Ruger GP100 44 special

Here it is guys:

82dbf8bf8819dc51a2563ff7618f8c10.jpg

I bet you a dollar Jeff Quinn thinks it's "dandy"! :D

Denis, as I mentioned I already have the Smith 69, don't know what the Ruger adds to that equation worth the $700 it will sell for.

kind of a big gun for only a 5 shot 44 special.

No, it's not.

While somewhat larger than a Charter Arms Bulldog, this new GP100 will be able to take a lifetime of use and abuse... unlike the Bulldog. And when you get up in the hot Buffalo Bore ammo, forget about it. The Charter will knock itself loose or even explode from some stuff.

This Ruger is massively overbuilt with extra steel to handle those hot loads, it'll handle any and as much factory .44 special that you'll ever be able to shoot through it.

Well, .44 special isn't really intended to be a "hot" load... that's what the .44 magnum is for. I think a 3" .44 special is pretty much ideal... like my S&W 24-3 Lew Horton Special tack driver, but I do think it would be a good idea for Ruger to squeeze in another chamber if possible.

However it may not be possible... the GP100 is comparable to an L-frame S&W, whereas the Model 24 is an N-frame.

Nanuk,
For you the Ruger adds nothing & I'm not trying to talk you or anybody else into buying one.

I've explained about what the appeal would be in the new Ruger to me & others.
By all means, don't buy it. :)

Shoot,
The Charter may be good enough for you, but it's not for me.
Denis

OK

Yeah, like the looks of that, but it will have a hard time running against the 5 shot L frame .44 mag, the M69? You can load the Smith down, but you can't take the new Ruger up.

If it could stand it, I'd flute the cylinders on the Ruger if only a bit, to save some weight and to my eye, improve the looks. And I'd nix the fiber optic sight as too fragile.

But a quality 5 shot .44.....wow! I know S&W tried it, but here's another and I'd get one if I could swing it.

What is the empty weight of this new revolver???

it took me two years to pry a S&W 4" ss 624 in the box with all the paper work out of friends collection and it has been all i could have wanted in a carry .44 special, light enough to carry in a good holster and heavy enough to tame the recoil of my hunting and defence loads- 240 hard cast at 850-900 fps. the realy good news about the S&W 624 was the price,550.00. eastbank.

Finally a reason to get a GP100... I'll probably spring for one (or try). Not really a DA fan, and the ugly rubber baby bumper grips will have to go as there really isn't that much recoil shooting .44 Special... even hot ones... The .44 Special is a favorite round of mine and will do most everything that needs doing in my world. It would supplement the o' .44 Special Bulldog that I CC. If I need more umph, I can move up to Ruger .45 Colt revolvers for that. My .44 Mags have been been just gathering dust ever since Ruger introduced the flattops in .44 Special..

Been waiting for this one for a long time. To me this will be the ultimate packing pistol.

It was a big mistake selling the 4" Taurus 431 w/ adj sights. That was a good gun and I believe the Ruger will be "better". With modest loads the Taurus was a nice light packing gun but unable to handle category II loads for long. The Ruger will surely handle catII loads rendering it more versatile, but slighly heavier. The 5 shot capacity of the Taurus never bothered me and isn't even a blip on the radar when contemplating the GP100.

Never been a fan of Hogue grips. Those nasty things will have to go.

But, the only thing between me a a call to the LGS is a 4" version.

C'mon Mr. Ruger, you're so close!!!

for me they will have to get rid of those adjustable sights and the sticky rubber grips

blend in the front and remove the bulky rear,,,nice fixed sights work for me,,,and a nice set of smooth wood grips,,,,nothing to catch on when you draw,,,

yep thats the way i would want it for ccw,,,,dont think this will ever be a target gun,,,but could be a great carry gun,,,with a few changes,,,and i would for sure be interested

my .02
ocharry

The .44 special is a reloader's caliber. That is why they went with adjustable sights I'm sure. Different loads are going to hit differently.

And this new Ruger is for those who actually want to SHOOT the gun on a regular basis... something Charter Arms guns will not hold up to.

i am a44 special fan and own a good number of N frames, Charter bulldog's and and a Taurus 445. A Ruger in 44special is a gun I have hoped for, for a very long time. Jeff C would be smiling right now. I just hope this is true and not someone's sick joke.
Now just build one on a 2 inch no sights 101. Just copy the Taurus 445i will buy 2 each

I would NOT try to make this gun into a .44 Mag.
If you want a .44 Mag, buy a .44 Mag.

As for the sights, no matter how the gun's configured somebody's going to say "But, I wanted it different!" :)

When Ruger was first putting the project together & wasn't sure whether they were going to go with or without sights on the 3-incher, I told 'em sights would be great & if they did I'd buy one of the first off the line.

In this caliber, there are several commercial loads available to take better advantage of the round's potential over the old anemic RNL, and as pointed out there'll be people doing handloads for the gun.

Adjustable sights just make more sense.

As for the grips, it'll take any of several aftermarkets made for the GP family.
Denis

Back