remington shotguns

The sad thing about it is I have a Stevens 320 that was built in China and it works perfectly with every type of shell that I have tried. My brother in law has a new 870 12 gauge and a Mossy 500 20 gauge that is about three years old. Both of those guns needed work to be reliable.
And my old beat up 1970’s Remington 1100 makes all three of those guns feel like cheap junk.

"A lot of the issues with extractions come from the fact that most shotgun ammo today comes with steel bases, not brass."

Interesting. Never considered that. A couple of years ago I was out with friends and the extractor on my 58 sheared off, leaving me high and dry. I wonder if that had any role in the extractor breaking...

Someone on a different forum posted about Remington extraction problems. He found
the rough machining marks on the barrel extension caused shells to hang up or not
letting the extractor do it's job.
After cleaning up those rough tooling marks his problems went away.

Which is where the Net advice about using 0000 steel wool and oil on a properly-sized wood dowel in a cordless drill come from.

So, after all this, if I were in the market for a TAC 14, and I am, should I go ahead and make the purchase, or run like hell?

Joe

So, after all this, if I were in the market for a TAC 14, and I am, should I go ahead and make the purchase, or run like hell?

Roll the dice. It seems like a lot of folks here are OK with the prospect of the end user having to finish the gun to make it sure operates correctly.

I haven’t had any Remington issues but I only own two and one is a 20 year old 870. If you like the TAC 14 get it, as for me I would opt for the Shockwave if I were in the market.

I am also considering the Mossberg Shockwave. I like the fact that the Mossberg holds 5+1 versus the TAC14's 4+1.

However, I also have noticed the TAC 14 has a magazine fed version that holds 6+1. Has anyone held, shot, bought one of these Magazine fed versions. How does it do?

Joe

I have two recent Remington purchases and both were fine. The last year or so they seem to have re-commited to putting out better quality. Think of the volume they produce; there are going to be some lemons. Same as cars.

On the Customer Service front, I’ve found that with any company, a phone call (not an email) and pleasant demeanor help a lot.

"Don't blame Remington", Of course you have to blame Remington, 5 minutes to polish a chamber wouldn't add .50 to the price of the 870. BLAME REMINGTON.

"Don't blame Remington", Of course you have to blame Remington, 5 minutes to polish a chamber wouldn't add .50 to the price of the 870. BLAME REMINGTON.

Of course it would; it requires extra handling; extra personnel; extra machinery, and extra shop space. In the meantime, they are trying to compete with Chinese 870 clones made by folks who $.50/hour

I recently purchased a 20 gauge 870 from Walmart. Camo all over, screw in chokes, takes 3" shells, and came with extra spacers to lengthen the buttstock.

I can't find a flaw in fit, finish or function.

My only gripe, I posted here right after purchasing it, is the comb is high for me. I could use a little more drop to get level on the rib. Bottom line, that's not a manufacturing defect.

Last edited:
....can't find a flaw in fit, finish or function.
The test is El Cheapo Winchester Whitebox/steel base ammunition*

Have you tried it yet?

*(Win WhiteBox, Win "USA" and Field & Stream "Game & Target" all appear to be made by the same Federal outfit in Akron)

Awww... do I have to shoot steel base? Low brass Walmart fodder is cheap enough and it works. Why bother with steel base?

Awww... do I have to shoot steel base? Low brass Walmart fodder is cheap enough and it works. Why bother with steel base?

NOT talking about the payload, but the hull head material. Unless you buy REM STS or WIN AAs, you are buying steel based ammo.........all of the cheap Federal crap, Winchester Universals or Super Speeds are all crappy steel based ammo - and some of the WORST crap you can buy.......

Yes, understood, the base not the pellets. If the Feds, however are steel base, they must be brass plated, which would be no real surprise.

Nevertheless, I guess my 870 passed the test with flying colors.

I've run several hundred rounds of the shells I purchased at Walmart, including the low base Federal mentioned, and so far, they've all run right through without a single hiccup. Maybe I better go buy a lotto ticket, seems my luck is red hot if new Remingtons are as bad as some suggest.

All my Remingtons are kinda old, so I can not comment on the newer production(1).

I can, however, testify that both my 870s and my 1100 run with the cheapest, nastiest low-price fodder I have been able to get my hands on. High-brass, low-brass, low-steel, even shells without any metal on the hull except the primer.

Yes, even my 1100 runs steel base and no-metal-base target shells just fine. What chokes it is purpose-built Herters low-recoil 12ga target fodder that gets a claimed 1050fps or so. Those are not built for semi-autos. I dearly love them for my 870s, though. My sone can shoot his 12ga 870 al day with no fatigue from recoil.

(1) Hard to pass up an old 870 Police or Wingmaster with a fixed choke & no rib bbl for fewer $$$ than a new Express. Once I learned that I really don't need interchangeable chokes for my kind of hunting, all those cheap fixed-choke guns became more interesting to me.

Back