• I would ask for a Form 4

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I would inform authorities

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Just let them be

Votes: 91 95.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Go over and tell him noboby should have a gun like that, and that even if he has papers it still urinates you off, and offends you.:rolleyes:

to the two so far that answered call the cops....get a life, closet antigun posers.

Trouble here in Vegas is that NFA stuff is so common that you would spend all of your time asking for papers.:D

Seriously though, If someone that was not LEO asked for proof of legality I would tell them to drop dead. It's none of their buisness. I have never asked about the paperwork on all of the NFA stuff I have come across here. Nor would I. It's still none of my buisness.

I was not in the mood to tell them to pack sand, that day.

When you feel like it, come on down to Florida and tell them to pack sand. :)

Oddly enough, I have owned machineguns and suppressors for over 20 years and have never been asked by anyone (ATF, LEO or range owner) to see any of my forms.

Same here. I've owned machine guns since the mid-60's and only ONCE was I ever questioned about the status of a weapon. That was by someone, with his young son beside him, who very politely asked if the gun was legal because he always thought machine guns were illegal. I quickly explained about registration and transfer taxes and he said thank you, they look really neat. Can I shoot it one time? Of course I let him and gave his son some brass. Result? Two very happy .22 shooters left the range that day.

This said, if I saw someone with a MG I would either ignore him or comment on what a neat gun he had and how much fun mg's are to shoot, and let the conversation go where it may. It's none of my business as to whether it's registered or not.

The only things I've ever been asked about mine was if they could shoot it and how to go about owning one themselves after they shot it. I'll sometimes see a guy out at the range shooting his full-auto AK-47 and a P22 with a Gemtech Outback on it....I've never asked him about those and he's never asked me about my M16.

When you feel like it, come on down to Florida and tell them to pack sand.

No thanks. :)

I was surprised when the TSA inspector did not recognize the silencers in my gun case when he visually inspected them, but only did when the case went through the x-ray machine. I was equally surprised when the airport police asked if they were military weapons after showing them a retired ID card and if I had a license for them.

They had no idea what the ATF form 1's were, but as long as I showed them a document, it seemed to be ok with them. I wrote the TSA a few times about this but got no satisfaction.

Ranb

So are the two (so far) cop callers going to admit to how they voted and explain why? Or were they just jerking our chains? Why would anyone call the cops about something like this?

Ranb

So RAnb you had to go and ruin my day. Here I was feeling all warm and fuzzy about the fine job the TSA folks are doing, and you go and disillusion me about how careful and alert they are. Sounds about like the last time I flew and took my match M14 with me on the silver bird. They had absolutely no idea what they were looking at, just stared a minute abd closed the case and passed it on to the freight handlers. :p

Surprise! In the state of Florida, NFA items are illegal unless properly registered with ATF. Therefore a LEO may request to see proof of your documentation. You can show him at the range or ATF can show him at the station, while you and your NFA items are "detained".

Negative. You are only required to show your Form 4 to an ATF agent. If you are arrested (not detained), you have a really good case for a lawsuit for false arrest. In fact, you don't even have to show it to the judge if it goes as far as a trial. (And all of this comes from a retired Federal agent.)

My opinion of FL gun laws FWIW

I lived in FL for 3yrs. Near Jacksonville, ya'll, and 2 years in SW FL,near Ft. Myers. SW FL, the other Midwest. The gun laws in FL are a bit more liberal than IN. The range I use to go to was near Punta Gorda and the F&W folks were very polite and relaxed. Furthermore, if a person did something bone headed they would call a Conservation Officer. If you didn't police your brass and pick up your trash downrange you would here about it. In ~30-40 outings when I took my NFA toys I never had a word said. Except when I took my M-60E1. The range officer spent most of his time controlling the waiting line of the 20+ people waiting to play. I went through 1800rds of 7.62 that day!!! The Range Officer asked that next time I come, please call him at home first so that he could get there early and get his turn. LOL
Bottom Line, FL is pretty decent for Gun Rights. Slightly better than IN.

At the range I shoot at there are lots of folks shooting full-auto and with silencers. You've got to be kidding if you think I'm going to play BATFE agent and walk up and down the firing line inspecting people's paperwork!:rolleyes:

I've gotten complimented on mine, even had people ask how to go about buying them legally, I've told them they have to apply for the license from the ATF and pay for the stamp

Negative. You are only required to show your Form 4 to an ATF agent. If you are arrested (not detained), you have a really good case for a lawsuit for false arrest. In fact, you don't even have to show it to the judge if it goes as far as a trial. (And all of this comes from a retired Federal agent.)

You know, I would really like to hear from someone that has ACTUALLY done this and hear how it worked out. This comes from someone that thinks it is really a stupid way to handle an encounter with a LEO while walking around with a machinegun.

I'm just currious - who here voted for "inform the authorities"? Two folks did. Why not also call the authorities because when you see people with handguns shooting at a range? I mean, come on, let's be consistant.

Spoilers and lurkers

In every data sampling you anticipate certain outliers. That's why the 95% Distribution is 95% the 5% are the outliers and those who just want to be contrary for the sake of being contrary. BTW I have seen someone do this, ask for a Form 4. The guy with the suppressor just looked at the gentleman making the request and laughed. The requester continued to bug the guy with the suppressor. After the 3rd request the suppressor guy laughed from the gut as he told him to F*&^ Off. The observers all just went back to shooting....and snickered. The requester left....quietly.

If someone not in authority (range officer at private club for example) asked for my ATF forms (confidential tax forms), then I might respond that I will show my ATF form 1's if he shows me his latest 1040 income tax forms. That might teach the bastard a lesson in manners.

Ranb

I showed some guy the form 4 for my Uzi once. He looked at it and saw the model B SA serial number prefix. The ex-purt that he was he started spouting some crap about how it wasn't a proper submachinegun because of this that and the other. I got out the copy of the from 4 from my gun case and said "The ATF says it's a submachinegun, it fires full auto, it's a pre 86 conversion."

He didn't ask to see it, I showed it to him to shut him up.

Back