Ruger GP100 44 special

But, the Charter is plenty good enough to carry...they are reliable.

I've got 3 broke transfer bars that say otherwise.

You can load the Smith down, but you can't take the new Ruger up.

"Try me" :-)

I'm betting the next edition of Lyman's manual has "Ruger only" .44 Special loads.

Never been a fan of Hogue grips. Those nasty things will have to go.

Ditto. I've tried the squishy rubber Hogues on (I think) 4 different guns so far. Always moved on to something I liked better.

I'm assuming MSRP and street price will be about where the current GP100 is?

Denis,

I must disagree with you on the timing issue. In the Border Patrol we had thousands of 357 magnums that fired tens of thousands of rounds. K frame's, L frames and GP 100's. The GP 100 suffered problems 10:1 more often than the Smiths did. And this was when we were issuing and shooting 125 and 110 grain magnums.

I know some gunsmiths would see more of one or the other, but these were shot without prejudiced. I cannot remember any trouble with our speed sixes. I was an armorer in the BP.

My comments are based on numerous conversations with gunsmiths & custom shops over many years.
We shall continue to disagree.
Denis

Make it a .45 Colt then...

I've got 3 broke transfer bars that say otherwise.

lee n. field...DPris, also.

3 of my last 5 new Rugers...have failed and had to be returned. They locked up while being shot...internallly, not a barrel/cylinder gap issue. These problems have all been on new guns and in the last 3yrs.

So, following your deductive reasoning...the Ruger's are not reliable, either. At any rate, your attempt to invalidate the Charter for carry purposes carries no weight with me in light of the dismal reliability that I have recently had with Ruger revolvers.

But, knock yourself out.

BTW, I posted this same info on this thread on Nov 6...it is not made up just to counter your post.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6374905#post6374905

Last edited:
So, following your deductive reasoning...the Ruger's are not reliable, either. At any rate, your attempt to invalidate the Charter for carry purposes carries no weight with me in light of the dismal reliability that I have recently had with Ruger revolvers.

But, knock yourself out.

Uhh, OK.

"Ruger vs. Charter" was not my intent, nor commenting on Ruger's quality.

Shoot,
I'm not denying the Ruger QC issues of recent years, but I do stand by my assertion that a correctly-built Ruger will be the more durable gun.

I view them as I do other brands- basically raw material to be final-finished locally. That varies from the GP .357 currently at my gunsmith for a minor action job to the Kodiak .44 Mag he had to do more extensive internal cleanup on a couple months back.

I've rejected more new Smith revolvers in the past 10 years than I have new Rugers.
Denis

Well it's no leak anymore
http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1761.html
It is official. Now the pain, the suffering, the shear agony of having to wait for one.
Life sucks:mad:

GripsHogue® Monogrip®
Front SightFiber Optic
Barrel Length3"
MaterialStainless Steel
Capacity5
Rear SightAdjustable
Twist1:20" RH
FinishSatin Stainless
Overall Length8.50"
Weight36 oz.
Grooves6
CA ApprovedNo
MA Approved & CertifiedNo
Suggested Retail$829.00

I've been party to this discussion on a couple of other boards. Already called my LGS and placed a standing order. I've wanted a 3-inch GP100 in .44 spl for years. And I'll happily take one in 4 (or 5) inches, too.

Sorry, Jim. Guess they went fast. I got the email this morning.

roashooter, that link is to the adjustable sight model, which is bigger than the compact model. The latter have always been in demand. I have the smaller size on my 4-inch GP100 and really like it. And I have large hands.

Do They have speedloaders to fit something like this yet?
any one have a standard Ruger that can measure the cylinder. I can measurer a Bull dog and see how much difference there is in over all diameter but from the look of the gun there doses seem to be more metal between each chamber than a Bulldog.

Back