Receiver Opinions Please

I had the trigger fail on one of my Dumoulin actions today, so I had to figure out what is in there.

Attachments

• Dumoulin trigger assembly drawing and adjustement  8-13-2015.jpg
    Dumoulin trigger assembly drawing and adjustement 8-13-2015.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Dumoulin trigger 8-13-2015.png.jpg
    Dumoulin trigger 8-13-2015.png.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 50
The trigger force spring is stuck down in the threads of it's hole.

I substituted a $38 Bold 98 Mauser trigger on [type without a safety] adjusted it down to 2 pounds, and I am back on schedule.

Clark, I sure am sorry to see you're working that hard on these when mine went together easier.
Too darn hot to do any serious range work here. I'm waiting on cooler weather before I get serious at the loading bench for the 35 Whelen.

What?
Go to the range?
I can't go a few hours without making a gun forum post.
I can't go a few weeks without buying a gun.

But go to the range.....except for single shots into the dirt and a varmint here or there, it has been 10 months since I shot a paper target.

Don't screw in that screw too far or it will happen to you.

Then you will be forced to spend $38 on a very similar, but better trigger.
The Bold swaps the positions of the over travel and spring force screws.

Unfortunately Clark, I live in an urban environment. In order to test loads or just go plinking, a trip to the range is required. Since I'm a part-time employee it costs me nothing but the fuel and ammo.
Oh, to be able to walk out the back door a zero the sights for 200 yards.

I could go to the range 1/2 hour from here, but....

I have 3 out of state deer tags for 900 miles from here. I want to take 3 new rifles plus a backup rifle.
I plan on showing up a month early to the hunting grounds with reloading facilities in my vehicle and do long range target practice.

I have got 2 rifles built, scoped, and ammo loaded:
1) 1903 Turkish Mauser 6mmRem Douglas barrel
2) 2015 Dumoulin Mauser 6.5-06 Shilen barrel

I have chambered and bedded, I am working today on feed lips and mag well mill out:
3) 1939 Mosin Nagant 300WinMag Krieger barrel

What does it all mean?
I may not produce a Dumoulin range report until late October. And my write ups from out in the sage brush are usually bad.

OK, I am coming back to this thread a little late, but here is my very European-looking rifle on a DuMoulin action. XX English walnut stock, Dakota grip cap and sling swivel mounts, 1/2 octagon barrel with integral rib, wraparound checkering front and rear, epoxy finish, topped with an older Leupold 3-9X I had sitting around, mounted in Leupold QRX rings. Chambered for 7X57 like a proper Mauser should be. Weighs in at a very respectable 7-1/2 lbs.
[IMG[/IMG]

Thanks, Dixie. The stock cost me plenty of sweat equity, and yes, the whole rifle has cost waaaay too much. I was figuring it out last night, and it scared me so I stopped. Shilen barrel blank, stock blank, about 8 hours of machine time, about 40-50 hours of bench time, and of course the cost of the action and small parts, plus bluing. If I had made it for a customer, I could afford to go hunting this year.:D

Very nice, Scorch.

Don't feel bad about being "late" to the party. Mine is still sitting in the safe as a hand-tight barreled action with the rough-shaped stock next to it, with nothing done to clean up the parts that were rough from the factory.
I have everything that I need to finish it, except for the butt pad/plate. ....and time.

Right now, hunting season keeps getting in the way. ...No complaint here, though. ;) I have all winter to work on projects, after the hunting seasons are closed. (And my basement will be at a reasonable humidity level, again.)

Very well done Scorch. You've done the action proud I must say.
Sometimes, it's only all about the beauty of the finished product. You nailed it.

Attachments

• Mule doe 6.5-06 120 gr NBT 10-26-2015.jpg
    Mule doe 6.5-06 120 gr NBT 10-26-2015.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 6.5-06 2015 s.jpg
    6.5-06 2015 s.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 40
I broke the Dumoulin trigger group. I put in a Timney featherweight. That combination has problems. If I pull the trigger it goes click. When I take the 3 position safety off, the fining pin fires.

That means the geometry is wrong between the cocking piece/sear and the trigger. Shave back the mating surface until it isn't pressing against the trigger when the safety is applied. At least if you want to keep using the Timney trigger.

When the action is cycled, the trigger resets by the sear return spring, and the firing pin is being held to the rear by the sear interface, even with the safety in the on position. You need to remove enough material that when the safety is in the on position, the firing pin is fully engaged with the safety and not the trigger.

Jimro

The DuMoulin Mauser has a 3-position swing-type safety (think Model 70), it retracts the firing pin, lifting the striker sear from the secondary sear when the safety is applied, allowing the secondary sear to lift off of the primary sear (trigger nose). When the safety is pushed forward to the fire position, the firing pin is eased back down onto the secondary sear. Since you changed out the trigger and the new trigger's sear is farther to the rear, you need to work on the striker sear to ensure it actually lifts off the sear when the safety lever is pushed towards the rear.

Back