Ruger GP100 44 special

All of which goes back to my original post in this thread...

The New Vaquero is in no way lacking in 'strength' simply because it was designed to resemble the original Colt SAA 'size'...

Just because the New Vaquero is not recommended to use with Tier Three loads in no way suggests it is not 'strong', or that Ruger has issues with strength...

The .45 Colt loads that have become colloquially known as 'Ruger Only' loads, are perfectly safe (in addition to large frame Ruger revolvers) in Freedom Arms revolvers, T/C Contenders, and the lever action carbines chambered in .45 Colt...

I can't think of a load in .357 Magnum that the New Vaquero can't handle. For that matter a Colt SAA either. Both those guns and their clones are stronger than many da revolvers chambered in .357

The New Vaquero in 45 Colt is more than strong enough for loads that will take any game in the Continental U.S. except for some things in Alaska.

I agree with Salmoneye on that.

tipoc

The light weight Vaquero was designed and made for cowboy action and Ruger recommends that you don't use high pressure 357 loads even though it is a 357. It was designed for low pressure loads and it does not have the well documented Ruger strength.
Don't know where your info comes from but it's wrong. You'd be hard pressed to get enough slow burning powder in the 357 case to hurt a New Vaquero.

Ruger itself has never sanctioned anything but SAAMI spec loads in any cartridge chambering in any of it's guns...
^^^What he said.

There are 50kpsi 44 magnum loads only intended for Rugers and a handful of other guns but that's a topic for another thread.

You can bet that someone is going to ream out the chambers of the cylinder to except 44 mag and try it out. Probably a handloader who can build up to 44 mag strength. And then will shoot a bunch through it and if it holds up and can prove to Ruger that it works then Ruger very well may decide to go that route.

No doubt someone will try. I think you are right on their possible reasoning. But Bill Ruger used to follow Browning's dictum..."Build it strong enough for the job then double it." (Maybe not the exact quote but close enough for a quick post). I'm not sure that would be the case with this gun in 44 Magnum.

tipoc

The New Vaquero in .357 is a six shot revolver on a .45 Colt sized frame, barrel and cylinder.

It's basically as strong as an N-frame M27. I can't think of a stronger .357 made.

Ruger shoulda gone with the .41 Rem Mag, which is a real deal back country trail cartridge. But Ruger does need a few attempts before getting it right.

The .44 Special is an excellent self-defense cartridge, but who the hell carries wheel guns for self-defense? As good as a .44 Special is, I'd much rather have a Glock 22 loaded with 180 grain .40 S&W rounds and a spare mag.

Of what use would be a Redhawk chambered in .357 Mag?

Super Sneaky Steve said:
The New Vaquero in .357 is a six shot revolver on a .45 Colt sized frame, barrel and cylinder.

It's basically as strong as an N-frame M27. I can't think of a stronger .357 made.
And I simply pointed out that there was a Redhawk in .357 which would probably be stronger.

Not making any judgments on usefulness, although I suspect it would tame the recoil more than the GP...

The .44 Special is an excellent self-defense cartridge, but who the hell carries wheel guns for self-defense? As good as a .44 Special is, I'd much rather have a Glock 22 loaded with 180 grain .40 S&W rounds and a spare mag.

because in reality....if two or three shots does not resolve the issue....

and compared to the tiny pocket pistols so many carry....a revolver is inadequate??

Last edited:
The .44 Special is an excellent self-defense cartridge, but who the hell carries wheel guns for self-defense?

People who prefer wheelguns for some or all situations. There are a good many people who do.

tipoc

Sorry to disagree with you sir, but I carry a .357 magnum Kimber revolver as my EDC gun. I can hit with it very well, thank you. I carry one speedloader with 6 spare rounds. I am very well armed.

roashooter,

2 or 3 shots might resolve something providing one hits a bad guy with a .44 Special bullet. It gets a whole lot more dicey when you add another bad guy...or two to the confrontation. Bad guys rarely do bad things alone.

I have a GP 100. It's my fishing gun while wetting monofilament in black bear habitat. But it would not be my first bipedal self-defense choice. A Glock 22 is a whole lot easier to carry, holds more than twice as many rounds, and can be reloaded with more than twice as many rounds is far less than half the time it takes to reload a revolver.

Were I completely unable to avoid a bad guy who's intent on reducing my body to room temperature, I'd want to put as many rounds on him as possible while moving to a suitable barrier or running the hell outta there. The idea is to prevent a bad guy from hitting me, which could seriously screw up my trout fishing plans.

Pond,

You know cops and law enforcement firearms training officers who carry revolvers for self-defense? I know of none, and my guess I know far more than you.

Dude, revolvers went out in the 80's. I know some cops who still will carry a Model 60 occasionally, but the overwhelming majority carry semiautos for the infinite advantages they provide.

mk70ss,

You've gotta choose what's right for you. It's your life you're protecting. Always go with you think is best for saving your life.

A good thing to keep in mind is that if you have the extreme misfortune of running in to a bad guy, especially a banger, odds are he'll have at least one bad guy buddy close by, as in right behind you.

Another lifesaving factor to consider is that bad guys train. You might want to Google, "Layoff suspect."

SansSouci......

Don't put yourself in the situation to begin with. Black Friday mayhem, nightclub shootings....etc...No problem, my family and I are not there. It really is that simple.

sound familiar?

A Glock 22 is a whole lot easier to carry, holds more than twice as many rounds, and can be reloaded with more than twice as many rounds is far less than half the time it takes to reload a revolver.

sounds like the recipe for spraying and praying...

Last edited:
SansSouci,

Regarding your previous 3 posts, do you think that folks who do carry revolvers are unaware of your arguments? Most wheelgunners have taken into consideration the points you make. Some a number of years back.

Many people shoot revolvers better and have more confidence in them. You disagree with their choice. Point taken.

They have made their choice, one they have reasoned out. You may want to rethink pestering folks about it. It never looks good to lecture folks about things they have already thought through as if they were novices.

tipoc

You know cops and law enforcement firearms training officers who carry revolvers for self-defense? I know of none, and my guess I know far more than you.

Kraigw on here does... retired LEO, granted, but still.

Check out his posts if you're not sure whether he knows his stuff or not. I've certainly made up my mind on that point. Some time ago.

Let's put it this way. Would you feel overly comfortable confronting a person armed with a revolver? If they're so ineffective, surely it's in the bag for you....

A rhetorical question, lest this derails the thread.

I am a retired cop. 21 years on the job in Massachusetts. Ten year firearm instructor for our department. Trained officers in handgun, patrol rifle, shotgun, and pepperball guns. Midnight shift for 10 years, vice/narcotics for 5 years, then accident reconstruction. I have a safe full off semi autos and wheel guns, so my available carry choices are wide ranging in both type and caliber.

The .357 gets the nod from me and I am fairly confident after having dealt with the criminal element my whole life, that I can defend me and mine with a wheel gun.

Stay alert, be capable with your choice of weapon, and have sound tactics and the will to survive whatever comes your way. That is what makes you prevail, not the method of ammo feeding in your weapon.

Back