Roll of quarters in a sock

In times gone by, (a long time) when I was a young Sailor and uniforms were worn practically all the time and all the time overseas, fights were much more common than today. Fights between ARMY/NAVY/MARINES/AIR FORCE/COAST GUARD in some combination were common, overseas we would get into it with Foreign services and nefarious civilians. Equalizers such as belts were commonly employed. In those times lethal weapons were very rarely used and were considered unsportsmanlike, after all most of the fights were in good fun. We Sailors had a trick for an equalizer since our uniform did not include a belt and was very short on pockets, we were at a bit of a disadvantage. Our black neckerchiefs were fine silk then, unlike the cheap synthetic of today, and very limber. We had to roll them from a square to get the long slender "Tube" that is tied into the double ended "Tie" That all navies of the world used to wear (In mourning for Lord Nelson, the greatest Sailor of all Time). At the center of the roll we would insert a roll of dimes or three ball bearings, as an "Equalizer" weight. This weight would end up at the back of our necks, under the flap collar, when the neckerchief was worn but when necessary, the neckerchief was removed and wrapped around your fist, such that the weight dangled from your fist in a very flexible, dangerous "Blackjack" manner. I, of course being a good doobie, never employed such an implement - I just heard about it, Hee Hee Hee.

IMHO, ditch the sock idea and adopt pepper spray. Less of a mess, and easier to explain to the cops in the aftermath.

If you really must carry an impact weapon approved by Hollywood, I'm a fan of a cue ball wrapped in a rag (courtesy of Steven Seagal in "Out for Justice").

if your in the house and in a bind a can o veggies in the sock is pretty good to.

I have had officers tell me that pepper spray sometimes doesnt work... i.e. in jail they had some guys that licked it off and kept coming.

Aww the days when I wore the sailors suit on the beach. One of the tricks of the trade was to take a large washer, sharpen it, and lace the neckerchief through the washer.

Could be slipped off and swung with pretty good effect. One could also use a roll of pennies rolled up in the neckerchief.

I presently have shoes purchased for me by the company I work for. Since they require us to wear steel toed shoes, they have a shoe company truck come to the plant. On the shelves are dress shoes, tennis shoes, work boots, all of which have steel toed shoes.

I can assure you a swift kick to the knee cap, shin bone with these shoes will shatter, destroy a gremlins day!

The sock can also be filled with sand...use a good heavy cotton sock!

Anyone remember the movie "Bad Boys" with Sean Penn? A sock with a couple unopened cans of soda pop is a deadly thing...

this works good. the inmates are happy with 3 or 4 d batteries in a sock. i almost got that in the face once and have seen an inmate beat with this in a riot

Anyone remember the movie "Bad Boys" with Sean Penn? A sock with a couple unopened cans of soda pop is a deadly thing...

It was a pillow case, and Sean Penn did make some cool movies before he went super hippie and started journalism trips to Iran.

A few people mention it already, home made blackjacks made with sock and quarter are illegal as regular ones. Would anyone carry change in a sock??? But for women you can get a change purse with a good sturdy strap. Almost the same thing, and a lot more legal.

I seen a 150lb teenage hoodlum hold off a 200+ pound body builder from beating his head in after making a rude comment, with a groin squeeze. IT will hurt like a son of a gun, and put you out of commision for a minute or two, so you can get away, but its not going to knock you out. There is also an urban legend that a HARD kick to the groin will make you pass out. I think that is possible, but I never seen it happen, and I have seen a lot of groin kicks and even been on the recieving end of a few. I would not rely on it.

IT will hurt like a son of a gun, and put you out of commision for a minute or two, so you can get away, but its not going to knock you out. There is also an urban legend that a HARD kick to the groin will make you pass out.
:D :D :D

This is the proper smiley for my response. Note that the smile is not a smile, but a grimace, and the color is appropriate :D . (Yeah, the last one's a grin)

Saps

Some years ago I kept a small 8" sap slung over the floor shift where it was handy.
My wife was stopped by a small town officer about 2AM on her way home from work. When he saw it and questioned it she told him I carried it on duty. He stated it was illegal and he should charge her or confiscate it.
She told him that was okay because it was only there as an alternative to shooting a BG if there was only one and he came through the window at her. She had no objection to shooting them instead. After checking her CC Permit he just growled and let her go.
Under the circumstances of the stop I think he was really only in making a contact for a little strange and decided to let it drop.

Used to keep a 18" piece of 750mcm copper cable under the seat when I was doing electrical work. Picked that up from a jobsite brawl where one dude got his arm broken with the first shot the next shot to the head knocked him out cold and required an ambulance.

I still keep a maglite with 4 D batteries in the truck. It's nice cause it also doubles as a flashlight when needed.

you could use a bar of soap in a sock or wraped up in a rag but if you want a legal more concilibal weapon go with the kershaw ken onion assistid open ing knives they can open almost as fast as a switchblade

P.S. i know i cant spell so dont make fun of me

Doug38.PR said:
...the quarters in the sock method.
Could this work? Or is it just hollywood?
A roll of quarters weighs precisely 8oz. That's half a pound. Physics isn't Hollywood. Could it work? Sure. Would anything hard and heavy, flung into someone's body at a high rate of speed work? Sure.

Would you run from this?
attachment.php

Attachments

• bagman_swingin[1].jpg
    bagman_swingin[1].jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 471
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I dunno. But I'd more likely die of laughter before your sock hit me. The Grocery Sack Killer! They should make a
Friday the 13thish movie about you! The Texas Sock Quarters Massacre. Bullets, Knives, Fire, Water, nothing can
stop the Sack Killer:cool:

Doug.38PR said:
I dunno. But I'd more likely die of laughter before your sock hit me. The Grocery Sack Killer! They should make a Friday the 13thish movie about you!
Doug - that's not me in the picture!
I found the pic here. :)

No offense but this is a rather 12 year old question. Said person is not licensed to carry a means of lethal force but wants to improvise one in a manner which if used will look very suspicious.

Tell said person to get an OC spray and avoid situations where you have to go hand to hand.

Said person is not licensed to carry a means of lethal force but wants to improvise one in a manner which if used will look very suspicious.

Everyone has a right to defend themselves. It's not a privilege the state can give or take away as government (fed, state and local) has started thinking of it as (which is one reason why, I think, CHLs are unConstitutional "...keep AND BARE arms") I would use whatever means I had at my disposal to defend my life, even if it mean't going to court and telling it to a jury.
There are a lot of people out there who in fact carry guns without CHLs and would rather risk the persecution of the DA than risk their lives to a carjacker or a mugger. Others who cannot afford it seek other, but less effective, methods such as inventing their own weapons: quarters in socks, big pocket knives, Pepper Spray (which I understand is also illegal but the state generally "lets" women carry it) Sword canes would be quite effective if they weren't also illegal to carry now and out of fashion as men don't carry canes anymore unless they are crippled. I chose to go ahead and get the CHL just to decrease the risk of my getting in trouble. Rather be facing trouble from BGs than BGs and DAs.

Doug - ...while you want to turn this thread into a soap box from which to shout your beliefs on the constitution and rebelling against the government... this thread is about taking a sock, placing a roll of quarters inside, and considering this a valid means of self-protection in a day and age where there are many other effective choices.

Do you not see how this is silly? Do you think this thread puts gun owners in a good light? Seriously, get him some OC spray and help him budget his finances in order to get his CHL.

Back