!!!! Remington 700 bdl !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 700 ADL that i bought in 94.. it seems to me remington has gone downhill the past few years.. my 270 shoots really good though, im glad i got it when i did. hopefully they will get back on track..

Actually it looks as though they were just following the trends. It seems to be the rage now to have composite stocks, matte finish, etc. Seems all that is wanted nowadays is tacticool and black. As for my self, well, I prefer that my rifle look like a piece of artwork. You know, nice fancy grained select wood, highly polished metal with deep blue and maybe a scroll or two added. But, thats me, old school.

sc926porche

not joking but how old are you?
Seems like the people who like wood and blue are older and have rifles.
No company can make a profit off last years customers.
If younger shooters want AR type rifles that is the market.
If they want syn/stainless rifles that is the market.
I like wood but I have two bolt guns and am not likely to get a third.

My 7mag BDL is a mid 80's model. It's nice. Don't see them like that anymore.:( Picked up a BDL awhile back and it just couldn't compare to mine with looks and feel.

I have always prefered the blued walnut rifles. My favorite Reminton is a 700 Classic in .30-06. I wish they replaced the BDL stock with it.

The most damning comment I can make about Remington rifles these days is this: Ruger bolt rifles are now much nicer!! Sheesh, how crazy is that?

Remington can either compete or just give up but in either case they need to get on with it.

Oly

I recently noticed that too. They did have laminated but no walnut.

One of the most beautiful blued/wood combos' i have ever seen is some of the Weatherby Mark V but are pricey.

sc926porche

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see your point. Markets and trends change. What makes some of us sick is when they change and not for the better. I'm only in my early 30's but I'm old enough to remember when guns were generally made much better than today. The BDL in question is a sad comparison of what it was 20 years ago.

I noticed a few years ago the wood stock ADL was discontinued but didnt think the signature BDL would follow. I am glad i bought a BDL in 2003 because its a gun with back ground in my family. I am not up to date with any Remington quality issues. With handloads, mine chambered in 30-06 yeilds a .3" group after a called flyer. I dont have a problem with the new generation style but do wish they still offered atleast one model with the traditional wood stock. I went out to buy an ADL in 22-250 but bought the synthetic since it was after the wood was not available and its fine, just not as attractive imo.

I wouldnt be suprised if they offer some type of "classic" that looked like a BDL in the future. It would be a commonly used marketing tactic to boost sales. Anyway, as long as they dont drop or redesign the Model 870/Wingmaster, Remington will have atleast one gun (in the category of pump-action shotgun) that will never be surpassed by any gun maker in existance (also imo).

Last edited:
Nice Wood stocked rifles...

I have two, a 1980's Model 70 Lightweight in .308...nice dark wood.

A Voere '98 Mauser in 7x57, nice wood...the rest are synthetic.

Synthetic seems to be the way of the world for most manufacturers these days. Easier to mold, put rails in and make a stable platform that shoots at least some better that the mass-produced and sometimes crooked wood.

We used to have craftsmen/women producing our better rifles in the big 3, I don't know if they let them all go or what. I saw a Rem 700 CDL one time I would have given an arm and a leg for...in fact, I did. But that's another story.

Now it is slap'em together and ship'em out.
doug

It's not just Remington. Nobody makes things like they used to, with pride and good QC.

I laugh and cry every time one of these threads appears. Laugh at the ridiculous claims and cry because some of the claims are true for every manufacturer.

If people were buying them they would still be making them. The American shooter has been voting with their dollars. Too many of us would rather have a $300 rifle with a plastic stock than a nicely finished walnut stock.

EXACTLY.............If they were selling in quantities to justify their existence, they would still make them. My BDL is 30 years old, bought it new - put a fiberglass stock on it a long time ago (still have the original though), becaue it could handle the hard hunting in northern NV mountains - seems more folks like the practicality.

You could always have a stockmaker make you a nice wood stock to your dimensions

Quote:
sc926porche

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am 19 years old and have a passion for rifles that are good looking and shoot. the 700 BDL is that rifle. I own two a 30-06 and a 7mm Rem mag that has a stainless barrel on top of a dark walnut stock... now those guns get my heart going

I was once a huge Remington Fan boy but now you couldn't pay me to buy one of their rifles. The QA QC has been gone since they got taken over my Cherybus (OR what ever it is). Now they are putting out cheap junk that people will buy because it says REMINGTON on the side.

I own a few rifles and all but 2 of them say REMINGTON. Not anymore if I buy another bolt gun (Currently geting a RRA AR) it will not be from crapington. Savage maybe.

I have been a Remington shooter for 50 years and was a dealer for 20; I still own some of their Classics. I cannot take anything away from the way the rifles or shotguns that I own either, they shoot fine, some better than others. I have taken lots of game and shot plenty of targets with their ammo, rifles and the shotguns.

When they moved away from the wholesalers and their dealers and started the selling to the mass market was the beginning of the end for them. For awhile they tried to keep a foot in both boats with programs for Jobbers, Wholesalers, independent stores, and finally, the big box stores. I have watched Remington cater to the discounters and transition from walnut to more and more of the Dupont influence of the black plastic faux walnut fore ends on the BDL rifles and the simulated “Rosewood” cap of the 541-S .22 rifle etc. Plastic fore end caps are not a functional issue of course, they work quite well actually but in my opinion the practice of simulating wood always was and is a sleight of hand and is cheapening to what otherwise were very good honest products. Some of my favorite hunting guns that Remington made are Classic 700 series and the 788 in 7-mm 08, I realize the stocks on the 788 are Beech and the rifle is not a 700 but you knew that going in when you bought one but on the other hand anyone who ever had one will tell you that they really shoot exceptionally well.

My favorite rifles they built are the Classic series. The mass merchandizing, the dropping of classic quality and traditional appearance is a just simply a sign of the times, what they are doing is what it takes to function in what they have defined as their market.

Just a comment....I see they dropped the 700 Ti also. I have one of the originals that came only in ADL in 7-08. Looks like I should put it away in a box.

I just checked their website...and the CDL, BDL were both still listed. Am I missing someting? Could it be that they were off the site while updating new MSRP's for 2010?

When Remington brought out the CDL they intended to drop the BDL. A huge improvement in my opinion. I never cared for the BDL's shape or the high gloss. I have not seen a new BDL for sale in years although they show limited options for them in the catalog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back