Ruger LCP II vs. Sig P365 Easy of Carry

Fella, in my photos you can see the P365 is huge compared to the LCP. And then the weight difference.

Sure, the Sig is the same size as the smallest 9mm CM9 with double the rounds. But the CM9 is also large for the pocket COMPARED to the LCP.

Here is my P3AT vs my CM9. Huge difference. Overall larger? no. Compared to? YES. https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589033

If you want a nightmare, you'll see in that same thread I started I compared my Diamondback DB9 9mm and to my LCP. Exact same size. Every dimension. Tiny 9mm. Same round count as the LCP. 9mm. Total crap gun though :)

You've got all the pieces you need to make the decision. :) The LCP is always smaller and weighs less. It will always, ALWAYS, be easier to carry than something even slightly bigger and heavier. There is no changing that.

Again, go LCP gen2, not LCP II. The II has drop safety concerns and is larger than the LCP gen2. Any improvements? not really.

Last edited:
Do you pocket carry the LCP II?

What makes the LCP much easier to carry vs. the Sig?

If you were to IWB carry, would the LCP still be much easier than the Sig?

How much does the extra weight of the Sig affect the carry ability vs. the weight of the LCP?

I do pocket carry the LCP II. The carry ease of the LCP II really comes down to it being a smaller and significantly lighter pistol.

Or to put it another way with the P365 in pocket you not only know its there you FEEL its there all the time. The LCP II is more like carrying my wallet.

Of course with the P365 you undeniably have a more powerful pistol with more rounds and some may also shoot it better. If there is a range that rents guns near you that would be worth doing.

As to IWB carry that is something I have no experience with and don't want to speculate.

I have the"

CM9 (2)
Nano (3)
LC9s
Smith 642
Ruger LCR9mm
CW380
P380
Beretta Pico (3)
LCP
Keltec P32

There is no question that Weight makes a HUGE difference. 95% it is one of the Pocket guns 380 and Smith 642, I carry. Most especially in the Summer. On the hottest of days the P32.

Just a matter of physics the Sig at around18 oz is not going to be as comfortable as a LCP at around 10 oz. and ammo has weight as well.Facter in any holster, and other crap you carry around. And in a pair of shorts?

Cool,

Thanks guys, LCP it is.

Don't need another weapon for home defense nor do I want a dual role pistol. Sounds like the LCP is going to be the best option for EDC.

Thank you!

My LCP II stays in its provided fabric holster and drops easily into cargo shorts pockets in the summer, or coat pockets in colder weather. I prefer to use the top pocket of cargo shorts for the LCP as opposed to the lower thigh pocket. Any weight in the thigh pocket tends to flop around when walking, but in the top pocket I forget it is there.

In the cooler months I carry my LCPII (my fav of the tiny 380's) in the breast pocket of a flannel shirt. Yeah, it's that small, light, and easy to carry. That's an easy pocket to draw from.

If I am walking the dog I will carry a snub revolver in my back pocket, but in general I don't prefer carry in back pockets or hip pockets. Hip pockets are kind of awkward to draw from, and all but impossible sitting down. Back pockets, I don't want to sit on my handgun.

Most of the year I carry an LCR in the cargo pocket of pants or shorts. It's light enough that it doesn't make my shorts sway, and cargo pockets are easy to reach sitting and standing.

I don't have a 365, but I think my G43 is a similar size. I consider it to be more of a small belt pistol than a pocket pistol. To me it seems like it might be tough to wrangle out of a pocket in a hurry, though I admittedly haven't given it much of a chance in that role. I carry pistols that size OWB with a cover shirt sometimes and with no problems.

Cool, yea it sounds like the LCP II is in it's own class. The P365 is def going to be easier to carry than my Glock 19, but still going to have similar constraints (IWB) vs. the LCP II seem extremely versatile and can be carried easily in a variety of ways, no matter the outfit/climate.

I'm not looking to go into combat, and hope to never have to use it, but in a defensive role, 6 rounds of .380 with modern JHP rounds should be enough to stand a chance much better than the Sig or my Glock 19 at home.

Plus, as I am new to concealed carry, I figure it's best to make it as easy as possible to develop the habit.

Now, just waiting for them to get back in stock at my local Bass Pro.

I don’t find the P365 hard or inconvenient to carry, but then again I carry a double stack most commonly. This varies a lot by person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Kel-Tec P3A-T. Basically the same gun as the LCP as well as the Sig 365 and a Glock G43. The Sig is a little bigger than the Kel-Tec, but I don't have any issues carrying it IWB and out of sight. The upgrade in cartridge and ammo capacity is well worth it to me. I can't remember the last time I carried the 380 anywhere.

Until someone else says it, I will continue :)

The LCP II is almost as thick as the P365.

:)

The LCP gen2 is where it's at. If it were P365 vs LCP II, I wouldn't immediately say LCP.

I own both and switch between them for EDC. The P365 is ideal for IWB carry in any situation where an untucked shirt is appropriate. I carry the LCP II on days where I have to wear a suit because it easily fits in any pocket (suit jacket, front pants, or rear pants). The pocket holster that comes with the LCP II works perfectly and I have no issues with it hanging up during pocket draw. I also carry the LCP II when running.

The sights on the LCP II are significantly better than the original LCP, but the black-on-black can be a little hard to pick up. I painted the front sight orange, which helps a lot, but they are still nowhere near as good as the Siglite night sights on the P365. Both are excellent guns, but if I had to pick one strictly for concealed carry it would be the LCP II.

I have the two calibers of LCP II and the M&P Shield in 9mm. Also from Florida (Venice) and I sunbird in Las Vegas. I tend to carry the LCP II 380 most due to its light weight and I use Lehigh Defense Xtreme Defense rounds to get penetration AND hollow-point-like wound channel in that small caliber. If I'm a bit more nervous about where I'm going (esp. Las Vegas) I'll put up with the M&P Shield extra weight for the extra bang.

I guess that the original poster was interested in a pocket carry pistol for very light clothing there in Florida.

Here in KY where the summer's are in the high 80's with matching humidity, the walk around the mall/town/farmer's market clothing choice is t-shirt, cargo shorts with belt, and what used to be called "sneakers". Aside from beach or pool wear, those clothing choices allow more concealment choices.

For those similarly attired, (t-shirt & cargos), I'd recommend the Sig P365 for it's "big gun" firing ease, accuracy, and just about 100% reliability, plus capacity. It'll work if you insist on AIWB carry, but I find a high-riding, quality OWB is as easy to conceal and presents no down side to carry and presentation. YMMv. (I'm not inclined to use an AIWB holster for the long-debated reasons: offers no real advantage in concealment while pointing at your vitals, and makes practice re-holstering a vital consideration from a safety standpoint, especially when the Adrenalin is pumping. This point of view will draw (no pun intended) cries of "Not So" from advocates, but seems readily evident to me.)

For the given choice of an LCP vs. a Sig P365, I'll always go for the gun that's a better shooting choice, then dress accordingly. Give these two choices, the Sig wins every time, and will do nicely out to 25 yds...mine's been outstanding close in, and will suffice for cranial, playing card sized groups, to 20 yds. Hard to question that kind of performance, with virtually equal conceal ability.

Best regards and good luck with your choice, OP. Rod

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input! I decided on the LCP2 for a variety of reasons.

1. There are very few options that are more easy to conceal and the LCP 2 offers a very large range of options from pocket carry, IWB, OWB, Sneaky Pete holster that actually could pass for a cell phone case, etc.

2. Weight, the loaded weight of the LCP 2 is about 13 oz vs. 22+ for the Sig which really restricts any option of pocket carry and you need to "dress to carry" vs. the LCP being able to carry in almost any attire.

3. Availability, The local gun stores have not had a P365 in stock for a couple months now, I got the LCP 2 and it was half the price of the P365, although, .380 ammo is surprisingly expensive compared to 9mm, which I have a ton of.

4. If I am going to "Dress To Carry" There's a lot of firearm choices that are slightly larger than the P365 and offer the same benefits (9mm, good shooters, etc.) I can even carry my Glock 19 without much trouble if I intentionally dress to do so.

5. I will most likely purchase other sub-compact firearms in 9mm in the future, and possibly a P365 for when I can/want to carry a larger firearm, but none of them can compete with the tiny LCP 2 for easy of carry, and it's better to have a firearm than not have one.

Anyways, I took it to the range yesterday in stock configuration, It shot well, definitely very snappy in stock form and much harder to shoot than a larger 9mm pistol like my Glock 19, but performed well and I really like the trigger for it's size.

Here's a pic of it after getting the "upgrades" today.

Overall, very happy with my purchase! Def understand why someone would choose the P365, but for my situation, it's exactly what I was looking for.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_58881.JPG
    IMG_58881.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 449
Good choice. You can carry it in virtually any pocket of any piece of clothing.

If you are wearing "real clothes" you can can carry the P365 or dozens of other carry handguns.

The LPC and P3AT/P32 are pretty much in a class by themselves.

I have the LCP and the 365; the LCP while thin can be brutal to shoot more than a mag or two; the SIG is much nicer and more accurate. The LCP is better than harsh words, but 9mm in a gun the size of the 365 packs a nice punch without beating up the web of your hand

Yea, I'm curious to see how it shoots with the talon grip on it and the 7 round mag, I have a feeling it will be much more comfortable.

But, there's not comparison in size. The LCP 2 gives me far more options to carry than the P365 would. I'm considering picking up a Taurus G2c to use for days when I can carry a larger gun, seems to be a really great carry gun for the money.

Has anyone tried the 13 lb recoil spring on the LCP 2? I read quite a few things that it makes it a much softer shooter as well. Just not sure I want to change recoil springs on a carry gun.

Back