Revolver and Lever action in .357 wise choice?

May have been an issue during skirmishes with marauding Indians on the homestead in the 1880s, but not with a levergun today.
It's not that important.

Still nice to have the option.

What's the saying...

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Only disadvantage to the Henry is they don't feed .38 special very well.

I have the Big Boy Steel 16" carbine and primarily shoot .38 special, and have never once had any kind of feeding issue.

I've got a JM Marlin 1894S in .44 mag. I've been looking for a companion for it, and now have a well-used Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag on the way.

+1 Real Gun.
I also concur with the Ruger 77/357 + .357 handgun pairing. That's my combination and it is so convenient...and lethal.

yup

I've posted many times that such a combo is a very useful arrangement and I am a big fan of .357 lever carbines. I can't really add to what has already been stated by others other than....

If considering the revolver for SD, concealed carry, despite the apparent nostalgia of a single action and a lever carbine, I'd stay with a DA handgun, but I'd avoid the monstrous Redhawk. The DA revolver replaced the SA for LE and SD for very valid reasons that still apply today.

After about a decade of having my Marlin zeroed for one load, and my Blackhawk another, I recently rezeroed my SA revolver for the same heavy JHP load I am using in the carbine. Both of these guns are seeing occasional trips to the woods for deer presently, but never at the same time. But only having to keep one load on hand makes things much simpler.

So...can you still buy ammo online? How does that work, with a background check?

Yes, you can still buy online by having the order shipped to an FFL that will accept it and sell to you. If you go to target sports, they have a list of dealers that will accept by typing in your zip. Also, on Calguns, there is a thread of companies that will ship to FFL for you if they will accept. This list includes many of the boutique companies like BB, Underwood and Doubletap.

usr1987 said:
Is a Red Hawk and a lever action in .357 a wise choice?

"Wise" depends on your intended usage, but for any serious purpose, I've come to think the combo is overrated, since you may very well find yourself loading each with different ammo, in which case you might as well be carrying 2 weapons in different chamberings. As a funzie range combo, though, it's a pretty fun combination. I have a Marlin lever .357 for that very reason.

I've been looking at lever action rifles for a long time and if I get one, I'm definitely going with .357/.38 to match my Ruger .357 revolver, caliber wise. Just seems to make a lot of sense.
But if actually shooting 38 Special, make sure the rifle will cycle reliably.

I like the Red Hawk for the capacity
That is a lot of gun to carry, so wanting more than six shots should not be a priority. It suggests a semi-auto and self defense mindset in thinking of six as not enough. To further comment that a GP100 6" seems too light suggests that there is simply not enough experience firing that cartridge. One gets acclimated to a certain level of recoil and triggering requirement and develops a level of skill with it.

I would favor the Marlin .357 with a Ruger single-action .357 companion.
Definitely get a real gun belt and holster.
Sounds like fun to me!:D

Because it allows the shooter to quickly and safely top off the magazine without taking the rifle out of battery.
If 'safety' is a concern, tube fed LG's are FAR safer then having a gate.

If 'speed' is a concern, go buy a semi-auto and a bunch of magazines.

As Ive stated already they both have advantages and disadvantages, but are basically equal in terms of actual use. People have these 'Soldier of Fortune' fantasies about reloading under fire....pffft. The odds of such happening are infinitesimal at best and I would never even remotely consider that as a determining factor in choosing an LG, its frankly absurd.

For a typical shooter, tube fed mags are always easier to load, and often just as fast then a gate. Ive never seen anyone fumble loading a tube, but Ive seen highly experienced shooters with highly tuned guns fumble with a gate. Ive seen rounds get damaged and jammed in a gate as well as fair number of bloody fingers.

My favorite lever guns are the Marlin 1894's which do have a gate, but if Henry made true stainless LG's I would be just as happy with their tube fed models. In fact possibly happier as Rem-lins quality went down the crapper some time ago, although I am waiting for more reviews on their recent re-release of the 1894's.

Bottom line, pick which ever you like best overall, loading style should be the least concern.

"Wise" depends on your intended usage, but for any serious purpose, I've come to think the combo is overrated, since you may very well find yourself loading each with different ammo, in which case you might as well be carrying 2 weapons in different chamberings. As a funzie range combo, though, it's a pretty fun combination. I have a Marlin lever .357 for that very reason.
Why "different kinds of ammo"?
Pick which ever load you shoot the best out of the revolver, and use it in the carbine as well.
Quite simple really.

Further, considering where our nation is headed (due to lack of push-back from lazy gun owners) such a combo will likely be one of the only choices in the coming years.

It may take some experimenting to find a load that works equally well in both guns.
Just an FYI.
Denis

TBM900 said:
Why "different kinds of ammo"?
Pick which ever load you shoot the best out of the revolver, and use it in the carbine as well.
Quite simple really.

The rounds I shoot "best" out of my revolver would be target wadcutters or plated RN, both in .38spl. I don't see either of them working well in my Marlin, and/or having much utility outside the range.

Outside of the range, my use for my Marlin would generally be for deer & hog, in which case I'd use Buffalo Bore 180gr hard cast or Hornady LeverEvolution, neither of which would be my choice for my revolver, which I'd carry as a defensive sidearm. Conversely, .357mag ammo I put in my revolver would be for range use and/or SD, and neither wouldn't be my choice for deer & hog.

This isn't meant as a treatise on how everyone ought to load their revolver & lever rifle, but simply why I think the combo is overrated for serious purpose. YMMV.

If I recall correctly, Bob Milek wrote a piece years ago about looking for one load that worked in both his revolver and a levergun he had.

Took him several tries with various candidates before he found one.

More recently, when I was doing a reloading piece on the .44-40, I was working up loads that'd work in both a Ruger Blackhawk & a Uberti '66 I had.
It took quite a bit of experimentation.
One load would be tight in the Ruger & loose in the Uberti, another load just the opposite.

Eventually found a couple that produced acceptable compromise performance levels through both guns, but it took a while.
Don't expect the first couple loads you try to shoot tight in both guns.
If you luck out, you lucked out.
Denis

If you are looking to pair a revolver with a lever gun, why are you looking at the Redhawk? It is a small handrifle in its own right. My suggestion is to look at a smaller more easy to carry handgun in 357 to augment the rifle. The rifle is the full power gun in this situation, the revolver is to fight or move your way to your rifle.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 3-357s3.jpg
    3-357s3.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 370
Back