Remember when you first started carrying?

At first it felt different. I am used to open carry while in the woods, but out and around town just felt odd. After about a day I never thought of it again.

Back in 1978 I started carrying before Texas had a CCW
I have had a CCW since Texas has offered them.
I had been mugged twice in less than a year and had the door of my apartment kicked open and robbed while I was at hone.
Needless to say I was done being a victim.
Started out with a Rossi 44 spl snub nose
Back then there were few CCW options unlike today.
I was always paranoid back then but once I obtained my CCW I never gave it a second thought.
I had learned that people are to caught up in their own little worlds to notice a slight bulge under a shirt.
I have even had the butt exposed by accident and had a lady tap me on the shoulder while she pulled my shirt back down over the butt of the gun. She just smiled and said her husband has the same problem.
I feel naked if I leave the house without a pistol of some kind.

Yes, I do remember. We were all paranoid. It was open carry of fully automatic weapons with no permit required.

Yes I do. I started with an S&W model 28 4" in a homemade shoulder holster back in 1974. Switched from that pretty quickly to a J-frame , then to a 1911 and what an amazing hodge-podge since then. tom. :cool:

I started CC several years ago.
Started with empty chamber, then empty chamber when SAO and loaded chamber when DAO or DA/SA in a OWB holster.
Now, I do not CC as often as I used to and when I do, it is concealed well in an IWB holster.
I am still uncomfortable with Cocked&Locked 1911.

I'm sure it was sometime after I graduated from the police academy in early '74. I can't recall now what I carried. May have been a S&W Model 39 or FN/Browning Hi Power initially. This is the first time I've even thought about what I carried back then. I'm kinda surprised, and embarrased, that I can't remember because I was a "gun guy" even back then....

I have had my license since last September; and honestly it is just a non-issue for me. I never felt conspicuous and I have always been careful to ensure my gun is well hidden. Usually my wife doesn't even know specifically that I am carrying.

That said I do not carry all the time; so it is much easier when I do to simply dress around it. I have a couple plaid shirts that when untucked easily conceal my Glock 19 in an OWB; and in an IWB I can pretty much where any shirt that extends below my waistline or a hoodie and it disappears.

I've carried guns enough in the woods and on the range it feels pretty natural to me; even in a grocery store.

I grew up in a state that didn't allow legal concealed carry. I admit to breaking that law (statute of limitations is long passed by now) on a few occasions when the situation warranted it but generally speaking I did not routinely carry a defensive firearm due to the law prohibiting it.

When I was 41 I moved to a state with a liberal carry policy. I recall going to a gun show a few months after arriving and seeing a table set up to provide the classroom requirement for the permit. No range shooting was needed.

I was shocked. I had no idea this was even possible. I was just perusing the show, not looking to get a carry permit. But they they were. So I joined the class. Took about 4 hours and they took my photo and fingerprints and 3 weeks later my permit arrived in the mail.

I recall the first time I slipped a gun under my coat and went out in public. I felt very strange after all those years of not being allowed to do so.

Now I carry about 80% of the time. Illegal to carry at work but there is a bill in the state legislature right now to change that. The governor says he will sign it. Maybe I'll get to 100% soon. With more and more threats of terror attacks I think it's every citizen's duty to be armed against attack.

Last edited:
Sure do. I was carrying a Taurus PT1911 in a cruddy uncle mikes cloth holster on a cheap department store belt. That was dicey sometimes, gun almost fell out sitting at a restaurant one day. I'd like to think I'm a little wiser these days, I now carry a full size Colt 1911 in a custom made IWB holster (modeled after Crossbreed Supertuck) on a crossbreed belt.

Started about 24 years ago carrying a Colt Anaconda with 6" barrel. Not ideal but it worked with Bianchi shoulder holster as long as I wore a jacket of some sorts. I now have many other options but still carry the snake once in a great while for old times sake

i have had a CCP since 67-68, we are a must issue state. there were times i was glad i had my pistol along. eastbank.

About 3 years ago, Ruger LCP, IWB . I was so paranoid that I was printing too much, lol. It only took about 6 months to realize that most people are absolutely oblivious to everything going on around them. Now I carry a S&W SD9VE, Sig P290 or Ruger SP101, still all IWB at about 3:30ish .

I have been carrying, legally, for a year now. In jacket weather in combine an LCR with a DeSantis pocket holster (but if I take off the jacket I give up control of the firearm) and in summer weather I carry a Kel Tec .32 in a CrossBreed minituck. I would like to transition to my Bersa BP9cc, IWB, but even the P32 makes me worry about printing and exposure. I am a carry novice and am trying different gun/holster combinations to find what works the best.

carrying since 2007

it was very awkward because my first pistol was a hi-point 45, heavy as a tank, and bulky as a limousine. It was funny trying to hide, but after a short time I sold it and got a RI 1911 and it was some what less, but I had a way of toting that no one was able to identify because of my weight. then I got a SAXD 45 and now that was a fine concealed carry, it took me almost 2.5 years feeling comfortable toting, because of me being a minister, that is because of the way I was taught. now for sometime I have been comfortable with me FNS40. I finally found the right holster ...alien gear.I wear daily and enjoy the safety it gives, just pray I am not forced to use it but if so then I must.

Almost 7 years of licensed concealed carry.
One single EDC in that time.
Over 6,500 rounds through that pistol.
I am currently on my fourth holster for that same pistol.

All four have been IWB.

first time carrying

I remember in 1970 joined the Police Reserves in my hometown. After exhausted tests and practice we were given ID's, badges, and permission to carry anytime and anywhere within town limits. First time I carried not on duty, I had a reverse holder holster for my monster 4" Colt Python. I wore it under my coat and thought everybody could tell. After awhile I felt naked without it. I'm so used to it now that I never think about it and even turn around and go back home if I forgot to carry it.The Python is in a safe and I carry either my 4" new Ruger GP100 or my 2' Rossi 357 with CT grips. Took me about 30 seconds to get used to the Ruger.

I first started CCW when i turned 21 in 45 years ago. Always have. Second nature. I lived in a good county in a good state.I carried Remington Government 1911 my dad got in an NRA 1960's program. They i got one of the first Stainless S&W M-60s i carried in a shoulder holster. For formal affairs and my wedding i carried my stainless Bauer 25. Was the smallest at the time.

I have been carrying for over a decade now. I started with an empty chamber and a horribly uncomfortable plastic holster. Both have now changed, as my appreciation for quality firearms and accessories has grown.

Back