“Reasonable” Primer cost?

ciwsguy

So what do you consider to be a reasonable cost of a brick (Qty 1000) small pistol or small rifle primers? CCI, Winchester or Federal brand?
I’m seeing primers occasionally at local retailers and small gun shops, going rate is between $75 to $90 per brick. So what do you reloaders out there consider a reasonable cost considering inflation which is not going down anytime soon.
Just wondering

Considering they used to be $10/1000, then increased over time to $36, then jumped to $70 the last time I could get them, I'd be happy if they dropped to no more than $50/1000. If they stay at $70-80 or more, I'll probably stop reloading after 44 years.

$100/1000 seems pricey, but consider the alternative. My large volume ammo is 204 Ruger. Currently unobtaniam. Has been mostly nonexistent for a couple of years. Cost? $1.20/rd. up to $1.80/rd.
Reloading cost:
Brass...$0.35@....10 reloads = $0.035
Powder....25gr...............................0.12
Primer.............................................0.10
Bullet...............................................0.25

Total cost = $0.56
We all know the routine. Buy when supplies are available and stock up. Reloading, shooting and hunting are my hobbies. Beats going even nutter than I already am.

That seems to be the going rate . Unfortunately I think it's going to stay close to $70 for a very long time . I never thought we would ever get back to $25 a brick but thought it would settle in around $40 or $50 . Right now I think we will be lucky if we ever see them below $60 a brick . Sure there will be some on occasion lower but generally these prices are here to stay IMHO .

On a side note I/we thought prices on components would have been coming down by now . I had not been looking to buy anything in the last few months and was truly surprised how not only have prices NOT come down but have actually went up in the last few months on components . Bullets and powder are at least 10% higher then they were 4 months ago . Pre election and Covid I used to pay $80 for 2k Hornady 55gr FMJ-BT , 6 months ago I paid $120 and now they're $180 . 175gr SMK forget about it :rolleyes: 500 69gr smk's cost as much as 500 168gr smk's did .

Last edited:
People had the chance to stock up before the commie crud hit, but didn't. Now they wring their hands and get cold sweats from the lack of cheap components.

I'm down to 30K in primers. Oh woe is me, what shall I do.

Bill

I just picked up 5000 S&B SRP’s for $80.00/ brick in a private sale, and while it makes me cringe I’m guessing retail wise even when things settle down prices will end up around $70.00/ brick. So I feel it was an okay price. I’m planning on using them for pistol once my regular SPP’s are gone or rifle if SPP’s become available within the next year or so.

Please stop wasting your time with wishful thinking and go start a company to manufacture primers. Then YOU can say what primers cost. Thank you.

People had the chance to stock up before the commie crud hit, but didn't. Now they wring their hands and get cold sweats from the lack of cheap components.

I'm down to 30K in primers. Oh woe is me, what shall I do.

Bill
Nonsense. Primers, especially small pistol primers have never been abundant in my area. I have never seen more than four bricks of Federal Small Pistol Primers at any of the particular gun stores/shops I frequented way before the Biden presidency and $35 per thousand. I would often buy all they had, or would let me have.

Scheel's had their grand opening here last October. Primers were $60/box. Not a fan of having a limitation on how many you could buy on a daily basis. But I understood their intent. It allowed for them to keep stock for over a week and give a chance for everyone to buy.

There's a local shop that had them for $80/brick. They lasted a hot minute. And they're in a small town in the middle of nowhere. That was back in December.

Haven't seen any, since. I suspect prices will remain in the $80 range and settle to about $70 after we see them regularly stocked. My prediction for that is summer of 2023...IF elections go the way they should in November.

I did some swapping and ended up with some tagged at $69.95.
When the weather gets up to my match minimums, that store is not far from a range I visit and I will pay that for more if they have any.

No way to tell where primer pricing will go. It looks bad now, but we are still in the situation where supply is short and people want to over-buy whenever they find a supply and if the merchant will let them. A TV economist says this applies to any commodity that has a shortage. Toilet paper, for example, got over-bought at any price when the pandemic started. A friend of mine says his neighbor grabbed the stuff like it would never be available again and didn't stop until he took inventory and realized he had accumulated a four-year supply in his garage. So it isn't until, first, supply becomes adequate AND after the over-buyers saturate themselves that it stops being a seller's market. Only then can you expect prices to start to find their new normal.

One of Adam Smith's basic concepts is that in a competitive environment, prices tend toward the cost of production. Right now, there is no competitive environment because it is a seller's market, with demand exceeding supply. As discussed in several previous threads, interviews with the presidents of the major brand companies running the factories show they have all added personnel and are operating 24/7, but demand still can't be met. It can take several years to get new plant capacity fully in place and running, so this will take a while to resolve. It seems to me that in 2012 it took like 18 months for CCI to bring two more primer lines up, but I assume that was on land already zoned for their existing facilities. There are places where it can take that long just to get building permits for a safe activity. Businesses working with environmentally sensitive materials can take longer to get permitted. In addition, there was hesitancy in 2020 about putting plans to expand plant facilities into action because the industry had geared up to supply a high volume market two administrations back, then got stuck holding the bag when the last administration came in and gun owners stopped fear-driven buying.

Primers are going to take an especially long time to come back because not only are primer makers giving priority to supplying primers for their loaded ammunition manufacturing (where they have the most facility investment to recoup and employees to keep paid as well as profit to be made), but some newer players, like Ammo Inc, have got previously-planned finished ammunition facilities coming online this year, and they don't make primers. So they will be competing with us to buy primers, too, and you can bet that will make primers even more scarce than they are now, for a time. Finished ammo will continue to get almost all the available primers for at least another couple of years, I expect.

All this is due to normal free market forces at work. About the only thing "commies" or other anti-private-gun-ownership forces have to do with it is helping perpetuate the seller's market by panicking people into buying whatever they can whenever they can. About the only ray of hope I see in the mess is that Winchester's president made it clear he believes the new first-time gun buyers and the big surge in hunting represent a permanent market increase. That means there is now a willingness to invest in new facilities that was absent in 2020 and that will eventually result in catching up the supply chain. Just don't expect it to be fast, given the long lead times for building new facilities. These are currently being made even longer by the steel supply chain problems in the pandemic.

It's just a perfect storm.

I'm wondering what the "reasonable" price is for a modest home is in my state of Colorado. I'd guess its about the same in Texas ,or any other state that the folks are moving to.

What is a reasonable price for a gallon of gasoline?

Ok,OK,.......I'll just stay home and cook myself a nice dinner. What is a reasonable price for a beautiful ribeye?

Then there is the price of a good solid used vehicle....

Or you might try home improvement. Lumber. Plywood.

And no one has a crystal ball.

I recall the movie Butch Cassidy. One of them commented on Bolivia not quite living up to expectations. The other said something optimistic. The reply? "How do you know? This might be the Garden Spot of Bolivia!!"

For now,it is what it is. Components seem high. Another commodity to consider. Time.

Not like time/money.

The time you have on this Earth. Your Life. How much of it do you want to spend hiding from this constant nagging message of fear?

COVID is gonna get you!!

How about this idea. Go ahead and grill up a $16.00 ribeye. Or two,or three.

You love to shoot? Out of primers? If you find some 75 primers,buy a thousand. Or two. Go shooting!! If you are a "boomer", you recognize one of the people in the obits every week. Next week,it might be your shooting buddy. Or YOU!!

Nieces? Nephews? Grandkids? What is a shooting adventure worth to them?

Or dig some flipping worms and take them fishing.Perch.

YES PRICES are HIGH!! But by golly, what is the price of staying home and moping about it?

Give up 30 round magazine dumps!! Squeeze one good one at a time.

Fire a controlled double tap and do a mag change drill.

If you go call coyotes, what will the price of your primers be?

Imagine this:

A matched pair of Chipmunk or Crickett or other cute little bitty .22 single shots. A brick of 22 rimfire ammo,even if its $100 !!

And a Dueling tree. Whether its grandkids or fellow Boomer Buddies, if you can't figure out how to turn that into an exciting World Championship Shootoff.....Check into Hospice.( Remember eye and ear protection)

These ARE the Good Old Days !! Spend them well!

There are the things we can change,and the things we can't.

If you can be happy looking up at the sky watching the clouds change,,,Good For You!! Thats one way to be rich.

If its a clear blue sky day don't find a way to be miserable because there are no clouds to watch.

I remember....as a kid I could go spend a whole day exploring the river, with my Stevens 20 ga SXS and three shells.

Last edited:
It's just a perfect storm.

Yeah but ..... it seems there might be some rain dancers prolonging the storm . We do not have a friend in power that is willing to do anything to help when and if possible . Infact the opposite is true so although I agree there was a perfect storm , the rain clouds could/should have started to clear by now .

Looks like I paid $11 for the box of CCI Large pistol primers. Just about to start into that one. The Winchester Small Pistol primers were a little cheaper, maybe $9 per thousand?

I have more modern boxes of primers from maybe 8 - 9 years ago that have prices near double the one shown.

Attachments

• primers price.jpg
    primers price.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 70
If you want to keep reloading price is no object.

In my case if I run out and can't fine small rifle then I will have to buy the setup for a 6.5 Creedmore as I have plenty of large rifle primes,

I backed myself into the 6.5 x 47 Lapua corner as I failed to research it deep enough to realize it only came in small rifle.

Still have 2000 or so, good for the summer and then??????????

I remember paying $30 per 1000 when I started loading. Around the start of the current shortages I was getting them for $45 per 1000. Middle of last year I was getting them for $80 per 1000. I would be willing to pay 100, maybe 120 per 1000, but that either in store, or shipped to my door.

Midway CCI snall rifle magnum in stock

Just checked Ammoseek
Midway has CCI small rifle magnum in stock.
They will likely be gone Pronto. Keep looking and pounce when you locate some.

My last purchase was actually an add on to an on-line bulk powder order that I made just to spread out the Hazmat.

I seem to recall it being about 9 months prior to the election and I wanted to stock up on powders (powder was harder to get than primers last shortage).

When I made that order, I should have looked harder at my primer stash and calculated my usage better, because I now am down to 1 K SPP, 6 K SPM and 6K LPP.

I while back, I shifted reloading and shooting over to reduce the SPP usage rate, but there is a load or two that will still get the "most precious" resource.

However, I recently spent less than $200 to help with my primer situation.

For less than the cost to buy two bricks of primers, I stocked up on the gear and materials needed to re-load 30K or so of non-corrosive SPP primers. Under $90 would get me the materials for another 60K. The info on how to do this is out there (search for Aardvark reloading). It is slow and tedious, and methods are a mix of art and science at the moment. I am retired, so I have the time, but again this is not for everyone. The results are not as good or reliable as factory primers, I am just trying to stretch out my stash until prices and availability are better.

I just paid on average $125 per thousand of both small and large rifle primers. Unfortunately I wasn't blessed with the foresight of Moses and stash enough of them to meet the needs of an entire army for a century. One of the custom barrel makers I like is also charging much more for their barrels now. Peanut butter and cheese in my local grocery now costs 40% more than it did just a year ago.

It is what it is, and it really depends on how much you want to go on shooting IMO. Except that if I choose to curtail or stop shooting, I've also rendered all the powder, bullets, cases etc that I invested in useless. I'm also well north of 60 years old, not in best of health and don't exactly have the luxury of waiting things out. So I choose to pay the higher prices, sometimes for inferior quality stuff.

I'm pretty dang happy I'm still walking the earth and able to shoot when I want.

perspective.

Back