remington shotguns

How many 870s sold compared to their nearest competitor ? I think the 870 number is over 11 million. By gosh, by golly, they must be doing something right.

I think the issue some people are raising is the current quality of Remington products. In that context, what a company has done in the past is irrelevant.

ATN082268 said:
I think the issue some people are raising is the current quality of Remington products. In that context, what a company has done in the past is irrelevant.

Well, no, not really, since Drm70 said "The best 870 ever made is not near the gun of these three."

That is just categorically untrue, in my opinion... and I'm sure others would feel the same.

I can't say every 870 has no issues. There may have been a time when quality fell, but I think the current 870s are fine guns. To each their own. You don't like em, don't buy one. I personally wouldn't think twice and would buy one.

I have a youth Express 20 ga that is fine. I guess less than 10 years old. It is not pretty, but sure is reliable. It is my home defense shotgun with 00 Buck in it.

Last edited:
Jams. Some of the guys have problems with the new cheap shells with the base ripping when the gun tries to eject. But I think that's with the autos, not sure. Pumps - just about every problem with ejection is operated error - short stroking. We shoot a " pump gun Friday " at the club on SCs. A lot of guys bought pumps, usually 870s. About 50% have a problem some time or another with short stroking because they're trying to shoot too fast. Well used guns can have mechanical problems but we don't see it very often, and not with new guns. An 870 has two arms going back to the bolt, so there isn't a whole lot than can go wrong. The Wingmaster is a well designed, well made gun. Always has been. The same for the Express, just not as pretty.

Pumps - just about every problem with ejection is operated error - short stroking.
No
There is a hit/miss but SEVERE problem with chamber cut QC w/ the Express models that will hang up a steel-base shell to the point of requiring mortaring the butt on the ground to eject.
Nothing to do with short stroking at all.

REM-870-Express-Lug-Machine-Marks.jpg
REM-870-Express-Chamber-Recess-Before-After-small.jpg

See also string: https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6507127

Are you showing one gun that had some problems and got through ? I worked in the auto industry for 35 years as a electrician, and many times machines got out of specs and had to be adjusted. That meant some parts not in specs got put in a auto, or engine. That doesn't mean most were produced that way, but at times they were. I have trouble believing very many Remingtons were made like the one you showed. None of the guns the guys were short stroking had poor machining like you showed. It was suggested what the problem was, and they made corrections, and the problems went away.

This was two for two, BladeSmith.
I connected the dots . . . especially given significant/additional internet traffic having the same problem.
(remember, I'd done this before w/ another Express that I bought for I son-in-law)

Back