Procedure LEOs use to disarm during traffic stop

In Sweet Home Alabama, they look at you like a calf looking at a new gate, if you tell them you're NOT carrying.:D

I asked a good friend who is LEO about the responsible protocol for a CC traffic stop situation and I was told to quietly present your credentials and simply stay calm and do NOT make any quick movements or fidget with your hands. Hands in full sight keeps the situation diffused and at ease. Do exactly what you are told nothing more nothing less. LEO can quickly differentiate potentially illegal firearms encounters vs. lawful CC. Lawfull CC'ers are generally not a problem for LEO unless alcohol is involved. Hopefully i'm never put in this situation but if I am I have a basic understanding of what to expect and how to safely conduct myself.

In Arizona (an incredibly gun-friendly state!) you are required to tell LEO's if you are in possession of a firearm when stopped.

In Arizona (an incredibly gun-friendly state!) you are required to tell LEO's if you are in possession of a firearm when stopped.

Alaska too. Also, annoyingly, you have to inform private residence owners that you are carrying. For a constitutional carry state, very strange IMO.

jr24 said:
Also, annoyingly, you have to inform private residence owners that you are carrying. For a constitutional carry state, very strange IMO.
I thought Louisiana was the only state with that requirement.

What other states?

So Louisiana and Alaska have more restrictions on carrying in a private residence than Illinois does. No duty to inform, when stopped, unless asked by a LEO. No prohibition against church carry, unless posted.

You can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol, if not posted.

I know there are states with better carry laws than Illinois, but in some areas we are better.

Aguila Blanca said:
jr24 said:
Also, annoyingly, you have to inform private residence owners that you are carrying. For a constitutional carry state, very strange IMO.
I thought Louisiana was the only state with that requirement.

What other states?
Arkansas: Any licensee entering a private home shall notify the occupant that the licensee is carrying a concealed handgun. Ark. Code Ann. § 5-73-306 (West)

I see that Arkansas has churches on the "criminal protection zone" list. They also have duty to inform.

At about $140 their CCW license is almost as expensive as the Illinois license.

I live in NC and haven't been stopped more than three times in all the years I've lived here. It is fairly common to run into license/registration checkpoints in this state, though. Not once has an officer ever asked to take a gun I was carrying; most don't even ask where I'm carrying it, just "thanks for letting me know." I can't speak for Durham or Chapel Hill, but at least in normal areas of the state, that doesn't seem to be the MO.

junglebob said:
I see that Arkansas has churches on the "criminal protection zone" list. They also have duty to inform....
Yes, but it's really up to the individual church:

However, this subchapter does not preclude a church or other place of worship from determining who may carry a concealed handgun into the church or other place of worship;.... Ark. Code Ann. § 5-73-306 (West)

SpatsMcGee, So is Arkansas like Ohio you can carry in a church if given specific permission? So after jumping through the hoops to get your carry "permission slip" you also have to get a permission slip from the church to carry there.

Does anyone herefrom either Arkansas or Ohio have a "permission slip" to carry in their church.

I could see my pastor giving out a permission slip for church carry, but then he was in the Marines and likes the idea of people being armed in church.

Last edited:
junglebob, I don't really know what OH law says, so I can't say if AR is similar. That said, yes, if given specific permission from your church, you can CC there. Otherwise, it's prohibited. I don't know of anyone who has asked for permission from their church. I haven't asked around. That said, my church made a top-down, state-level decision that CC wasn't going to be allowed by anyone except police. :mad: I haven't darkened its door since.

SpatsMcgee, Sorry to hear that your church's denomination made a top down decision to prohibit carry except for police. What denomination is you church in? I don't like it when the state makes the decision to not allow carry in all churches, nor when a denomination makes the decision for all churches in their state. There were those who wanted churches to be on the list of CPZs in Illinois. However there was an incident in a church here in Southern Illinois where a woman, Mary Shepard, who had two non-resident carry licenses was almost beaten to death in her church, where she worked. She was part of a lawsuit brought against the state of Illinois because she was unable to exercise her second amendment rights. Because of this we have a shall issue carry law.

I think that the decision to allow or not allow carry in a church should be made at the local level. My pastor got a call from another pastor in one of the churches in our small denomination asking advice about open carry in his church. He had a man who would come to church open carrying. I assume it was from a state that allows open carry without a license. Since Illinois isn't an open carry state my pastor said he hasn't had any experience with it.

Last edited:
It may interest folks here to know that in February 2014, at the age of 74, Mary Shepard received her Illinois Firearm Concealed Carry License. She was one of the first or maybe the first to get it. She fought the state of Illinois and won.

Last edited:
I was wanting to quote DeafSmiths post #24 but can't figure out how to do so. He mentioned "northern states like NYC and New Jersey as places you might be proned out and disarmed.

I posted this topic on another forum and actually got a couple of responses from folks who'd been disarmed during a traffic stop. One guy said he'd been disarmed several times in New York State during traffic stops, and was asked to step out of the vehicle and then the LEO removed his handgun.

Another guy mentioned that in Detroit it is SOP for the LEO to remove the gun. He said one LEO couldn't figure out how to get it out of his holster so he had to do it. He also said one LEO unloaded his 1911 while pointing it at his (the LEOs) chest.

So much for taking the gun for "officer safety". Sounds like that LEO is in line for a Darwin award. Pitty the guy whose gun he uses to kill him self. I imagine he will be facing murder charges.

So how do you quote someone on this forum? I'm computer challenged.

junglebob said:
I was wanting to quote DeafSmiths post #24 but can't figure out how to do so.... So how do you quote someone on this forum? I'm computer challenged.
Let's not clutter up a perfectly good thread with answers. I'll PM you, junglebob.

I saw a link in a post on another forum where they were talking about another subject "traveling through Illinois". Someone posted a link to an article in the Daily Caller "What Police Want From Concealed Carriers During a Traffic Stop" dated 7/23/16. KZLY TV , Spokane, quoted a Chief Bennett as saying it was common procedure to disarm a CC during a traffic stop. So it seems to be a more common thing in the North West and the East. No mention of it in Illinois in anything I've read. We now have almost a quarter of a million CC license holders, BTW.

(what happened to the quote button?)
Now in Texas we recognize ALL CCW permits from ANY state. See he difference?
Texas does not recognize my MN permit. However, they do recognize my right to have a gun in my car while travelling thru the state. (not sure at the moment whether it's supposed to be concealed or visible, or if it matters)
For a while Harris County ignored the law, but the legislature cleaned up the wording or something and I've been told that's no longer a problem.

Originally posted by peggysue
In Iowa if stopped they already know you have a CCW when they look up your licence. They don't even ask. Just issue the ticked for the traffic offence.

This needs some further insight. The Iowa State Patrol says there is no state database for permits and afaik, they are not linked to a vehicle owner or driver license.

Back