“Reasonable” Primer cost?

I'm pretty dang happy I'm still walking the earth and able to shoot when I want.

Amen brother , glad you're here with us . I enjoy your posts even on the rare occasion we don't agree ;)

If I had to , I think I'd pay $100+ for primer . I'm lucky I have a bunch . I used to say I have plenty but after this shortage going on for so long I can just say I have a bunch . Not going to run out any time soon but now am concerned it could actually happen .

Last edited:
Thanks metal.:) I shoot about 1,000 cartridges a month except when traveling overseas--much to the amazement of locals who wonder why I never seem to get any better. :D Primers go fast.

a good friend who reloads and shoots all he can, cut out those couple of beers(1.75 a bottle)on the weekend and cut his smoking(7.00 a pack) way down along with not taking any useless trips(3.59 gallon). and in a month he figures he saved close to 110.00 a month to spend on primbers ect.

We've all read about the cartridge demand for first-time gun owners being based on a one-box purchase putting a strain on production. Such folks that I know are not shooting 100 rounds a week, but I'm not aware of the stockpile level that satisfies their level of comfort.
In any event, as such, it should be leveling off unless there is something else increasing demand. I hate to be a conspiracy theorist, but if the Biden administration will spend 5 BILLION dollars to purchase Pfizer's new anti-Covid oral medication one month before the FDA officially approves it (that's $500 for a 5-day course of treatment) I have to wonder if Uncle Sam is eye-balling some amount of gun control by controlling available inventories.

Managed to stock up a bit before the current lunacy. Paid $140 per
5000 rd sleeve for WSP. Down to around 15,000. Sounds like a lot,
but wife and I both shoot USPSA, and at 150 rounds a match per gun
for local matches and up to 500 per gun for major matches they go fast.

We both retired in 2017. Might have to go back to work to feed the habit.

I remember paying $30 per 1000 when I started loading
Was $10 when I started reloading.... That said I think $40 is a reasonable price for standard Large Pistol Primers in these times. Just me though. Problem is, there are people buying at whatever the price, so stores can just keep jacking the price up. As long as they sale, no reason to lower prices. I have enough stocked to last me quite some time (years in fact), so not having to buy at the 'inflated' prices.

I've been able to find/order/receive primers(CCI SRP) and the average price was just under $100 as I was able to order 2 bricks/order, so that helped on shipping and hazmat fees.

Just scored from brownells. Cci large pistol, $82.99 per 1000, 2 box max. After tax, shipping, and the haz mat fee, came to $210.72. Or $105.36 per 1000. Not great, but fair.

Per shot reloading still cheaper than off the shelf . . .

I recently paid a touch over $100 for a brick of CCI small rifle primers. Will use them for reloading 223. Also recently bought a "big box" of 223 off the shelf and they were about 80 cents a round. Even paying ten cents per primer, I will still save about 50 cents a round.

I think that as long as there is a huge per-shot savings then I will find the primer price reasonable.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Back in 84 I purchased some components from a little shop called Dexter Automotive in Dexter Kansas. Still shooting that purchase up. At that time I paid so little for primers maybe .17 cents a package per 100 count for Win brand.
My advice: Check out those estate sales in your area. Some of those recently passed old-timer reloaders are better supplied than Bass Pro & Midway.

Inflation is out of control as well. printing free money for everyone who votes correctly has pushed primers up 6% this year alone, plus extraordinay fuel prices to get them to your stores. this combined with all the good observations above demands $80/brick. free market forces are fine. market manipulation isn't. At least most of you don't have to buy a US Passport and pay for background checks to buy ammo (yet). that drives up costs as well.

No evidence of manipulation or general inflation driving primer prices up. None of those influences is anywhere near to explaining the 230% that primers have gone up. You'd have to show people ran around spending all their stimulus money on primers to prove that idea. Instead, the high prices are just the result of normal market forces that are present whenever demand exceeds supply. The manufacturers are being open to Forbes and other investment news media about what's happening and certainly don't want the SCC breathing down their necks for trying to manipulate their stock prices or the FTC after them for illegal trade practices. By Occam's Razor, adding manipulation increases the complexity of the explanation of what is going on, making it less likely to be true.

No evidence of manipulation or general inflation driving primer prices up.

Although I don't disagree this "was" not largely manipulated . I disagree there is no manipulation . There's maybe 1k ways to sanction governments for things you feel they've done . When a anti admin bans importation of the very thing that can help relieve the market in the name of sanctions . That is a clear manipulation of the market . Especially when said banned items would almost certainly be cheaper to buy thus relieving the domestic manufacturing demand . I don't know this as fact but my guess is at worst an anti admin would also be doing all kinds of things behind the scenes to push the shortage along and at best doing nothing to get us out of it .

Last edited:
Unclenick, this shortage we been experiencing has lasted this long, due to ammo manufacturers having contracts with governments and supplying them. They prioritize government over us.

Last edited:
With true inflation running about 20% I'll say at most $48 per brick as I paid $40 for a brick of Federal primers in March 2020.

There is no excuse for selling primers for more than $50 a brick other than gouging. If the manufacturers are now charging $60 or $70 a brick (they're not) for primers then the current prices for primers is on both distributors and retailers price gouging.

During the Obama shortage, a member of the club I belong to put an ad on the club's newsletter for a sleeve (100 primers). The price printed was $12, which was about 4x of the normal price. When I met the guy, he asked for $120! The club printed $12 because it was too crazy to be real. It must be a typo. I was desperate but not that desperate. That guy's judgement on supply and demand must be a bit off.

I have learned to stock up since. I can see the price is softening in the "black market". For now, I accept price of up to $75 per 1k, which is about 2x, if I am really running low. I will wait otherwise.

Conserve and improvise, plus a bit of trade and bartering, we will get through this one. It ain't that bad really.

-TL

P.S. I just bought 2k wolf SRP for $75 each. Not bad. Most primers are going for $125 per 1k. But I have seen more and more $120, and occasionally $100. It is a good sign.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Metal God said:
There's maybe 1k ways to sanction governments for things you feel they've done . When a anti admin bans importation of the very thing that can help relieve the market in the name of sanctions . That is a clear manipulation of the market .

That's evidence of trying to manipulate the Russians by hitting a profitable export, not the civilian ammunition market. At least, not yet. If the ban is still there in a couple of years, then you can start to argue market manipulation. There is still a couple of year's worth of Russian ammo importing already approved and it will take that long for it to conclude. That you can't find it today is because of long (think multiple months) delays in ocean freight due to COVID-19 that affects all consumer goods, and panic buying by people who mistakenly think the ban will immediately end all import of the stuff and who rush to get as much as they can before it is gone.

9MMand223only said:
Unclenick, this shortage we been experiencing has lasted this long, due to ammo manufacturers having contracts with governments and supplying them. They prioritize government over us.

According to the NSSF, the U.S. civilian ammunition market in the last decade has been about 15 billion rounds a year. Government contracts have been about 1.5 billion rounds a year and thus are not large enough to account for the kind of drain we now see. The only exception is when the military needs to replenish stockpiles, as it did after a decade in Iraq. That added demand for about 4 billion more rounds than usual causing a diversion of a portion of civilian manufacturing capacity to supplement Lake City for about two years. But then it was over. There is no such replenishing going on currently, as is evidenced by new Lake City ammunition and cartridge cases still showing up in the civilian market periodically. If they were currently stockpiling, it would all be kept by the military.

The real problem is the 15 Billion round civilian market average has now gone the way of the dinosaur. I am hoping the NSSF will come out with figures for last year soon, but if all twelve million new gun owners from the last two years bought a hundred rounds each for their new guns, that's 1.2 billion rounds additional demand right there, and you know a lot of them will shoot that up in a week and want more. Add the over-buyers to them and I wouldn't be surprised if the civilian demand was at 150%-200% of historic levels this last year. The fact the ammo plants have added hundreds of employees and are now running three shifts is evidence that it must be big numbers like that. Winchester says it produced more hunting ammunition last year than in any other year in history, and you know government contracts are not going to be for hunting ammunition.

The numbers are mind-boggling, and a massive increase in civilian market demand is the only thing that fits.

TruthTellers said:
With true inflation running about 20%

More like 7%. However, surveys show the average person's perception is that it is much higher than it actually is. This is due to a tendency of the human brain to remember things that alarm it, like the prices for favorite items that jump out at you because they show above-average increases. In that situation, we tend to forget that boring things like the water bill haven't gone up as much (at least, not in most places).

Back