Ruger Gunsite Scout .308

I added a Caldwell Bipod to my GSR last weekend. So far I like it a lot- it's a lot of fun. It attaches/detaches really easily. It extends from 6-9" and weighs 12 Oz.

It's a toss up - the bipod is fun but I really like how sleek and maneuverable these rifles are before all the attachments.

Hopefully I will find a nice LER scope soon- I think it may be the winner. Between the red-dot and the peep sights I think I like the peep sights best. Plus they don't need batteries!

image_zps150a48b3.jpg

DATL, thanks for advice. I think I am going to have to go with the mini 30 or the GSR. .223 AR's are all gone here for the most part I think, Stag has a 1 yr back order. So I think I could find a mini 30 and for sure a GSR because its a bolt. I wish I would have cash a while back to get an AR. I really like the looks of the GSR, and I have other bolt guns. I also shoot mini 14's at work so I familure with that platform.

DATL,

I agree with Crow Hunter. Several years ago I made my version of a scout rifle from a Savage 110 in 308. I cut the barrel down to 18.5" and re-crowned it with a Manson tool. I used a B-Square scout mount for a Rem 700 and a red dot scope. I liked the blind magazine because thats the natural balance point for carrying.
I built it mainly for deer hunting and fairly close range work. It worked very well until the plastic stock failed. It cracked where the rear pillar bolt goes through on the bottom. Cheap stock and poor design!!
I am in the process of building a new stock for that action and plan to put it back in service just like it was before.

If you are looking to build one yourself there are many options.

Ah, yeah building one sounds like a lot of fun! I know there are going to be more and more options because it seems like more and more gun manufacturers are allowing their bolt action rifles to be offered with a magazine fed platform.

After I get a good scout scope I am hoping to start a good M1a build!

t's a toss up - the bipod is fun but I really like how sleek and maneuverable these rifles are before all the attachments.

Besides wrecking the fast handling qualities of the Scout Rifle, that bipod is too short to use in many field situations (high grass/sage/brush) and impairs the use of a shooting sling that is useful in nearly any situation..... including just carrying the rifle.

With practice, using a shooting sling is much faster, and just as steady as a bi-pod ..... and has none of the drawbacks.

Also, remember that though they are very expensive, skills weigh nothing and take up no space at all.

Ah interesting point. FWIW the bipod in my pic is on the lowest setting but I still see your point- and agree with several of your statements! I like how one guy on here previously mentioned that in real world practicality he would just use his backpack to shoot on in lieu of a bipod.

I like how one guy on here previously mentioned that in real world practicality he would just use his backpack to shoot on in lieu of a bipod.

I've never voluntarily carried a ruck big enough (and packed tight enough!) to be anywhere as stable as a good shooting sling used correctly.

I do carry a pair of Stoney Point shooting sticks when hunting..... they are slow to set up, but when I sit down on stand, I set them up..... anything that is so far out that I really need them to steady the gun is far enough out that I have penty of time to get the sticks set just right ...... they take up very little space on my hunting belt when folded, weigh almost nothing, and don't get in the way when speed/handling is more important than extreme precision, like when you are facing one way and the deer sneaks up behind you......

The sticks are also useful for setting the shotgun barrel on while turkey hunting, leaving your hands free to work slate, box and shaker calls...... with the stock on your shoulder, the barrel in the sticks out in front of you, a mouth call in, and a couple of different calls in your lap, you can sound like several different turkeys- imitating a fight has brought a dozen+ jakes running across a 400 yard wide open field in the fall for me before.....

Back