Ruger GP100 44 special

eab6474ea2187fe8fef56256f494c287.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

So usbp379
Your two low right shots always from the same cylinders?
I noticed you numbered the chambers is there a issue?

Dang. Thats a good looking gun right there. Been after a relover. And I quickly falling in love with 44special....uh oh...

I may have missed this in an earlier comment in this post, but for just for kicks and speculation, will the GP100 cylinder's length handle the length of a spec'ed .44mag chamber? I am curious as if this would be a someday-option for Ruger to come out with or would they need a whole new frame to accomplish this?

will the GP100 cylinder's length handle the length of a spec'ed .44mag chamber?

.357 Mag max OAL is 1.590". .44 Mag max OAL is only .02" longer, at 1.610". I can't imagine that tiny amount would be enough to cause any issues due only to cartridge length.

But don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen. Ruger's reputation is making revolvers that hold up for two lifetimes. .44 Mag out of a GP100, safely, might be possible, but I expect it'd be pushing things to the point that the guns wouldn't hold up nearly as well. I just don't see them doing it.

.357 Mag max OAL is 1.590". .44 Mag max OAL is only .02" longer, at 1.610". I can't imagine that tiny amount would be enough to cause any issues due only to cartridge length.

But don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen. Ruger's reputation is making revolvers that hold up for two lifetimes. .44 Mag out of a GP100, safely, might be possible, but I expect it'd be pushing things to the point that the guns wouldn't hold up nearly as well. I just don't see them doing it.

Mycin,
I would like to agree with you but since they produced the new light frame Vaquero I don't know if they are going to stick with building guns as strong as they used to. Companies change over time and I'm not sure of Ruger any more.

You can bet that someone is going to ream out the chambers of the cylinder to except 44 mag and try it out. Probably a handloader who can build up to 44 mag strength. And then will shoot a bunch through it and if it holds up and can prove to Ruger that it works then Ruger very well may decide to go that route.

Lipsey's Special

Talked to my buddy at Lipsey's yesterday and he told me that they're going to introduce a blued 5" wood grip model.

I would like to agree with you but since they produced the new light frame Vaquero I don't know if they are going to stick with building guns as strong as they used to. Companies change over time and I'm not sure of Ruger any more.

Not even sure what point you are trying to make...

Ruger came out with the new Vaquero, to more closely match the size of the original Colt SAA...

There is nothing whatsoever lacking in it's strength...

Salmoneye,
The light weight Vaquero was designed and made for cowboy action and Ruger recommends that you don't use high pressure 357 loads even though it is a 357. It was designed for low pressure loads and it does not have the well documented Ruger strength.

The New Vaquero is more than capable of handling any SAAMI spec .357 load made or hand-loaded...

I would love to see any Ruger documentation that says otherwise...

The original Vaquero was introduced in 1993 IIRC and was built on the New Model Blackhawk/Super Blackhawk frame but with fixed sights and contoured to resemble a Colt SAA. It was offered in .357, 44 Magnum, 44-40 and 45 Colt. They were a response to the rise of CAS. They are as strong as any Ruger Single action can be. They can handle "Ruger Only" loads.

Many loved these guns but many also complained that they were to large and heavy for CAS shooting. Ruger was losing out to Colt and it's clones.

The New Vaquero was introduced in 2005 and was based on the original Blackhawk frame closer in size to the Colt but smaller than the Vaquero. It's cylinder walls are thinned than the original Vaquero. It was chambered in 357 and 45 Colt. Not in 44 Magnum. It has been very popular.

The New Vaquero can handle any load of .357 Magnum. Ruger cautions against useing any "Ruger Only" loads in the New Vaquero including those for the 45 Colt.

You can read a bit more here...
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-NewVaquero.htm

tipoc

The only 'Ruger Only' loads that exist (anywhere) are in certain reloading manuals for .45 Colt loads...

There is no such thing as a 'Ruger Only' load in any other chambering...

Ruger itself has never sanctioned anything but SAAMI spec loads in any cartridge chambering in any of it's guns...

The term "Ruger only loads" is shorthand for loads of the 45 Colt that exceed the max pressures recognized by SAMMI. It means that these stronger loads should only be used in guns like Freedom Arms, Ruger Redhawk and Blackhawk, Thompson Center guns, etc.

The Ruger New Vaquero can take any load of 357. It is limited in 45 Colt to standard pressure loads. The same is true of the S&W 25-5, Colt SAA and it's clones, the Colt New Service and some others.

tipoc

That's a good article and one I refer to often.

Pearce is speaking of Colt loads adjusted to the same pressures as the 45 acp. A gun that can fire the 45 acp should be able to handle the same pressures as the 45 Colt loaded to 45 acp pressures. The New Vaquero can do this. But these are not "Ruger Only" loads.

The loads Brian refers to in table two (Tier Two?) he describes well and carefully here...

Loads in the 20,000 psi range
will prove useful for U.S. Fire
Arms revolvers that are 100 percent
American made (after the
year 2000), Colt New Service,
Ruger New Vaquero and Smith &
Wesson post-World War II N Frames,
including Models 25 and
625 Mountain Guns. Loads in
the 32,000 CUP range should be
limited to Ruger Blackhawk, Vaquero,
Colt Anaconda or other
modern revolvers designed to
stand up to this pressure level.
The Freedom Arms Model 83,
Ruger Redhawk and Super Redhawk
are capable of handling
much greater pressure than will
be presented here but are safe
with all loads listed.

He also has loads in Table 3 (the "Ruger Only" table) for which he advises not shooting in the New Vaquero. These Table 3 loads can be handled by the original Vaquero.

Pearce is careful in explaining the differences here. It's a good example he sets.

tipoc

Back