Question about handgun hunting

This is turning into an example of "You can't change a persons mind that is already made up."
Possibly but you could say they about everyone that has posted on the subject, and nearly every other subject that is posted on the forum.

I fully agree that hunting for survival is a completely different matter than sport hunting.

Sport hunting is about the experience, as well as the result. After the hunt, successful or not, you get to go eat.

Survival hunting, eating, or not is dependent on a successful hunt.

And wilderness survival means you are going to "run what you brung", no matter what that is.

the rifle calibre handguns are not what most people most people use for handgun hunting I would suggest.

In the US, by numbers, most people handgun hunting big game (deer & up) use "handgun" calibers equal in power (or even greater) to the standard light/medium deer rifles. The .44 Magnum is very popular for deer hunting, and even the .357 Magnum is still widely used, despite many people today saying its not enough.

if the state, via the game laws, says its enough, its enough. (and one still has to have the skill to use it within its practical limitations -which goes for everything as well)

So, I will agree that while they are not the numerical majority, there are a lot of people who hunt deer etc., with specialty handguns, often single shots, many firing "rifle" cartridges. I do it myself. With both regular and specialty class handguns.

I don't hunt (even small game) with small, personal defense class handguns, and indeed many places do not allow these kinds of guns, or their calibers to be used for big game.

Again, I am talking about sport hunting. Not survival.

What a firearm is capable of is not the only point, it can shoot 1 inch groups at 200 yards but the person shooting it might not be able to his a barn door at 20 yards.

PS If someone can consistently shoot a 3 inch group free hand at 100 yards they should be in the Olympics.
If I weren't capable, I wouldn't know the gun could do it and the words "free hand" were nowhere in my post.

One has to use a little common sense rather than making absurd assumptions in order to try and make a point

If I weren't capable, I wouldn't know the gun could do it and the words "free hand" were nowhere in my post.
What way are you getting consistently 3 inch groups at 100 yards bench rest etc.

Some people love it and are very good at it. I've never used a "dedicated handgun" (Contender, etc.) but almost carry a revolver in a crossdraw holster when rifle hunting. I like shooting game with it when they are within my self-limited distance. Almost never carry one exclusively because I know I will see a huge buck at 200yds. and I won't have a rifle. This doesn't bother some people, my brother carries his bow sometimes during gun season.

Funny to me that men who live in a different country are trying to enforce their belief on American people who simply know better. Are you Piers Morgan in disguise? :D You don't understand it, have no experience with it, don't participate in "sport Hunting", therefore see no explainable reason for it.

Last time I checked, what made America so great was the fact we had the ability to choose what suits us, without the drama of explaining why. It's called freedom. Something you foreigners don't quite grasp because you no longer have it.

Why don't you learn a bit instead of telling us to explain our position. We don't need to explain something 73 times to have you constantly dismiss it. Your cultured attitude reeks of arrogance, not knowledge. Take it for what it is. Some choose it for what it offers, how effective adequate handguns are for hunting. No further understanding needed. God Bless

What way are you getting consistently 3 inch groups at 100 yards bench rest etc.
Any good rest will work.
It doesn't have to be a "bench"

You obviously have no idea what people can do with a handgun since you can't do it yourself, and no one you know does it either

With a correct shooter, many "hunting handguns" are more than capable of killing a animal ethically at 100yds or more. I just dropped a sow hog 2 days ago with a 6" 629 .44mag at 105yds rested. I have no problem repeating it if you don't believe that.

Cant believe this is still going.
If your an ethical hunter you will use whatever tool you can quickly dispatch the intended game with. Many use Bow, I dont because I dont feel that my skill with a bow is adequate to quickly bring down a deer. With my pistol and loads I could easily hit an apple 5 out of 5 shots at 100yds. Im sure that many if not most handgun hunters can do the same or they shorten the distance to a point where they can. If my XVR wasnt scoped I would stay under 50yds.
Point is that everyone has limitations regardless of the platform. As an ethical hunter you should know your limitations long before you squeeze the trigger.

Funny to me that men who live in a different country are trying to enforce their belief on American people who simply know better. Are you Piers Morgan in disguise? You don't understand it, have no experience with it, don't participate in "sport Hunting", therefore see no explainable reason for it.

I do understand it and have done plenty of hunting, As for being Piers Morgan in disguise. I didn't know he had a view on handgun hunting, have you a link.?

Last time I checked, what made America so great was the fact we had the ability to choose what suits us, without the drama of explaining why. It's called freedom. Something you foreigners don't quite grasp because you no longer have it.
Do you not have rules and regulations in America regards hunting. ? And almost everything else you do from the cradle to the grave. your freedom to do whatever you want is an illusions.

Your cultured attitude reeks of arrogance,

I posted my view its sort of what a forum is for, did no one tell you. :rolleyes: As for a arrogant attitude you need look no further than your own post.

mantra49 states:
Do you not have rules and regulations in America regards hunting. ? And almost everything else you do from the cradle to the grave. your freedom to do whatever you want is an illusions.
"Big game hunting restrictions. Big game includes black bear, brown/grizzly bear, bison, caribou, Dall sheep, Sitka black-tailed deer, elk, mountain goat, moose, muskox, wolf, and wolverine.
In addition to general hunting restrictions listed on page 18, big game MAY NOT be taken by the following methods:
Hunting big game using a rimfire firearm, EXCEPT: you may use .22 caliber rimfire cartridges to take swimming caribou in Units 23 and 26."
Page 18 adds this restriction to cartridge firearms:
"Using a machine gun, set gun, or shotgun larger than 10 gauge."
2014 - 2015 Alaska Hunting Regulations No.55

In Alaska, with arguably the largest game animals on the continent, we can use/carry any chambering in a firearm minus rimfire (unless swimming caribou in a couple of units), full-auto machine guns, or larger than 10 gauge shotguns.

So legally one can go out Brown bear/Grizzly hunting with a .25 auto pocket derringer.

Are you saying that the Alaska Department of Fish and Game is wrong?

In my opinion you should use the best firearm to do the job as humanely as possible. A handgun is definitely not the best choice of firearm to do that.

Best? Keep 'em close, as in stalking, and they are all 'best'.

Otherwise is a .458 wm more 'humane' than a .243? Is your .270 ' best' or .338 'best'.

Here in Texas you can use a .25 auto to hunt deer.

Deaf

In Alaska, with arguably the largest game animals on the continent, we can use/carry any chambering in a firearm minus rimfire (unless swimming caribou in a couple of units), full-auto machine guns, or larger than 10 gauge shotguns.
So legally one can go out Brown bear/Grizzly hunting with a .25 auto pocket derringer.
Are you saying that the Alaska Department of Fish and Game is wrong?
My response was to the below post implying that Americans can do whatever they regarding hunting, that's why I asked are there no rules about hunting in America, obviously I know there are rules in America about hunting just like there is in most countries.
Quote:

Define "plenty".
Are you asking type of game, size of game, how long I hunted for. ? Remember the largest animal you can hunt in the UK are deer.

Here in Texas you can use a .25 auto to hunt deer.
Would you see that as suitable for deer. ?

What we are allowed bellow, and I am happy with that.

Northern Ireland

For Muntjac and Chinese Water deer only- a rifle with a minimum calibre of not less than .220 inches and muzzle energy of not less than 1000 foot pounds and a bullet weight of not less than 50 grains may be used.

For all deer of any species – a minimum calibre of .236 inches, a minimum bullet weight of 100 grains and minimum muzzle energy of 1,700 foot pounds is the legal requirement.
It must be stressed that all these figures are the minimum legal requirement For all deer stalking the bullet must be of a type designed to expand/deform on impact.

Last edited:
What we are allowed bellow, and I am happy with that.
And why are you happy with that?
You could be in Alaska legally hunting Brown Bear with a .25 auto pocket derringer; and only load one barrel if you felt so inclined.

Back