Release the slide on a 1911

I thank you all for all your input interesting reading . It's nice to through something out and all my forum friends chime in . Even though it is sometimes alittle over my high school level of education , to me it's like we're sitting in my living room coming up with answers to problems , my post really has no right or wrong answer just maybe something to think about when racking your slide . Now let's talk about fitting a 1911 barrel to the slide . Only kidding , way over my pay grade . Thanks Again Guy's , until the next question . Be Well.

Chris

I use the slingshot method because that's how I learned growing up. And now it's just ingrained in my muscle memory.
But I was taught you let it go and never ease it forward as that can cause a mis-feed.

If we accept the odds that ALL your pistols (save one?) aren't "defective" then that only leaves you. You must be doing something the rest of us aren't. OR you're hitting the slide stop without realizing it.

Which, seems a bit more likely than the fact that you are slamming a loaded mag into the gun hard enough to jar it loose from inertia alone.

Could it be possible that when you slam a fresh mag home, your grip shifts enough to bump the slide stop without you realizing it?
44AMP;

It seems you are correct. I just got home a little bit ago and in a righteous fit I went to the safe to prove everyone wrong.

Imagine my chagrin when I found that my thumb does in fact just barely cover the slide release tab on all of my 1911s after dropping the empty. Basically when I push the mag release, my thumb naturally returns to the area on the slide just behind and above the rear of the slide release. It does not with my S&W 1911SC-E because I have the thicker grip panels on it, which is just enough to put my thumb just a few millimeters aft of the slide release. All of my other 1911s feature the thinner grip panels.

With the SIG P229, the release is closer and my thumb naturally rides on it during firing.

Anyway, I was wrong, or I'm probably wrong in my self-assessment. The probability is very high that my thumb actually actuates the slide release when I insert a mag, giving me the illusion that the mag somehow flipped the release. Sorry about that folks.

On the bright side, all of my guns aren't defective (knew that already, but now at least I know what's really happening). Carry on.

kenny53
Releasing the slide on an empty chamber I would agree is harmfull , I've read an saw videos saying the opposite . That would open up another can of worms for sure. When it comes to releasing the slide with a loaded magazine , it comes down to whatever your most comfortable with and wear on the locking lever ( release lever ) isn't a concern . I ask these questions because I enjoy shooting my 3" 1911 more then any of my other handguns . I shoot 50 rounds every week . Colt stopped making the New Agent years ago . For me it's a perfect carry that I love to shooting .

Last edited:
In the movies some even close the cylinder with a flick of the rest, not so good for the revolver. See some funny stuff in the movies .

I have 5 M&P full size and 3 C models 40 and 357SIG and they all will release the slide if I aggressively slap the mag in. I'm used to it shooting them no issue! None of my other pistols will do this!

Anyway, I was wrong, or I'm probably wrong in my self-assessment. The probability is very high that my thumb actually actuates the slide release when I insert a mag, giving me the illusion that the mag somehow flipped the release. Sorry about that folks.

30 days extra duty, and loss of one stripe!

Just kidding.

It's interesting... my last 1911, a Springfield, I fitted with an extended slide release... which was really nice. Then I found, once I started shooting 'thumb over safety' that my thumb did, indeed, slightly rest on the extended stop, so during rapid fire strings and such my slide wouldn't lock back after the last round... I thought my pistol was messed up!

A smith and builder of a 1911 that won at Perry called another friend to get help. Seems the builder released the slide and put a hole through the roof of his shop.

The next friend shows up, same thing; another hole through the roof. Had one of them loaded the pistol with a full magazine one of them or both would have put 7 holes through the roof.

The big time shooter that borrowed the pistol never cleaned the pistol and was hoping the builder would forget who borrowed the pistol. The pistol was so carboned up from all of the ammo that went through it the firing pin was stuck. Once that pistol got started there was no stopping it.

F. Guffey

44AMP;

It seems you are correct.
what, again?? :D:rolleyes:

The reason I asked was because I've done it a few times, myself. Had the pistol "auto close" when I didn't expect it, and not something it usually did. Each time, after the "what the hell??" moment, careful re-construction of the matter showed that it was me, and not the gun that caused it.

Congratulations on having the intestinal fortitude not just to discover the truth of the matter, but also admit it on the forum.
Good job on both.

I really get tired of being right all the time here in my ordinary circle of people so sometimes I come here jut so I can be wrong once in a while.

briandg said:
I really get tired of being right all the time here in my ordinary circle of people so sometimes I come here jut so I can be wrong once in a while.
A guy I used to know sometimes commented, "People who think they're always right are SOOOO annoying to those of us who are."

Slide stop. Check your 1911, with the slide locked back there is very little room to move it back further to "sling shot".

A guy I used to know sometimes commented, "People who think they're always right are SOOOO annoying to those of us who are."

It helps if you live in an area that is known for its concentration of fools. Thank god there are occasionally people who are slightly lesser fools.

When I find a person who is exceptional it is a cherished moment.

And eventually, the guy invests in enron stock or stacks rotten firewood in his home or says "gee, maximum loadings are just guidelines." A couple of weeks ago I was talking to a neighbor whose chainsaw stopped in the middle of work.

"what mix did you use?"

"Mix?"

Just think of me as a Revolver Highlander.

I think of you as a lot of things, and I certainly think of you as being much wiser and far better looking than christopher lambert. You can probably speak english.

And you won't go to a sword fight with a sword.

As I was taught by someone that had been an Armor for one of the Army marksmanship teams..

Hold the 1911 Very Firmly. Think to yourself “it’s gonna go full auto or kaboom” and prepare for those malfunctions.

Release the slide using the thumb lever.

My relaying of his explanation may be faulty, but as I recall he said that working at a military firing range all day for years and personal putting untold rounds down range as part of various tests or for practice or competition, he said odd failures were not common but he’d seen them all.

So... safety first.

My personal opinion is the 1911 is my competition bit of sporting goods. As a fighting weapon, there are safer better modern handguns- but I shoot paper, not people.

Back