Ruger Gunsite Scout .308

Here's a couple of pics
deer-1.jpg
[/IMG]

scout_zps34925310.jpg

I really like the ruger poly mags.

A low powered scope conventionally mounted is faster at close range and more accurate at long range.

I find "both eyes open" shooting with a conventionally mounted 3x scope gives me a splitting headache from eyestrain- my right eyes focusing on an image close to it and the left out at the target is not going to work for me.

"Eyes on target" shooting with a scout scoped rifle is a wonderful thing, once you master it.....

I have a Ruger Frontier in 7-08, with a Leupold IER on it. It's a Keeper. When I get a suppressor for it, it will be the "Perfect Kid's Deer Gun".

Cooper stated that in competition "shoot and scoot" runs at Gunsite, those with the forward-mount scope scored higher. Granted, you need to have practiced with what to you might be a new system, but c'est la vie.

I've not done well with a forward mount scope, trying a friend's Savage Scout, offhand shooting. But I'd had some forty years of using conventionally mounted scopes and no prior use of the forward-mount system. I figure it just takes practice, getting used to a new idea. From the bench with another friend's Ruger Scout, some years later than with the Savage (last year, with the Ruger) I was doing okay with slow fire on steel at 200 yards and decent groups at 100.

I dunno. All in all, it's a pretty good rig.

DMacLeod nice looking rig! So far which scope setup do you like the best? I'm torn on the direction I want to go on my GSR. I want a good medium setup between a close quarters .223 assault rifle and a longer range setup 30-06 with a good scope. If that makes any sense. LOL.

How's the quality of those poly mags compared to the metal? I hear a lot of guys are preferring the poly so I suppose they must be pretty good!

Honesty compels me to opine that I find extended box magazines on bolt rifles clunky and ugly and forward mounted scopes less than optimal. Scout rifles are an interesting concept with limited real world utility. Similar to ching slings.

boattale, I completely understand the looks and forward mounted scope certainly aren't for everyone. I just get so bored with rifles that look like "grandad's ole aught six", then I also get bored of seeing suburban commando's super elite 50lb sniper rifle with a telescope mounted on the top. I don't find much utility in either of those extremes. (I know that's not what you were implying)

I do feel the scout rifle is ALL about utility though. I have even heard many people refer to it as a "utility rifle". I find utility in the concept of a light weight rifle, a magazine with greater capacity than 3, a picatinny rail, peep sights, short barrel, .308 (or 30-06...or any good sized and common ammo). But then again, I do not enjoy bench shooting for sub MOA. I get too bored, and I certainly get too bored when I have to reload every three or so shots. Oh, and did I mention Jeff Cooper is God :p

I've been VERY interested in this rifle since it came out, but haven't been stateside long enough to ever find one. I personally would like to see a variant with an 18-20" barrel, no flash suppressor. Also I have read and watched a few videos stating the Ruger M77s and Gunsite Scouts can have a binding bolt if the bolt throw isn't done in a particular fashion.

To me a bolt gun that would be used for any type of defense NEEDS a smooth and fast, trouble-free bolt if at all possible. Have you had any problems with your gun's bolt binding?

I've only handled them in the store but they seem way overpriced for a bolt action 308. It would be perfect at $400 but they want to add $400 for marketing hype.

Model12Win, I think the 18 barrel would be awesome. I see the Aussies get a variant like that, with no suppressor. Wonder if it'll come stateside!

In regards to the action binding- I am not sure if that means a failure to load a cartridge into the chamber, to cycle at all, or just an inconvenient "catch" or "hitch" when cycling the bolt. I have not experienced any sort of "hang up" while shooting this rifle if that helps. Out of the box it did not cycle super smooth. But it did not cycle so rough that I was worried or felt it inhibited me from cycling quick and efficiently. Many of the guys I shoot with have had their GSR's for a couple of years, and their GSR's got much smoother the more they shot them. If you see someone struggling to cycle one of these things (there's a video review where a popular tacticool guy does)- either they have a bad one and need to call ruger, or need to practice shooting a bolty a little more.

I will however admit my Kimber 8400 in 300WSM cycled significantly smoother out of the box...albeit significantly more expensive. The only M77 I have shot is one that I inherited my father. It was made in the 1970's and it is smooth as butter- much smoother than the Kimber even FWIW. I would see if you can rent a GSR at a range to see if you like it! That is, if you see value in the concept of it. If you don't see the value in a "scout" styled rifle then you most definetly won't like it!

GSR Pricing...

Chettt, It made me feel better about the price of the GSR by comparing it to the other Ruger offerings and the other scout rifle comparables. For example, the cheapest .308 Ruger you can get new is the American .308. It's @ around what $350 or so online? No mauser type extractor, peep sites (or any sights), picatinny rail, flash hider, or 10 round magazine. The model line jumps up to the M77's at, what no less than $550 or so online? These at least have the Mauser type extractor but still have floor plates and no 10 round mag's, metal sights, etc, etc...

I'm sure the sum of the extra goodies on the GSR aren't $200 over the M77. But when you add a flash hider, metal sights, picatinny rail, and detachable magazines- the price would have to at least be higher... than an M77. For me it was worth it. Nevertheless I'm sure there is some hype to the price.

In regards to the other manufacturers of scout rifles Steyr was out of the question for me due to price. So I felt that really only left me to consider Savage. Personally I'm just not as big of a Savage fan as I am Ruger. But their rifle is at least comparable to the GSR in form/function. Theirs is a little bit cheaper- like $50 to $100 less, I think? (correct me if I'm wrong I'm going from memory here). Those have a 20' barrel, no flash hider, and don't come with a 10 round mag. I like it though, and you can get a 10 rounder for it...

So when I held all that into consideration I figured the price of the GSR really wasn't all that bad!

Just picked one up. Great feeling rifle. Nice looking stock. Just put a conventionally mounted scope on the rifle and going to try and shoot it next week.

I have an M1A Scout, love the rifle. Carrying it out and about can be a little taxing, not light but shoots great.

I had to take off the rail to mount the scope, where can I get screws to fill the four holes I now have?

I really like the GSR, now I am torn between that, the AR, or a Mini 30. I want a good all around rifle for defense, and target shooting. I really like the 308 compaired to the .223, plus I am also tryin to think long term, weather or not they are going to enact another ban.

I certainly like the Gunsite Scout, and I wouldn't mind having one myself. However, the export version is the one I would try to hunt down. I don't feel like going through the hassle to get a suppressor so the threaded barrel would be useless to me. The extra 2" of barrel will help tame the muzzle blast and it gives a slightly longer sight radius when using the irons. It also comes in stainless, making caring for it easier.

There were some things Cooper had well figured out. Like the short. L.O.P. , light weight rifle, useful cartridge, very easy to have with you rifle.
However, being a military man it was his fall back to have an armorer to fix broken guns x . . Ruger on the other hand has been about Tough, useful tools.
In my view the Styer Scout is an elitist toy. The scout concept in action means the rifle needs to pretty much take care of itself. The blued steel may be OK in the desert but isn't too good along the coast or in heavy rain area's. When crawling around in thick brush,crap is going to get in the action, stuff gets in the bolt face, finds its way into little extractors and plunger ejectors . I think the Ching sling is a good idea . The short L.O.P. is mandatory. I would buy one if it was in 260 Rem or 6.5 Creed with an 8" twist. It would be more generally useful. An 18" barrel would be nice. The forward mounted scope is fine, execpt in low light and lots of stuff happens in low light. .
IMO Ruger should have gone with the M1A magazine. But they wouldn't be selling many mags. All in all tho. The Ruger Scout is a winner
Anyone that wants to test the scout reality, spend a couple months roaming in the brush non stop, sleeping in a bivy sack with very limited external heat source and snow on the ground and in the brush. With no armorer to fix your 3,000$ toy the Ruger will show their superiority in a true scout environment!

Last edited:
Has anyone mounted a different flash suppressor or removed it?

I had a savage scout a couple years ago and couldn't warm up to it. I handled the Ruger in the LGS the other day and I like it much better than the Savage. I am a lefty so being able to get the L handed version is a big ++.

Corrections Cop, I was in your same boots. My conclusion was that upon acquiring any of the three great rifles you named- I would surely find myself still wanting {ahem} needing one of the other three. I decided that all three needed to be acquired LOL. So I'm just saving for the others. But all three are awesome rifles. Personally I started with the GSR because I understand bolt action rifles to be the most reliable.

Cold Trigger Finger, you have some good points. While I have not tried a long eye relief setup in very low light conditions- I completely agree with your statements about GSR/bolt rifle/scout setups for situations where extended periods of time would be spent out in adverse conditions with no access to an armorer. Ha ha the bit about the $3K toy is priceless. I have a relative that is a hunting guide, and I have first hand seen the confused look on a guy's face when his uber expensive tactical rifle hangs up consistently after some messy, nighttime hog hunting. I'm not making a statement against semi-auto rifles or anything like that- just pointing out how funny it is when a guy gets all dressed up like a commando but doesn't know the first thing about keeping his rifle running.

Back