Ruger GP100 44 special

Got to the range today. Put 25 rounds of Winchester 240 grain cowboy loads and 25 of my 200 grain hand loads through it. Unfortunately, I couldn't get my chronograph working properly, so no velocities. I'm guessing the cowboy loads would have been about 700 fps; the hand loads were definitely zippier--maybe 850? Both were quite comfortable.

All loads cut the paper cleanly. Here's a target of my hand loads at 15 yards, shooting single action with my forearms rested on the table.
attachment.php

And another ...
attachment.php

Group opened up to just over five inches at 25 yards. While I was pleased with the way the gun shoots, I am not happy with the front sight. I really don't like the fiber optic. It's probably "okay" for quick sight acquisition, but I'm much better with a plain black front sight, at least when trying to shoot for groups.

So enjoyable day, even though I wasn't able to get muzzle velocities, and I forgot my pistol rest, which would have given me a better read on the gun's inherent accuracy. But I'm more than satisfied; think I'll keep her!

Attachments

• tgt1.jpg
    tgt1.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 489
  • tgt2.jpg
    tgt2.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 489
Look at the meat around that forcing cone!

It's reassuring to know that if the bullets don't stop it you can beat it to death with the empty gun.

tipoc

Last edited:
Spent about four hours today, little over 200 rounds, on the first half of the shooting, the lead stuff.
Monday will do the jacketed loads.

So far, lead is averaging a shade above & below 3 inches for best 5-shot groups at 25 yards off a rest.
The gun's making me work to meet the caliber's potential, at the moment I'm thinking it may be what I'm measuring as oversized chamber throats.

If the trend continues with jacketed, I'll have my gunsmith double-check the chambers.
He has more precise chamber-measuring thingies than I do. :)

Today the handloaded lead bullets were .429 and .430, 200 & 240 grains.
Commercial loads were 200, 246, and 255, varying velocities.

Best commercial was a Fed 200 SWCHP that went a hair under 2 inches, best handload was a 200 LFN with Unique at just a hair over 2 inches.

Worst handload was a 240 Hornady swaged that did 5 inches even with three different Unique charge weights.

The rubbers may be oogly, as some have mentioned, but they are quite comfortable while shooting.
Denis

"Does anyone believe this 3in 5shot would be a "better" choice for self-defense than a Glock 19 stuffed full of HST's or Gold Dots?"

If you can't hit crap with the Glock, but can hit with the revolver?

Which is better, 17 misses or 5 hits?

The unfluted cylinder is a concern. It doesn't add strength but does add weight. But a person would have to hold it to get the full effect.

tipoc

The grip is a rubber version of the grooveless wooden Hogues used on the Match Champion.

On the MC, I thought the grips felt good, till I shot the gun, after which I changed my mind.
Just me.

The rubbers, though, were quite comfortable to shoot with on Saturday during a 200-round session.
Bit large for concealed carry, but a good fit otherwise.
Denis

Another 300 rounds yesterday, jacketed.
Gun seems to prefer lighter bullets, did its best with a Hornady XTP 180 & 2400 powder, ran 5 holes under 2 inches.
Denis

2" at 25 yds is not too shabby. The .44 special is a target round but a 3" revolver is not a target gun. I would probably speed up to a HS6 load if I had to get it done in 3 inches. Just a suggestion

Tried IMR 4227, 231, 2400, and Tite.
Figured four powders I normally have on hand & use should give a good introduction with five different bullets in handloads.

There's lots of room for experimentation.
Denis

I gave up on all of the powders that I tried in .44 Special.

They either required tiny charges that gave me ignition inconsistency, they were dirty as hell, or they gave me bad accuracy.

I now load only Trail Boss in .44 special. It' very clean, it has a high loading density, which means that I don't get ignition variations, and best of all I get EXCELLENT accuracy with it out of my S&W 24-3.

Use hp-38 under 200 lrnfp, unique or N-350 under 200 gdhp or unique under 180 jhp. Others certainly prefer heavier combinations, but get excellent accuracy in numerous 44 specials owned.

#176.

I realize it might just be semantics, but we should not strive to survive a gun fight. you can survive with a feeding tube and a colostomy bag (that's not good enough for me). we need to win.

finish the fight. I'm finding that double taps are proving to be a myth. no more shoot twice then re-access. shoot until the threat is down and you can get to cover in order to determine if the threat is no longer a threat.

Back