“Reasonable” Primer cost?

Plenty of primers $9.99 a 100 at Bass pro Canada!!!
Thats right they have plenty and they make sure and let you know they will not ship outside of Canada!

What is reasonable? Whatever someone is willing to pay. Remember, a seller can always easily lower his price as opposed to raising it to the level it should have been. Retailers have to price things not based on what they paid, but based on what their replacement cost will be (why you see gas go up quickly and come down slowly). Some of these smaller guys might be looking at months before they can get a little more inventory - and they still have to keep the lights on. If you have local shops with supplies, support them because if the current regime decides to outlaw or highly tax/regulate the internet sales of these items and your local guys are gone, then what are you going to do?

Last I bought primers was 2018. I'd love to see them drop to $50/1K as the last price I paid was $37/1K 4 years ago. I don't plan on buying any at $100/1K, but I have seen them at $75 a few times.

If they don't come down, I will consider buying factory 9mm and .223 and saving what I have left for my more expensive calibers that use the small primers, and cut my shooting of large pistol primers significantly.

But I also don't think the sky is falling. Prices will drop at some point.

Right now Vista controls 80% of the US production (Fed, CCI, Rem) with Win being 20%. Foreign primers are a pretty small slice of the pie. The cost to set up and manufacture primers is massive, and no new capacity has been added for decades. But there are 3 US companies jumping in with production at one set to begin this summer. That will help tremendously.

And yet I was able to easily score 5K of Cheddite 209s for my shotguns when everything US is OOS. I bought Win 209s in 2018 from my local club before I moved for $125/5K; I just paid $375 for 5K - at least I can reload and shoot.

I bought Winchester SP Primers a few years ago when they dropped considerably in price. I think with volume purchase, rebate & free shipping I paid about $21 per 1000. Bought enough to last me the rest of my shooting days. I knew at the time that they would always be worth as much as I paid for them.

If I were in need again today & I could get them for $50/1000 on a volume buy, I would buy many cases knowing they will probably always be worth what I paid.

I don't expect they will ever get below $50 / 1000.

I stocked up on Rem 7 1/2 when they were $30 since there were no pistol primers and I knew they would serve for small pistol and small pistol magnum in many cases too. I'm saving my small pistol primers for where a soft primer is a must. Down to a couple bricks of large pistol primers and with the cost of everything I will probably reload till I'm out and them. Unfortunately Large Rifle primers can't double for large pistol primers!

God help us. We could never fight WWII again and be the Arsenal of Democracy. We can't even supply domestic plinkers.

I forget who to give credit to for saying it first:

"Never assign conspiracy to that which can be explained by incompetence"

Pulling off a conspiracy successfully is not easy. Bumbling just happens. "The genius of fools is infinite" (Blake)

But some more dismal news that may soak up components is the ammo we are sending Ukraine.

Good,bad,or ugly, some promiscuous shooting is likely ,it seems.

I will pay whatever the current market price is. I will not pay scalping prices. I will pay Midway $100 for a brick of CCI #41 before I pay $250+ on Gunbroker

Have seen them I'm shops in the last week. First shop was selling for 13 per 100. 2nd shop wanted 175 per 1000. I passed on both. I'm willing to flirt with 10 per 100, or 100 per 1000, but not kuch more.

[Get back to us when you run out of primers.] That could be up to 10 years from now, maybe longer and then I'll be close to 80 and won't care.

Since I don't have a "quote" feature, the above will have to do.

Bill

[Get back to us when you run out of primers.] That could be up to 10 years from now, maybe longer and then I'll be close to 80 and won't care.

Since I don't have a "quote" feature, the above will have to do.

Bill
I have never had trouble with the quote feature. You do have to select "Quote message in reply?" below the space where you type your response, after hitting the little emblem in the lower right corner of the message you are quoting.

Today, I would pay $60 per 1000 of what I need. If I have some, I’m not looking to resupply over $40 per 1000.

I have never had trouble with the quote feature. You do have to select "Quote message in reply?" below the space where you type your response, after hitting the little emblem in the lower right corner of the message you are quoting.
Well, that actually works so thank you for the help. Every other forum I'm a member of has an actual "quote" button to click on, not a two step process you have to go through.

Bill

That's exactly my point. When you have 10 years worth of primers, it's easy to say you won't pay over 10 cents a primer. Heck, you can just as easily say you won't pay over 2 cents a primer. Hence, "Get back to us when you run out of primers."

Back