!!!! Remington 700 bdl !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats a nice looking gun for sure.

on the A-bolt, i've never been too crazy about the big bolt handle on the Brownings, but i guess its not that bad. I assume they are accurate because i havent heard otherwise.

i have a 30-06 a-bolt and i really like the gun. the big bolt handle does help make 4 a speey follow through or in my case 2nd n 3rd hog shoot. i shot .4 inch groups at a 100 yards and i have yet to load any match king or berger bullets. the only thing i dont like is that i got a sythetic stock because i got a heck of a deal on that gun. with a 20 power scope the gun is not very balacned but the wood stocks would fix that.

What are they thinking... Remington has discontinued the 700 BDL and the regular 700 CDL. All they are making are composite stock guns with stainless of matte barrels... what if a man wants a gun that has an elegant look???

I feel your pain! I just so happened to post this pic of my vintage 1977 Remington 700 BDL in TFL's January photo contest: Entry #17

Jan2010DSCN1310.jpg

Last edited:
Us buying foreign products is some of our problems But the most reason companies are leaving the usa is because of all of ours worst enemy
Washington D C with the Taxes they have to pay is what the real problem is.
For what ever the reason Remington has been going down hill in quality for 30 years. they have made a lot of stupid mistakes and are still doing so.
Do all of you know that remington barrels are hammer forged not cut rifling like all other barrel makers use. just another cheap very low quality product
of their good ideas. Plus their customer service is no good either.
Out of my 32 rifles 4 of them are Remingtons and 3 of them have factory quality issues and remington will not fix them because I was not the one that bought them new.
WHY DOES IT MATTER WHO BOUGHT THEM IF THEY ARE THEIR QUALITYS FAULT???

If the barrels are made in such a horrible cheap way... how come a LARGE majority of the 700 rifles have very good accuracy right out of the box. I guy that i know sighted guns in for years and hardly runs into an inaccurate 700

I also love the deep blue steel/fancy beautiful wood look of the BDL's. I own two BDL's one in 30.06 and one in 243.

The problem I have is that I am a very hard hunter. As such, my attention is seemingly diverted while hunting if I am carrying such a rifle/shotgun. I find myself most comfortable with the stainless/composite firearm in the field.

I have a ruger stainless with the composite zytel stock circa 1990ish that I bought used in 7mm rem mag. I am somewhat hesitant of taking the safety off because it has NEVER failed to kill when that happens. I am going through the same dilemma now with my 243 bdl dm. Too pretty to mess up. Thinking of a stainless/composite. So what do I have the pretty guns for? I don't know, just can't bring myself to sell them.

I think you'll find the vast majority of barrels made today are hammer forged. Cut rifleing is pretty unusual except on some custom aftermarket barrels. Unless I'm mistaken Savage is the only company making cut rifleing from the factory. Hammer forged barrels work just fine.

The rifle I got for my son's first rifle is a 1964 vintage 30-06 BDL that is in very good condition the bluing is not quite as bright as new but the stock looks great. It has the best trigger of any rifle I have ever shot and it still shoots better than I can hold it. That rifle is everything a rifle should be and is a credit to the company that made it. I would hate to see such a classsic get scraped.

i know, but really i like tactical bull barrels like #7 contours myself. the only bdl i want to own, and do not yet, is the .30-06 custom deluxe. but they are out there on gunbroker.com, gun shows and collectorsfirearms.com so i have no worries that i will be able to get a brand new one in the box.

I saw 3 of each model (BDL, CDL)

on the gun rack at the local Gander Mountain 2 days ago.

For those who don't want to risk scratching the beautiful walnut stocks of their "pretty guns", try outfitting them with the neoprene buttstock, forearm, and barrel covers made by Bear Tooth. They come in camo, and plain brown versions. Scope covers are available, also.

The end result is not only the avoidance of scratches, but a much needed concealment of glossy finished stocks/barrels/scopes. Every time I poke my rifle barrel out the window of an elevated box blind, I realize how much better it is that it looks like a tree limb, instead of a highly polished, deeply blued barrel. I think the deer recognize the difference.

The neoprene makes a pretty good "rain coat", for your rifle and scope, too.

Cabela's carries Bear Tooth, as well as some of the other national chains. But not Wally World.

Last edited:
One advantage of old age is that stuff like this is nothing new. I've seen it in folk music and the world of cars, and previously in the world of guns.

There is no one cause to any of it. Sometimes it's mostly the "bean counters" who cause business changes to cut costs and do so in mistaken ways. Sometimes it's the added overhead for an already-inefficient operation. And sometimes it's a case of customers not really knowing what they want.

For instance, for whatever reason, ever since the Clinton AW ban, there has been a fantastic increase in interest in "EBR" rifles. Okay, if sales of blue steel and wood drop, hey, let's put black stocks on 'em! If an old standby's sales drop off, hey, let's bring out a Newer'n'Better!

And so it goes.

Folks raised a ruckus in 1964 about the Winchester changes in the Model 70. No doubt about a lesser quality of fit and finish and all that. But the 1964 and later Model 70s were quite often capable of tighter groups than the far more desirable Pre-'64s.

So if you have a good 700, you probably oughta hang on to it. If you've been thinking about something new, odds are you'll still buy accuracy but maybe not good fit'n'finish.

Like always, you pays your money and you takes your chances. That ain't changed in the last several hundred years...

Interesting thread. :rolleyes: I haven't looked at remington lately as the last two I bought were from the Classic series, a 30-06 and a .35 Whelen. My BDL 30-06 as made in 1981, the year I bought it. I've been happy with them. The BDL was restocked with an early H&S Precision synthetic stock when that outfit was located in Prescott AZ. It's worked out quite well.
When Winchester came out with their Stainless Classics, I bought one in .338 Win. Mag. for more money than I should have spent. I have several Winchester rilfes with factory synthetic stocks besides the .338, a .300 Win. mag. especially made for Walmart that I picked up at a gun show on the cheap and a M70 XTR .270 that has a synthetic stock shaped like the M70 Featherweight, a style i like very much. Both stocks I believe were made for Winchester by McMillan. That Featherweight style can be found on their website. Now we come to that overpriced POS Stainless Classic. does it have a McMillan synthetic stock. Oh no, one of the most expensive guns in the "Big W" line up at the time I bought it has a POS piece of Tupperware junk. :mad: The recoil pad, if you want to call it that makes the rock of Gibralter look like a soft sponge. :barf: Best that gun will do it 4" at 100 yards and that's on a good day. :( I'd take that POS rifle to a gun show and trade it off if my conscience would let me live with screwing some poor guy on the deal. No wonder winchester (USRAC) folded. And yes, I ought it brand new.
I guess my point is it's not only Remington that's done people wrong. At least Winchester paid the price. Dunno how their reincarnation is gonna turn out. One and only wait and see. Maybe if they bring the Featherweight out in
7x57. :cool: I have one in the push feed version and no way will I sell that one off.
Paul B.

BDL

I just purchased a Remington 35 Whelen BDL. The gun is 23 years old in mint condition. Hasn't fired more then 20 rounds. I gladly paid $750.00 for it. Some might think that's a lot for an older gun but in my opinion the quality is much better in those guns then the new ones that you could spend 2x as much for. It took me 2 years to find what I was looking for but it was worth it. I'm still a true Remington fan. Just not a fan of the new ones as much.

Hello West... Very old thread, but nice find at an exceptional price for that particular gun. Welcome by the way. Can you post some pic of your Whelen Rem? Is it scoped?
-SS-

BDL

Hello Sweet. I will take pictures tonight and post them. It is a beauty. It was made in October of 89. First year of production. it has mounts but no scope yet. I have a vortex scope I might put on it. I may break down and buy a Leup. I will be taking it moose hunting this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back