Ruger LCP II vs. Sig P365 Easy of Carry

I have both guns also. The LCP II is in my pocket always.

If I go out the 365 goes with me. It is a breeze to carry even here in Georgia where it is not often jacket weather.
I carry under a button up shirt untucked or a T shirt. Usually OWB but sometimes AIWB.

Cool, For my first dedicated carry pistol, I think the LCP 2 was a great choice. I've decided to wait for the Taurus G3c to use as a 9mm larger carry pistol. Looks like they fixed the two things I wasn't happy about with the G2c (Trigger and sights). For the money, seems like an incredible pistol from the initial reviews.

I have been shooting Pocket guns for years and shoot them on a regular schedule. And I train with them just like a Range gun.
I have a standard rule. If I cannot shoot a gun for a minimum of 200 rds per session I will not own it.
Recently took a new Kahr p380 to the range shot 200 rds of ammo testing the gun. NOT once did I even think about recoil. It simply was not something that even came to mind
I shoot both the Pico and the Kahr all the time. Both very mild shooting guns and recoil is no issue. I have not shot my LCP in about a year. Just do not like the gun at all. Just unpleasant to shoot, especially compared to the others.

eVsR9lf.jpg

Do you have the LCP or the LCP 2? I've shot both and now own the LCP 2, the LCP 2 is a MUCH better shooter, especially after putting the hogue grip on it.

You ask an interesting question and I went with both because each has its advantages and disadvantages.
I find the P365 (I own two both bought two years ago) to be the best all-around carry pistol I have ever owned. That said, for me, it is not a pocket pistol as it is just a bit too big and heavy for anything but a cargo pocket and that is not for me at all. I do have a lot of success AIWB in all types of clothing even tucked in using my Kusiak or Vedder holster. While at work I carry OWB with a twelve round mag.

My little LCP II is tiny, light, and disappears in a pocket holster even in a pair of lightweight wool suit pants. I carry it most while on walks or on a quick trip to the store. I mostly use a Talon pocket holster and it fits perfectly in the back right pocket of my jeans. It came with a soft pocket holster that works perfectly and allows you to keep your hand on your gun when walking in a place you would rather not be. It is the perfect gun to carry when you cannot carry a gun.

The Ruger will require more practice but I find it easy to shoot accurately at 30". I recommend painting the front sight a shade of the color you choose which I found to be very helpful. I also recommend if you have large hands, a cheap set of Talon stick on grip wrap Not shown in my pic. They hade a huge difference for me.

To answer your question, I have a lot of guns so I say both. If you only want the gun for self-protection and wear a lot of different clothes, look closely at the Ruger LPC II but plan on a lot of practice both live fire and WITH EMPTY GUN drawing from concealment and dry fire.
20200319_064716.jpg

20170913-120743.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for your input. I went with the LCP II and think I made the right decision as it is very easy to carry.

I may still pick up a Sig P365 or a different sub-compact 9mm pistol to carry when I want something more, but really happy I chose the LCP II.

Since this thread is still going, I'm going to throw in my 2¢.

I've been carrying an LCP since last Summer and I love it. It's ridiculously easy to carry, so easy in fact that it honestly requires more effort to leave it behind than it does to carry it because you can just slip it into a pocket and go.

To me, the SIG P365 is an interesting firearm in a "It's cool that they could make a 9mm that small that holds so many rounds" sort of way, but it's not a firearm that I would ever choose for carry. Yes, it fills a niche for those who specifically desire the smallest, lightest, highest capacity 9mm pistol around, but personally I'd sooner opt to carry a Ruger LC9s or a Glock 19. To me, the P365 just falls into a size category which is basically too big to pocket carry yet too small for IWB carry or to fit my hand nicely.

When it comes to EDC, I carry a Smith & Wesson SW40VE which is a compact pistol about the size of a Glock 19 and a Ruger LCP as a backup. If I wanted something inbetween, then I would get a Ruger LC9s.

After a ton of research, I've come to a similar conclusion. If I have to IWB carry, the slight size difference of the P365 vs. other subcompacts that are slightly larger doesn't seem to be of much benefit.

The LCP 2 on the other hand is small enough for much more carry options (Pocket, IWB, Sneaky pete, etc) and is really not comparable when it comes to ease of carry.

I do plan to get a 9mm sub-compact, but have not fully decided on which model yet and the P365 is loosing favor with options that are a bit larger. It seems many are now preferring the P365 XL over the P365 which then puts it's size back in line with many other options.

I don’t agree that the P365XL is in the same line as many other options. As someone that has carried a Glock 26 and a M&P 9c and other options as well the P365XL is notably slimmer. Originally I didn’t think it would make a difference. It does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me, the SIG P365 is an interesting firearm in a "It's cool that they could make a 9mm that small that holds so many rounds" sort of way, but it's not a firearm that I would ever choose for carry. Yes, it fills a niche for those who specifically desire the smallest, lightest, highest capacity 9mm pistol around...

Actually not really a new concept. The Kel-Tec P11 and the SCCY CPX-2 both are 9mm semis with a 10+1 capacity, and both are smaller and lighter than the P365. They also sell for less than half the price of the P365. They may not compare to the Sig in other respects, but they are small, light, high capacity 9mm handguns.

I don’t agree that the P365XL is in the same line as many other options. As someone that has carried a Glock 26 and a M&P 9c and other options as well the P365XL is notably slimmer. Originally I didn’t think it would make a difference. It does.

I would put it in comparison with the Glock 43x, which now has a 15 round flush magazine, yet a similar size and profile of the P365 XL. The width on the P365 XL is 1.1 inches which is comparable with many others in this same size class as well.

I would put it in comparison with the Glock 43x, which now has a 15 round flush magazine, yet a similar size and profile of the P365 XL.

One other option isn’t my definition of many options, that said sure. The P365XL gives you the option of a shorter grip height if you want it or the option of using 15 rd magazines. To me if I’m going to carry something with the height of the 43X I’ll just carry a Glock 19. But I haven’t owned a 43X yet so maybe I’ll change my tune if I do.

As for the width, Lucky Gunner has a video on the P365XL that mentions that. I’m not sure at what point they measured that because I’ve had pistols with that width and they in no way feel as slim. Single measurements on paper don’t always capture everything.

Edit: for giggles I got out my calipers. The grip is 1.037” in width at the widest part. The slide is 0.900” in width without the controls and 1.010” at the controls. At the magazine release it is 1.045”. The only place where it is 1.1” is at the bottom of the grip where it is flared for easier magazine insertions. There it is 1.147”.

I added a picture that shows the height difference with a Glock 19 (same height as a 43X). You also see the difference in width of the grips and you see the flaring at the end of the grip of the P365XL that accounts for that 1.1” measurement.
e2a40efe1bc65730e385389ddcb51328.jpg

Last edited:
That is pretty cool, thanks. In this case I basically own the handguns I want to compare. The difference would be the width of the 43X versus the Glock 19, but the height comparison will be the same. To me the difference is noticeable.

That is pretty cool, thanks. In this case I basically own the handguns I want to compare. The difference would be the width of the 43X versus the Glock 18, but the height comparison will be the same. To me the difference is noticeable.

Yea, with that said, there's many other options with similar length or widths, etc as the P365 XL.

The P365 was in a class of it's own when first released for it's size and capacity, but with the XL, I don't see the advantage to be that great compared with other double stack 9mm options on the market.

Not saying it's not a great pistol, but the main drive of the P365 was how compact it was for a 10+1 9mm. the XL is significantly larger than the P365 and puts it more on par with a bunch of other competitive options.

Yea, with that said, there's many other options with similar length or widths, etc as the P365 XL.

The P365 was in a class of it's own when first released for it's size and capacity, but with the XL, I don't see the advantage to be that great compared with other double stack 9mm options on the market.

Not saying it's not a great pistol, but the main drive of the P365 was how compact it was for a 10+1 9mm. the XL is significantly larger than the P365 and puts it more on par with a bunch of other competitive options.

If you want to go a different route rock on. I’ve owned literally dozens of compact and subcompact pistols. I find the 365XL a unique combination of attributes in terms of height, width, and length. There are pistols that are similar in the individual dimensions, but it’s the combination of all of them that make the XL appealing to me personally. As for significantly larger than a standard P365, I’ve handled both pretty extensively. I don’t want a pistol as small in the grip as the P365 if I’m going to carry IWB, and as you’ve pointed out it’s not really a pocket pistol. If I’m going to carry IWB anyway to me the P365XL makes sense. The added barrel length isn’t a concern in terms of concealment, and the grip is just large enough for me to get a full grip.

Which pistol does or doesn’t work for a person or is or isn’t that appealing to a person isn’t universal. A lot of it is personal preference (similar to people liking or not liking the LCP II). That’s no doubt true with me here. My point was in my experience the XL was noticeably different for me to keep it around (when I originally figured I’d sell it after trying it out).

Last edited:
If you want to go a different route rock on. I’ve owned literally dozens of compact and subcompact pistols. I find the 365XL a unique combination of attributes in terms of height, width, and length. There are pistols that are similar in the individual dimensions, but it’s the combination of all of them that make the XL appealing to me personally. As for significantly larger than a standard P365, I’ve handled both pretty extensively. I don’t want a pistol as small in the grip as the P365 if I’m going to carry IWB, and as you’ve pointed out it’s not really a pocket pistol. If I’m going to carry IWB anyway to me the P365XL makes sense. The added barrel length isn’t a concern in terms of concealment, and the grip is just large enough for me to get a full grip.

Which pistol does or doesn’t work for a person or is or isn’t that appealing to a person isn’t universal. A lot of it is personal preference (similar to people liking or not liking the LCP II). That’s no doubt true with me here. My point was in my experience the XL was noticeably different for me to keep it around (when I originally figured I’d sell it after trying it out).

For sure, I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm simply noting that the size difference between the XL vs. other options on the market is much less pronounced than the P365 vs. other options on the market.

If the goal is the easiest and lightest pistol to carry, the P365 is a top contender with factoring in that it's 9mm and holds 10+1. The XL looses this clear advantage in terms of it's size vs. competitors. The LCP II and other pocket 380's are in a different class all together.

Preference will be completely up to the individual person and i'm not trying to state that X handgun is better than Y handgun, most modern handguns are excellent.

I know the tiny sized high round count mags are the thing of the P365. To me however, it's the decreased width double stack that is the game changer.

TunnelRat's photo demonstrates that exceptionally well.

I know the tiny sized high round count mags are the thing of the P365. To me however, it's the decreased width double stack that is the game changer.

TunnelRat's photo demonstrates that exceptionally well.
That's next to a Glock 19 which I would not consider a sub-compact. If you put it next to a Glock 34x, the width is identical. Many sub-compact double stacks are in the 1 inch to 1.2 inch width (P365 xl is 1.1" per Sigs specs).

Like I went over, the 1.1” is at the magazine flaring. The grip is noticeably thinner as is the slide. The photo above shows that pretty well. Most subcompacts, as was traditionally defined, are double stacks. Given that a Glock 26 is the same width as a Glock 19 it’s a valid comparison in my mind in terms of width. The 365XL and 43X are newer animals than the standard when it comes to width. To get something that thin before you generally needed a single stack
22ce8610fb1a49fdeccacfcda3a850bd.jpg

Left to right: Glock 19, a Glock 26 with Magpul 12 rd magazine, and then the P365 XL. The XL has the same capacity as the Glock 26 in this configuration but feels much thinner in the hand (the trigger reach is a lot more on the Glock 26 as it is also wider front to back).

The website you linked before shows the differences in width pretty well if you do the back view.
https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/glock-g26-gen5-vs-sig-sauer-p365-xl

Last edited:
Back