Real ID coming soon

Pat H

The demand for your internal passport, either a real passport or the new federally approved Real ID drivers license, begins soon.

It seems to me the federal government isn't seeing the benefits of their passport requirement for entry into federal buildings, not for them but for we who wish to leave the dictatorial US government behind. This will tell people that they live in a state that has taken the initial steps to secession from the Union.

I certainly view that as a positive lesson.

I'm pleased to say that South Carolina has legally forbidden use of the Real ID and so have other states.

Such as Montana.

Good For Montana

Posted by Manuel Lora at 06:55 AM
Many states have rejected Real ID, including MT. Now its governor wants other states to more actively put up a fight against the DHS:

Montana governor Brian Schweitzer (D) declared independence Friday from federal identification rules and called on governors of 17 other states to join him in forcing a showdown with the federal government which says it will not accept the driver's licenses of rebel states' citizens starting May 11. If that showdown comes to pass, a resident of a non-complying state could not use a driver's license to enter a federal courthouse or a Social Security Administration building nor could he board a plane without undergoing a pat-down search, possibly creating massive backlogs at the nation's airports and almost certainly leading to a flurry of federal lawsuits.

Maybe it's not so bad that it would be more difficult to enter a federal courthouse or a Social[ist] [in]Security building.
The DHS has replied: "That will mean real consequences for their citizens starting in may if their leadership chooses not to comply. That includes getting on an airplane or entering a federal building, so they will need to get passports."
The two "options" we have are passports or the national ID. The Orwellian machinery functions quite well these days.
Attribution

I have still not bought into the fear associated with that national ID. The government already has a ton of information on me. The national ID won't tell them anything they don't already know.

The national ID won't tell them anything they don't already know.

Except for the micro chip in the ID that will track your every movement. All new passports have them, But you stinking minions don't carry them every day!

Big Brother already has so much data on me a national license would not add anything else. The IRS knows all about my finances, I was finger printed and checked through the FBI for my TX CHL. I use credit cards and a cell phone which will tell them my whereabouts at any time. In 2008, all TX real estate agents (that's me) are required to have fingerprints on file with the DPS & FBI and this is spreading to other occupations. If you're worried about Uncle Sam knowing to much about you, it's to late.

I'm for it if it will help with the illegal immigrant situation and a reduction in them using our local services which cost me money.

The link I posted is one of the most reputable on the internet.

More is better, particularly for the Google impaired.

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/01/montana-governo.html

http://www.montanasnewsstation.com/Global/story.asp?S=7744364&nav=menu227_7

http://www.jacksonholestartrib.com/.../wyoming/00b12e02613f71c2872573ce000aabc7.txt

http://kennebecjournal.mainetoday.com/news/local/4649267.html

http://tinyurl.com/2lj423

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9848924-7.html?tag=nefd.pulse

real_id_poster-vi.jpg

Great...now how many millions of confidential records did the Veterans Administration lose on a laptop a couple years ago? How many millions of customers credit data did TJ Maxx lose last year?

Anybody want to take a guess how long it'll be after the full implementation of real ID that the data is compromised and millions of people will at risk for ID theft?

Oh no, not a hard to duplicate biometrical identifier resolving issues surrounding identiy theft, a variety of fraud schemes, and national security! Oh and the entering of data just sped up tremendously since you'll be able to scan it, adding to the perceived convenience of hundreds of millions of transactions annually!

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

The sky is falling! The sky is... thump.

New Hampshire already passed a law banning compliance with RealID, declaring which articles of the State and US Constitution it was "repugnant" to. One representative read from Patrick Henry on the House floor, in the same place people have been speaking from since 1816.

Some of us aren't sheep.

To those who want it? Good luck getting an error fixed when a min-wage bureaucrat enters the wrong number in a table cell. Hope you enjoy writing and mailing physical letters (email? no, no, LETTER), and getting form letters for the wrong problem in about, oh, six months or so.

The further you are from that which controls your life, the more likely it is to be screwed up.

And we all know how flawless the Do Not Fly list has been. Let's make it even more complex, with more points of failure! Let Big Government flunkies thousands of miles away control every aspect of your life! Bigger, government, bigger! Sheer brilliance!

New Hampshire already passed a law banning compliance with RealID, declaring which articles of the State and US Constitution it was "repugnant" to. One representative read from Patrick Henry on the House floor, in the same place people have been speaking from since 1816.

That's great, but lets see how long New Hampshire's great stand for liberty continues when the federal government says they won't give them any funds until they repeal that law and accept Real ID. I suspect NH's enthusiasm will quickly fade, and the sheepdogs will quickly grow wool.

There are 17 states that have adopted laws opposing Real ID, more are expected.

I'm hopeful that this is a sign of a rebellion of the kind that's been needed in America for a long time; a peaceful rebellion in which the several states begin to dismantle the leviathan federal state.

State Legislation Rejecting REAL ID (17 total)

* Tennessee, SJR 0248 (pdf) (html) (enrolled June 14, 2007)
* South Carolina, S 449 (pdf) (html) (enrolled June 5, 2007)
* Nebraska, (pdf) (html) (adopted May 30, 2007)
* New Hampshire, HB 685 (pdf) (html) (adopted May 24, 2007)
* Oklahoma, SB 464 (pdf) (Word) (approved May 23, 2007)
* Illinois, HJR 0027 (pdf) (html) (adopted May 22, 2007)
* Missouri, HCR 20 (pdf) (html) (adopted May 17, 2007)
* Nevada, AJR 6 (pdf) (html) (enrolled May 14, 2007)
* Colorado, HJR 1047 (pdf) (html) (signed May 14, 2007)
* Georgia, SB 5 (pdf) (html) (signed May 11, 2007)
* Hawaii, SCJ 31 (pdf) (html) (adopted April 25, 2007)
* North Dakota, SCR 4040 (pdf) (html) (signed April 20, 2007)
* Washington (pdf) (html) (signed April 18, 2007)
* Montana, HB 287 (pdf) (html) (signed April 17, 2007)
* Arkansas, SCR 22 (pdf) (signed March 28, 2007)
* Idaho, HJM 3 (pdf) (html) (signed March 12, 2007)
* Maine, SP 113 (pdf) (html) (adopted January 25, 2007)

Here's the link to read each state law prohibiting cooperation.

Last edited:
I can't believe there are people on this kind of forum that doesn't view this as a "big deal". Someone even says they are in FAVOR of it?

It's not the fact that the govt. already has so much information on you, we all know they do. But the fact that they are beginning to regulate your mobility based on having or not having a national ID card is what is scary. Yes, of course it sounds like it's no big deal on the onset, but if you live long enough, you can be SURE that they will use it to be more and more restrictive. Your sons or grandsons will one day hear this:

"Sorry you forgot your REAL ID, but no ID no milk, now move along please."

Yeah, make fun of me all you want about tinfoil hats. Just look at it in light of the gun rights issue, the hunters out there want handguns and "scary" military style guns out. This is exactly what happened in Britain and Australia. Some guns, became ALL guns. Collectibles, pieces of history, art, self defense, Olympic match guns, ALL gone.

And using the old line, "defense against illegal immigrant use of services is BS". There already is a defense against that, it's called the social security number, and it is used everywhere where real important transactions are made. Illegals DO NOT have a SSN. If you want to blame something, blame whatever service or company is allowing service to illegals without use of one. You don't think that when REAL ID is out, they won't still be providing services to illegals without one? Wrong.

Using that argument is the same as using the FEAR of the masses to "do whatever is necessary" to defend against terrorism.

I mean, the Civil Rights Act was only passed in 1964, that is not so long ago. Schools were only starting to be desegregated a little before that. Was it really that LONG ago when the govt. rounded up 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation American citizens into camps simply because of their ethnic origin? Just because it's LAW don't make it RIGHT.

Don't worry, your nation thanks you for your service in OIF, OEF, Nam or whatever, but God forbid you want to travel and you don't have your ID or follow in whatever else they want to place on us, all that will go right out the window. It will then be your word against their WORD. You will then have to find out how much justice you can AFFORD.

Oh no, not a hard to duplicate biometrical identifier resolving issues surrounding identiy theft, a variety of fraud schemes, and national security! Oh and the entering of data just sped up tremendously since you'll be able to scan it, adding to the perceived convenience of hundreds of millions of transactions annually!

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

The sky is falling! The sky is... thump.

Wow, and your sig line says "defend our way of life".

Yes it will be more convenient Erik.

"Mr. Erik, why did you purchase more than one gun in such a short timeframe?" "We see the make, model number and serial number of one of the weapons show that it is an "assault style weapon". What is your purpose for purchasing this firearm?" FLAGGED
"Mr Erik, why did you borrow a book titled "Understanding Islamic Terrorists" from the library?" FLAGGED
"Mr Erik, why have you been traveling so sporadically lately? Our records indicate you have no family members in ND, and your work does not require you to be there." FLAGGED

It's about fixing the broken vase, not throwing another one on the ground and mixing the pieces together.

We have to put up with this because the DHS, and the TSA are dreadfully incompetent? Instead of seeing that it's WATER in the water bottle, or snatching the milk bottle right out of your baby's mouth, or realizing that a nail clipper can't do squat (o man I needed to curse right there), how about better training and common sense?

Do you believe gun bans work as well? Do you think we should restrict gun ownership because there are people who would use them for harm?

I think if you're in favor of REAL ID, you are the one who is wearing a tinfoil hat. It's no different than just "throwing money at the problem" and hope it gets solved.

I can't believe so few states opposed this. Pat H, do you know when we are supposed to "comply"? Last I heard, they pushed it back to 2013 to "clarify" some things.

Oh no, not a hard to duplicate biometrical identifier resolving issues surrounding identiy theft, a variety of fraud schemes, and national security!

Erik, what biometric data willbe entered on the national/"real" ID card that can br crossed checked? As far as I'm aware, none. And funny you should mention national security; the federal government can't even keep secure information at Los Alamos National Lab...and that was breached more than once. Does anyone seriously believe that if the federal government cannot maintain the security of highly classified information such as nuclear secrets, they're going to protect your personal data any better (especially in light of similar such data security breaches at the VA?)

No offense, but the federal government has already established a poor track record in dealing with sensitive data.

Re: Tracking capability of RFID receivers, tinfoil invocation just might be overly smug? :o

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/07/10/rfid/index.html

excerpt:
A group of hackers at the 2005 DefCon technology convention in Las Vegas, Nevada, used an antenna attached to an RFID reader to scan the information on a tag nearly 70 feet away.

Question: Given technology advancement, would you suppose that .gov would implement receivers more sensitive than some hackers could demonstrate in 2005? Answer: Most assuredly!

Here's the way I see it shaking out. Very similar to how cell phone tracking, atm/cc tracking is used today, but much more powerful and ubiquitous.

Just as law enforcement can now conscript the use of cell phone towers to locate a cellphone; and even turn on a cell phone and secretly listen to conversations in vicinity of the phone...

Just as ATM's are now conscripted in real time to track down unauthorized card use...and the perp's photo from the ATM camera, gets broadcast within hours...

RFID readers in the commercial environment will be much more plentiful, net accessible, and conscriptable by .gov.

Ultimately, quite plausible that FBI, for example, could simply enter your name into the system, for what ever reason, and real-time hits would be produced as you passed by various sensors in the environment.

The huge difference being, arguably one can choose not to use a cellphone or ATM, if concerned about security (though this is becoming more difficult). When the technology is tied to an ID card that is NECESSARY for daily life (to conduct business, travel, access buildings, etc.) one doesn't really have a choice to opt out.

When the technology is tied to an ID card that is NECESSARY for daily life (to conduct business, travel, access buildings, etc.) one doesn't really have a choice to opt out.

And when that technology comes to be used by the private sector (as we have already seen with social security numbers) it opens the door to even more data security and privacy concerns.

there is pretty big effort to move computers and other devices to Trusted Computing platform. is also some Digital Rights Management in there as well.
it will keep the hackers at bay its another way for people to give up privacy for security who's security Corporations and Government.

not to hijack but treasury announced the other day Social Security Debit cards.

those states rejecting Real ID will feel a pinch when corporations require Real ID for business.

Could you point me to a few reputable links that would confirm what you just said?

To facilitate the frequent travel of U.S. citizens living in border communities and to meet DHS’s operational needs at land borders, the passport card will contain a vicinity-read radio frequency identification (RFID) chip. This chip will link the card to a stored record in secure government databases. There will be no personal information written to the RFID chip itself.
http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

Since August 2007, the U.S. has been issuing only e-passports.

The U.S. Electronic Passport (e-passport) is the same as a regular passport with the addition of a small contactless integrated circuit (computer chip) embedded in the back cover. The chip securely stores the same data visually displayed on the photo page of the passport, and additionally includes a digital photograph. The inclusion of the digital photograph enables biometric comparison, through the use of facial recognition technology, at international borders. The U.S. e-passport also has a new look, incorporating additional anti-fraud and security features.
http://travel.state.gov/passport/eppt/eppt_2498.html

And you think any new "Real ID" would be anything less???

Back