Remember when you first started carrying?

I am fairly new at it, I got my CHL last fall. Ordered a pocket holster for a lightweight 38 Special 5 shot revolver I have. Holster came with a speed strip and has a compartment that accommodates it very well. It is the only thing I keep in my right side pocket. Not having anything else in that pocket took a little getting used to.

Made a trip to Walmart (original thinker here:rolleyes:) for my first time and was self conscious but I didn't panic and nothing happened. Within a few weeks most of the self conscious thoughts went away but few are still there. I feel I have always been aware of my surroundings, has carrying increased that awareness? Maybe so but don't know for sure.

I started carrying 12 years ago this July, when I got my Texas CHL. I bought a Kahr PM9 and I still carry it often, although it has been replaced somewhat by a Sig p238 Scorpion, an amazing little gun. I don't recall ever being uneasy about carrying a gun; I'd been ready for months after taking professional training and lots of range time. It did take a while for me to stop checking to make sure it was still there, which I'm betting is pretty common.

We moved to Texas from Calif. when I retired. After years of futile attempts to convince the authorities in the three Bay area counties I lived in that I was a good guy and deserved a carry permit, I gave up. We couldn't wait to leave and wouldn't go back for a free beach house in Malibu.

When I started carrying it was a Colt SAA in .357 Magnum, the only handgun I owned at the time. Not the easiest thing to conceal, but doable with a little thought.

The occasion was a 3 day bus ride across the western US. The bus companies had just started the charming practice of dumping the passengers off and locking the terminals, leaving them sitting on the street in the middle of the night waiting for their connecting bus.

Since the bus stations weren't always in the best part of town, carrying a little something along seemed to be the better choice.

It balanced out the weight of my keys in my left pocket. Took a while to get used to my LC9, then my present favorite, the LC9S.

I've been carrying for about a year. Tried out different holsters well before then. The 1st several weeks were a little awkward. Now I can carry without any worries. My wife doesn't even know I'm carrying until I take my shirt off or un-holster at home. If I can be out with my wife and she doesn't notice, I'm doing something right.

Been carrying since 1968. First was a Colt Combat commander 45 ACP Changed to a S&W 13" HB 357, Now for the last 15 years a S&W Mod 36 J frame Chief 38 Spl. Talk about downsizing, It's a tool I have with me always.

I was slightly nervous about being called out for a very short time. The longer term effect is a little more subtle. Think about it like wearing clothes.
If you had never worn clothes, you would feel more vulnerable about some things than others. Being naked means nothing to you.
Once you wear clothes, you feel more secure when wearing them and feel naked and extra vulnerable when you're not.

Ive been carrying for several years now. I was nervous at the beginning and it took me while to feel comfortable enough to carry with a round chambered.

The idea of carrying with a round in the chamber went against much of the hunter safety training of my youth, so after getting my first carry pistol, I researched carry options -- condition 1, 2, or 3 -- while waiting for my first holster to arrive.

I dismissed condition 3 because I at the time my left shoulder was frozen and racking the slide was a painful and by no means fast process. I also, while having lunch in a local park, engaged a local LEO who pulled into the park for a break on the topic. He said he saw little point in carrying a handgun without a round chambered, and that conversation cemented my decision to abandon serious thought of condition 3 carry.

As I debated between condition 1 and 2 I carefully examined my gun's safeties until I had a good feeling how they worked. I concluded condition 1 carry was optimal, but was concerned that my thumb safety could be inadvertently disengaged without my knowledge while being carried. To see whether this might happen, upon my holster arriving, I carried condition 1 without any ammo in the pistol. I felt like an idiot. It was my first time carrying concealed, so I had all the first-timer anxiety about being made as an armed person in addition to being dumb enough to be carrying an empty gun. If made and confronted, I could have remained cool and claimed I had expended all my ammo in a harrowing, but successful, self-defense encounter up the road, but only someone more foolish than me would have bought such a story given the fact that the gun had not been fired since its last cleaning.

Anyway, my test carry resulted in the thumb safety remaining engaged. Further examination of my gun's and holster's safety features convinced me that condition 1 carry was very safe, because, even if the thumb safety did become disengaged, the trigger has to be pulled for the gun to fire, and the holster fully protects the trigger from being moved.

I encountered heightened first-timer anxiety by carrying an empty gun. I think the absurdity of that experience helped me put such anxiety behind me more quickly. And, it had the benefit of being a relatively safe way to carry concealed for the first time.

When I started carrying my options were a 4" N frame S&W or a 1911 since that was all I had, and I planned on getting something smaller when I had the money. Now, every time I get a smaller gun so it will be easier to conceal I end up selling it because I'm so used to carrying a full size gun.

And I swear I'm the opposite of everyone else, but since I was young I had a gun won't go off until you pull the trigger drilled into my head, so I carried my 1911 with the safety off and the grip safety taped down for a couple years.

Going on my 6th year now. Where, when and what I carry varies depending on the locale and what the rules are. Generally when I do carry there's one in the well ready to go.

Once I was at a public outdoor event with my loaded lcp in my front pocket in a southern city known for it's high crime rate. Suddenly there was a flurry in the crowd and some really big guys with curly wires going to their ears appeared around me. Next thing I knew there was a former President of the United States and his wife standing next to me. The big guys were looking at me intently while listening to their earpieces--intuition told me to keep my arms and hands as free and clear of my body as I could. Thought I was going to have to change my shorts.

since I was young I had a gun won't go off until you pull the trigger drilled into my head, so I carried my 1911 with the safety off and the grip safety taped down for a couple years.

Depending on when those two years were, you might be the man who invented Glock carry.

About 13 years ago now. I was carrying for the first day around the house, and the wife sent me to Meijer for some groceries. Yes, it felt weird, though nobody gave me a second look. It's now natural, and if I leave home without my primary, for whatever reason, not only do I have my BUG on me, but I usually turn around to get it, depending on how far I've gone. Normally, it's on me, right off the nightstand, but there are times, i.e. crawling under a vehicle, working in the yard, etc. where only the BUG resides, but I'm still always armed.

The very first time I carried I got pulled over for a tail-light being out or expired inspection -- something sill like that. I told the officer I had a permit and I was carrying my weapon. He asked me where it was. I told him right front pocket. He told me just to keep my hands on the wheel at all times.

Very strange luck that I would get pulled over the very first time I carried. All I was doing was going to the Sonic to get chili dogs for my wife and I.

I was so nervous the first time I was stopped by the police after I started carrying, my hands and voice were shaking a bit. Thank God the officer was so casual about it. "Officer, I have a CPL and I am carrying." "That's great sir, where abouts on your person is it?" "Right hip." "Very good, keep it there." It was my birthday, so after a rather intense grilling about whether or not I had drank any alcohol that day he told me to have a nice day and watch my speed, lol.

Back