hammer down on a live round in a full cylinder.

The guns in the safe are all empty.

No chambered rounds unless it is on my person. I give a pass to DA revolvers. I have had my nightstand gun in my hand and the safety off before I was awake. Sooo, after that, no more C1 1911 by the bed for me.

I keep my 642 in loaded in my pocket 24/7.

The rest are locked in a gun safe. The exception is one rifle I keep handy, (unloaded) in case that mountain lion who's been hanging around desides to have my horses for dinner.

A partial exception, I might have one or part of one stuck in the lathe or milling machine, being repaird or built.

Navy Joe, I hope that never happens to me, but if it does, I would most definitely no longer keep my nightstand gun in C1.

G26 EDC is always chambered (and holstered) along with my G17 HD gun.

No chance of accidentally grabbing the trigger in the middle of the night if needed. I don't use the thumb break that's in the picture.

13466222496121215815641.jpeg

I want to be able to use either gun with just one hand. Chances are that you will need both hands to chamber a round and what if you are in the middle of a fight?

My carry and bedside revolvers are loaded and ready. When I carry my 1911 it is in condition 1. My shotgun has a loaded tube, empty chamber. The AR is in condition 1.

I have kids, so I keep my M&P Pro in a NanoVault, loaded magazine, empty chamber. I've never been too hot on leaving a striker fired firearm laying around with a loaded chamber. If it was a hammer fired weapon, I would leave it loaded, one in the chamber, decocked. Not an option for the M&P though.

I also have my Mossberg M590 in "cruiser safe - 1" in the locker downstairs. Cruiser safe means loaded tube, nothing in the chamber, - 1 meaning I don't have it fully loaded. I leave it that way in case I feel the need to use a slug first instead of the buckshot that is in the tube.

When I CC, I keep either the M&P or my Keltec PF9 loaded, with one in the chamber at all times.

I also have kids, and also keep my gun in a nonovault when it's not on me.

However, I do keep a round in the chamber in both my XDs and my PPQ. I find - for me - knowing that there's a round in the chamber makes me always treat them like there's one in the chamber. I had a scary experience with a gun that I "knew" was unloaded a couple years ago, and this seems to work.

I used to have a Minivault, which is the one with the 4 buttons and a programmable code, but switched to the Nanovault. No batteries or power outages to worry about. I keep the key taped to the underside of my bed frame, back to where you would have to flip the bed upside down to find it if you didn't know it was there, but easily accessed if you know where it is.
All of our bed rooms are on the second floor, so from the moment my alarm goes of, full sprint, it would take someone roughly 7 seconds to make it to the first landing. It takes me roughly 5 seconds to go from laying in bed, to round in the chamber, covering the hallway and stairs. My fiance is about 6 seconds. Still working on her speed a little. :p

Navy Joe, I hope that never happens to me, but if it does, I would most definitely no longer keep my nightstand gun in C1.

The good news is that I did not shoot the imaginary bad guy who was standing over my bed and choking me, woulda cost me some plaster. The bad news is crazy dreams happen after 5 minutes of sleep if you go 30 hours or so without sleeping.

Let's just say that there 'might' be an unloaded firearm in the safe. Matter of fact, I know a BP revolver is unloaded. Odds are, if you pick one at random and just pull the trigger, it'll go off.
Definitely true about all the SD weapons. Condition One.

Back