Ruger Gunsite Scout .308

Willie Sutton:
Why dont you post some pictures of the scout rifle prototypes that you have in your safe? Im very curious...

I couldn't get past the mere 16" barrel on a .308. Yikes.

I built my own Scout'ish rifle with a Tikka T3 CTR (20") and a new CDI bottom metal to support 10rd mags. It's perfect.

Having worked one-on-one with Colonel Cooper on the Scout Rifle concept in the 1980's, and having a few of the original prototypes in my safe, here is what I believe Jeff would have said about the Ruger;

What they have managed to manufacture is a modern Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine with a forward scope mount, not a Scout Rifle as defined at Gunsite during the Scout Rifle conferences. It's close... but it's not a Scout Rifle.

Those who think that it should have a rear-mounted scope do not understand the Scout Rifle concept at all. Ditto those who favor the extended magazine.
Or the lack of a bipod.
Or the lack of a mid-mounted flush sling attachment point for a Ching Sling.
Or the presence of a conventional front sight, rather than one mounted on the forward edge of the front scope mount.

etc., etc...

Hate to be a scrooge, and I am VERY sure it's a VERY nice rifle, but it misses being a true Scout Rifle by a mile.

BTW, the Enfield Jungle Carbine was one of the rifles that we studied when coming up with the concept. Ditto the Remington 660, and the Krag Jorgensen. Each had it's own strong points and weak points. They were all studied in detail. Jeff's own personal "proto-scout" had a short CZ action. ine was built on the Remington Model 7 action. Neither was perfect. Only the Steyr Scout is a definitive Scout Rifle as defined by the Colonel.

Willie

I understand Coopers design. I also disagree with many of his requirements.

-Forward mounted scope sounds great in practice, it is lousy in usage other than as a "red dot" type optic and it is inferior to that in my experience. If I am going to lose most of the magnification advantage, I might as well get the no parallax advantage/improved visibility of aiming point of the red dot. Besides, with a small magnified optic like a 2-7X33 you still have most of the peripheral vision of the forward mounted optic with a much better magnified view. Yes you lose stripper loading ability, but you have detachable magazines.;)

-Bipod. Why? It isn't going to be something that you are running round extended all the time, if you have time to deploy and set up a bipod, you have time to setup a good shooting postion on a rock, log, backpack, etc and you aren't limited by the height of the bipod.

-Load one, shoot one. Again, why? This was proven a useless feature in WWI, to the point of potentially being a liability if you had the cut-off engaged when you really didn't need it to be. With detachable mags, just swap to a new magazine when you run empty and keep a full magazine "in reserve" for an emergency. (Better continuation of training since magazines are changed all the time, magazine disconnect, probably not that often)

-Ching Sling. Neat concept. Not that useful in my experience. If I have time to "sling up", I have time to build a good shooting position using a conventional sling or move to a point that I can get a good rest. If I don't have time to sling up, I need to make a shot right now, which means I need to get a flash sight picture and pull the trigger not grabbing a sling and threading my arm through it.

I do like the light weight, bolt action, detachable magazine, fixed front sight features though, flash suppressor (I would prefer it was removable so a combo flash/suppressor mount could be substituted. Like an AAC Blackout)

I would want it with a rear sight that would allow the use of either a conventional or forward mount (fold down or pop up), semi flush fit detachable magazines, controlled round feed action, light weight polymer stock.

Like the Steyr Scout without the bipod, extraneous sling point, magazine cut-off although I do like the option of having a 2nd magazine in the stock. (Except the ridiculously high price)

But, I am just a shooter. I don't have the experiences that Col Cooper did, so he probably knows something that I don't.

I put a couple of mag's worth through a friend's Ruger Scout. Forward mount scope. Looks to me to be as good a walking-hunting gun or truck gun as a person could ever want. Me, I'd use a 4- or 5-round mag, though. I like to carry a rifle at the balance point when I don't sling it on my shoulder.

Cooper on Scouts

I read and clipped about everything Cooper ever wrote (at least published) on "Scouts", and I had to have one. But who could afford a Steyr or custom 'smith work? Not me, that's for sure.

When the Savage Scout came, out, I could afford that. It 'missed" as well, length and weight wise, no bipod, but it was the only affordable factory option.

The Ruger Frontier is a trim light little package, I had to resist one about a month ago, used, at a big shop an hour from home.

The new Gunsite Scout is now an affordable factory option. I don't like the big box (4+1 of .308 will solve all my problems) nor the flash hider, but its an improvement on the Savage, not as sleek as the Frontier.

I'm beginning to think that the modern dot has eclipsed the 'scout scope" in utility. Such things did not exist (I don't think so anyhow) in reliable, compact form when Cooper did his initial stuff. And he did not like battery powered optics, period. But tiime has proven the modern dot is tough and here to stay.

Something like a Leupold Delta, or a Fastfire, mounted IER like a scoutscope, may be the next step in the evolution of the scout.

I purchased Ruger GSR about a year or so ago and it has become my most used 308 caliber rifle.

001-2.jpg

004-7.jpg

004-1.jpg

It is light, fast handling and carries well in the field and has sufficient magazine capacity to deal with most hunting and social situations that arise in the field (I live and hunt about 10 miles from the Mexican Border).

With regards to sighting systems, I have used the factory supplied adjustable sights, forward mounted Burris Fast Fire, a Weaver 2X handgun scope and conventionally (rear) mounted rifle scopes and all have worked well for me.

It is accurate with any decent ammo and it will turn in groups of less than an inch if I do my part.

I find that I get the best accuracy with bullets of 165 grains and heavier and groups tighten considerably with my handloads when the bullets are seated out to match the length of the magazine.

A lot of people ask whether they should buy the Ruger GSR or the Springfiled Armory Scout version of the M1A and to me it is an apples to oranges comparison.

That said as an owner of both platforms, who has hunted with both I will share the following:

Out of the box, the Ruger GSR blows the M1A away with respect to accuracy, ease of handling, weight distribution, trigger pull and will handle any 308/7.62X51 caliber ammo you can find with no need to defer to a gas system.

The Ruger Scout can be conventionally scoped without the use of secondary mounting system and when conventionally scoped it lends itself to a conventional cheek weld that requires no strange placement of the head/face or secondary cheek pad to administrate.

The barrel is factory threaded for use of a suppressor (if your so inclined) so there is no need to spend an additional 250 bucks for 5/8X24 suppressor interface and an adustable gas plug to get it to run with a Silencer in place.

With regards to cost, for the the price of an M1A Scout I can buy a Ruger GSR and 600-800 rounds of Federal Gold Medal Match, shoot for 6 or 8 months and have a pile of quality brass left over for reloading.

To me, the only advantage the M1A has over the GSR is magazine capacity and sustained rate of fire.

Now, I'm not bashing the M1A (I have 3, the SOCOM II, the Scout and the full sized loaded model with Stainless BBL) and appreciate the platform as much as anybody else but having spent days carrying both in the field, the Ruger GSR suits me and my needs a whole lot better.

M1A pics to appease those so oriented

000_0006.jpg

011-1.jpg

046.jpg

About the only thing that I would change on my Ruger GSR would be the addition of a tactical bolt knob. I find that the factory bolt knob small and easy to miss when running the bolt from the shoulder.

I am by no means stating that the Ruger GSR is "The Perfect Rifle" but for me it covers a whole lot of bases in one package for a reasonable price.

Something just sort of irks me about the scope being mounted so far forward. Maybe its just being so familiar with a conventionally mounted magnifying optic.

Although to the poster above me, The Burris fast-fire looks really awesome on it. I own one and I think its an awesome little reflex sight.

ATCDoktor, What sort of accuracy have you gotten from your Ruger?

Conventionally scoped with my hand loads and prepped brass I can get 3/4" groups at 100 yards.

That's with bullets of 165 to 175 grains seated out to reflect the full length of the magazine.

ATCDoktor, I like your style! The M1A is my favorite semi-auto rifle of all time. When the budget permits I will own one! I am a sucker for the one in the ad with the digital camo [wolf wistle].

@ MLeake, it was loud but I wasn't thinking about it in reference to anything else when last shot. Next time I go shooting I'll compare it with a few other rifles. There's a lot of app's to measure volume in the apple appstore- I may see if they work and what this GSR is working with!

@ Single Six, Ha ha thanks! Don't feel bad I felt the same way when I saw that guy's BADA$$ M1A LOL (j/k ATCDoktor) I think matte-silver would be awesome. I'm a duracoat junky myself.

@ alex0535, the front mounted scopes aren't for everyone! I gotta say though so far I LOVE the metal sights without any sort of optic. I'm going to play with several options, but thus far with having a little red-dot I LOVE the forward mounted optic. It's amazing how much easier it is to shoot with both eyes open. Again though it's still not for everyone!

@ Crow Hunter, you have some REALLY good points that were pretty thought provoking for me! You actually changed my plan for this rifle and probably have saved me some money! (Re: bipod, ching-sling, etc...) Hopefully I can get a chance to play with a ching sling to see what it's like. I don't mind the 16" barrel so far- I think it's great looking with the flash hider. But I can def. see the benefits of the 18" offering like the Aussie's get. I think the laminate stock is awesome but must admit the first thing I did when I brought the GSR home was to google to see if there were any light polymer stock options. I'm sort of torn because I really like the looks of the laminate, but the polymer would surely be lighter- which would be a win on a "scout" rifle!

I sure like mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDD3zFixb2g

Very versatile. Shoots a wide variety of loads very well. Subsonic and Supersonic, Jacketed and Cast, Light and Heavy.

I've had the best luck with 165 gr or Jacketed bullets and the best load in mine has been a Max published charge of IMR3031 (2573 fps average).

My best subsonic load is a 220 grain cast bullet - Lyman 311284 - over W231 and pushed to just under 1,000 fps. Very accurate and impressively hard hitting on steel.

Crow Hunter said:
What I would have preferred to see:

-18" bbl, even that is punishingly loud. (Comparison SCAR 17 vs Larue PredatAR with 18" bbl with the same AAC Blackout FH) -Conventional scope mounting position that didn't require removal the rear iron sights. -Lighterweight polymer stock instead of the heavy laminate stock. As it is, it is nearly as heavy as a semi, which would be my only reason to chose a bolt over a semi.

Ditto. I've thought of buying a Ruger American .308, cutting & crowning the barrel at 18", and adding BUIS to achieve that goal. And I think it could be done for under a GSR's MSRP....

Seeker_two I thought about doing something similar with a really old M77 I have. I just don't think there is a way to make it have a magazine. I didn't realize the Ruger American had a Mag. I need to polish up on my reading! Though I admittedly I'm very new to rifles as handguns have been my main distraction the last ten years.

Last edited:
I have one and really like it. Tried an eotech 512 on it but ended up with a Leupold FX II instead. The eotech went back on my AR where it came from.

Back