Ruger GP100 44 special

SansSouci heyjoe,

What is the largest law enforcement agency in America? Is it still NYPD?

yes NYPD...there are still police officers who were grandfathered in carrying revolvers. not many but there are some still.

I'm not jumping in on this to add to the obvious problem, but I am jumping in.

I'm a revolver guy because I choose to be a revolver guy.
I own over 40 different handguns of which two dozen are semi-automatic pistols and the remainder are revolvers.
Obviously I have choices, but when it comes to carrying on a daily basis to protect myself and my loved ones, my first choice is a revolver.
I feel more than comfortably protected with my five or six rounds in a cylinder and a speed strip in my pocket.
The best part is that it is my choice and no one else's, and everyone gets to make their own for themselves just the same.

On the flip side, NO one has the right to make that personal choice for anyone else, period. Nor does anyone have the right to judge another for their personal choice, period.
Who gives a rip whether anyone else agrees with someone else's personal choice, as it really doesn't amount to a hill of beans whether they do or they don't in the end, period.
Remember... opinions are like dirt-buttons. ;)

Now... I'm pumped about the GP100 in .44 Special, and I do have a fella to whom I've given a down payment for him to order one for me. WOOT!

He's actually ordering two revolvers for me. The GP100 and the Redhawk in an 8 shot .357 magnum. Wootle TOOT!!

Do I intend to ever carry the GP100? Dunno... maybe!
Do I care? Nope!
Do I have any real use for the Redhawk? Nope!
Do I care? Nope!

Does anyone else approve?
I don't care. :D

Last edited:
I've had a 4" GP100 since the late 90s, and I really like it a lot. That said, I'm intrigued by the .44 model.......however I don't know if I'm willing to pay the $689 price that my local shop is asking.I just don't 'need' a 44spl.

I'm quite certain that very few entertain that dilemma, 44 Special vs Glock.

I know I am not typical. I am a retired fed, former big city cop, Army MP and have been shooting competitively for about 40 years.

One of three guns I carry regularly is a S&W model 69 44 magnum loaded with light for caliber fast JHP's. My other carry guns are a Glock 31C and a LW 1911 Commander.

I am under impressed with 180 grain 40S&W, yawn.

Am gonna support any company that brings out a quality 44 special. Big fan of the caliber and occasionally carry an ultra Taurus 44 special, when not carrying the 45 lightweight commander.

Bedside gun is 4 in m29 with 180 jhp's at 1250 fps.

Will likely wait until the 2.75 in M69 version shows up to compare to the Ruger, before considering anymore purchases. Very easy to load a speer 200 gdhp to 1000 fps in 44 mag.

That sure is a sexy gun esp with the unfluted cylinder! But could someone please tell me why there's so much excitement about offering with a 44sp?

"But could someone please tell me why there's so much excitement about offering with a 44sp?"

Excellent accuracy, historic cartridge, a lot more "polite" than its magnum cousins.

I love the .44 Special, but I have absolutely no interest in owning a .44 Magnum.

Regarding revolvers for carry...

I've carried a revolver as my primary CCW for the better part of 30 years now.

I don't feel underarmed at all.

Even more important, why should I give a damn what anything thinks about what I choose to carry?

If you're not living my life, kindly stay out of it.

But.....but....but....San Souci does care very much about ya'll even though he is care free. Please care that he cares.

While y'all were talking, I went to the store.

Link to a post I made six years ago. Still waiting on the .41 mag, but here's the .44 spl.

attachment.php

Attachments

• gp44s1b.jpg
    gp44s1b.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 309
While y'all were talking, I went to the store.

That is nice on so many levels.... Why is it we don't have a drool/envious rage smilie?

Could do with one right now...

Now do your duty, Legionnaire: RANGE REPORT and PICFEST

Actually,the first rule of a gunfight is "Have a gun"

Another observation is that most exchanges of gunfire can be handled with a 5 shot wheel. I said "most",not all.

I absolutely do not think a single action revolver is a gun to recommend for SD carry. But if a top cowboy action shooter decided his SAA or New Thunderer was what he would carry,I'd shrug and say "He is armed" He is practiced and skilled.He can hit you quick with a big bullet.

If you carry a Shield or a Glock 43,in 40 S+W,you are armed.Popular guns.Off duty LEOs and many others carry them.They are cool because they are semi autos, right? Some folks will get controlled hits quicker with the GP-100.

Is the GP-100 "the gun" for a showdown with two guys with AK-47s? No.

Sometimes the best plan is assaulting through your attackers while shooting .yes.

What idiot would CHOOSE a handgun to take on two guys with AK-47s?

If we play "Yeah,but what if...." Sure,you can always have a "better" gun,for a situation.Unless its at home or in the truck.Then the Chief's Special you HAVE beats therace gun at home.

By the logic of the Prolific Alpha Poster,EVERYONE must carry a Glock 20 with a minimum of six extended 27 round magazines for reloads because you MIGHT have to stop a runamock dump truck squashing the million woman march AND and a pair of zoo escapee cape buffalo . I'd have to agree,Glock 20.
Might be a little collateral damage,but, c'est le guerre!".

Also true,the right person with a GP-100 MAY have been able to stop the Columbine killings,the Batman movie theater shooting,theSandy Hook shootings,or the Orlando nightclub shootings.In any of those cases,the bad guy is focused on killing unarmed people in front of him.The guy with the GP-100 (or any other good gun) can shoot him in the back!!(of the head,ideally)

Face to face? ANY handgun against an AR or AK,who am I betting on?

Get behind the bad guy? A T/C Contender single shot might do.Its a gun.

FWIW,I'm using a double stack 9 mm.So what? If someone carries a Charter Bulldog,and a speed loader,they are ARMED. And they might save MY life.

How about you carry what you prefer,or have available? Its YOUR life you are making choices about. Pond,ITS OK if you choose a different gun than I do!!

I respect that you have come a long way by being inquisitive and willing to learn.You try and you practice. I'dsay,from your outpost in Estonia,you are doing quite well.

You make reasonable choices FOR YOURSELF. But you don't argue down anyone else telling them how to live.

Last edited:
"Actually,the first rule of a gunfight is "Have a gun""

As far as I'm concerned, there is only ONE rule for a gunfight.

Survive.

At all costs, by all means, by any method, you survive.

All else is window dressing, nice stuff if you can remember it, and if it doesn't get you killed while you're trying to remember it.

Talk about thread drift...

Does anyone believe this 3in 5shot would be a "better" choice for self-defense than a Glock 19 stuffed full of HST's or Gold Dots? On the reverse, would one feel "safer" carrying a Glock 19 over the GP100 loaded with a cylinder of Buffalo Bore 255gr Keith SWC's in bear country? Neither is perfect for all scenarios but either could be used in the above.

I don't believe Ruger is producing this gun for anything other than to make something fun to shoot that's kind of lacking in the market. The Charter Arms guns fill a similar role as does the S&W 69 but the Ruger has some features not present on these other guns.

Finally, why is it some people seem to go out of their way to take the fun out of the very enjoyable hobby of gun ownership? If the GP100 44SPL isn't for you that's fine. Ruger didn't build this gun to personally offend you. Move on. Get over it.

Does anyone believe this 3in 5shot would be a "better" choice for self-defense than a Glock 19 stuffed full of HST's or Gold Dots?

For me yes, because I have very large hands and the Glocks do not fit me. I carry a customized fullsize Glock most of the time.

Back