!!!! Remington 700 bdl !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im glad i finely picked-up one of these fine rifles last weekend:D,but what are you thinking remington?wood>synthetic

Wow, not me. CDL is nice, a friend has one but imo, the BDL was much more refined looking. CDL looks like a cheap version of the BDL but nicer than the ADL.

I think somthing is going on with the web site because when i looked last night, there was a couple wood/blued CDLs' that were not on there when i looked after this thread was started. They must be re doing it (or read this thread, lol)

Has anyone bothered to check the new Remington web site?

The 700 BDL and 700 CDL are both listed.

They also brought back the 1100 G3 that was showing as "not availble" in 2009. That concerned me because I had just bought a new 1100 G3 in late 2008.

Personally I love the looks of a deep blued gun with a nice walnut stock on it, I think they look much better than the flat black synthetic stocked guns, and if I had the money to buy guns just to look at then I would. I don't have enough money to do that so I buy guns to use and for that I like flat black and synthetic stocks.

I went last thursday to find a .308 and I came home with a 700 SPS Varmint because it had a long heavey barrel and the absolute cheapest stock. The only thing I find bad about the whole gun is the stock and since my B&C A2 medalist will be here tomarrow that doesn't matter a bit as the original stock will have seen 0 use and will be in the garbage can.

My point in all of this is that if the majority of buyers are like me then all they are really looking for is a barreled action with which they can sit in whatever stock they want. So if that's what people want I'm glad Remington has us covered by giving us a nice gun with the ablsolute cheapest stock they could find.

I went through this with the ruination of the 94 Winchester.

When the gumakers choose poorly, reward them by buying used.

Its on their web site at $927

As for the comments on quality, two of the gun dealers I spoke with this past year told me that quality has gone down among some makers. They claimed it was due to the very high demand for guns following Obama's election. The manufacturers were churning them out very quickly. This is just the opinion of two dealers though. But they do see a lot of firearms pass through their hands.

The CDL is a cross between the classic looks from the 20's and 30's with a straighter comb for better use with a scope. They trimmer and lighter with everything a shooter needs without any extras.

The BDL was Remingtons answer to the Weatherbys introduced in the 1950's. The design works, much like the Weatherby, but is just too flashy and gawdy for me. Kinda like the huge 50's era cars with tail fins and lots of flashy chrome.

Both are classic designs, it just depends on which era you prefer.

I love walnut and blued steel, too, but nobody wants to pay for them anymore. If everybody thought the 700BDLs were so great, why have sales been declining for the last 10 years? If Cerebus Corp says they are not making any money running huge plants turning out blued steel and walnut rifles, I believe them. In 1979, we were selling 700BDLs for $700, in 1990 they were $800, in 2000 they were $750 and not selling because folks want a $300 rifle. During that same 30 years, buying power of the US$ declined by about 60%, and all the KMart and WalMart shoppers sent all our manufacturing jobs overseas so they could save a few pennies to buy a new TV/VCR because their jobs were disappearing. You think those things are maybe related in some way? If people don't understand economics and act contrary to the laws of economics, they shouldn't complain when it bites them in the behind.

Thats MSRP. I bought mine in 03 i think and paid $550. Nobody sells them at retail. BTW, i hunt with my BDL even though its not one of the cheap looking models.

We have an old 78, which was the plain-jane version of the 700 in a dark-stained birch stock with no checkering and a matte finish. I scrounged it in a 3-way trade years ago; might have $150 in it. It is in all respects an excellent 30-06.

Well right now Buds has them for $728 which is more money than a lot of people want to pay. When you guys says the quality has dropped off recently what exactly do you mean, are you speaking of the stock and the finish on the metal or are you speaking of lower quality machining of the barrel and reciever?

Rem Quality Issues

I was looking at a couple of Rem 700s, a cheapie ADL in a synthetic stock and it had bluing salts bleeding out around the barrel/action joint, and the finish on the metal was bead blast. At another store I looked at a CDL, pretty rifle, and it had rust/bluing salts leaking out all over it. That shop will never sell that gun. Rem has tended to have problems along with that and it appears to be back.
I watched the bolt close easily on a no-go gauge until it was backed up with .012 of shims in a Rem 30-06 I bought. Called Rem about this and was told that while that was at max it passed their requirements for headspacing in a rifle. Haven't been a Rem fan since.

Maybe next time i want a bolt gun (which wont be any time in the near furture, as i have what i need at the moment), i may look at Browning's A-Bolt or X-Bolt. Haven't heard anyone comment on them but i have not heard anything bad about them, although they tend to be even more expensive than the 700s'.

Home » Products » Firearms » Centerfire Rifles » Bolt Action Model 700™ Model 700™ BDL™Model 700™CDL™Model 700™ CDL™ SF™Model 700™ CDL

That was just cut-n-pasted from the Remington Web site. They still offer them... and that was just a few in the long list.

Maybe next time i want a bolt gun (which wont be any time in the near furture, as i have what i need at the moment), i may look at Browning's A-Bolt or X-Bolt. Haven't heard anyone comment on them but i have not heard anything bad about them, although they tend to be even more expensive than the 700s'.

Same here.

I am finally at a point in my life where I can afford a good rifle and the new 700 I lusted after when I was a kid is no more.

I've never really been interested in Browning, but if I am paying for quality, I expect to get it. ;)

Well I'm glad I picked up my 700 CDL 35 Whelen a couple of years ago when it was still available, I was thinking ahead.

Beautiful rifle, excellent caliber. Light weight and well balanced.

Another fan of the Colonel. 1988 Classic. My favorite, non vermin platform, fireball machine......period. It hits like the fist of an angry god.

DSC01100Medium.jpg

I guess I have been out of the loop a bit on Rem 700's. The CDL looks like the old Remington Mountain Rifle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back