Procedure LEOs use to disarm during traffic stop

Ahh the Texan bias against the north. Can't recall how many times I had to explain to my ex GFs damily and friends that an upper midwesterner ain't no Yankee.

Then I'd usually drink them under the table.

That said, my only LEO encounter carrying in WI (never had one when I lived in AK), I gave the officer my drivers license and CCW license and informed her I was carrying.

Her response was "thanks for letting me know" and that was it. Granted this was in the northwoods, not a place like Madison or Milwaukee.

Well that means if they are a-packing it's a felony here in Texas. Bet they get kind of disarmed, right? Think they will prone them?
If they have their gun concealed in their vehicle and are not committing any crime above a traffic offense then it's legal for them to have a handgun without a permit and they shouldn't have any troubles.

If they are caught carrying on their person without a license, or with a license that isn't honored in TX, I would expect them to be treated pretty reasonably as long as they behaved reasonably themselves. And dependent on the circumstances. They would certainly be disarmed, but I wouldn't expect for the automatic response to be to put them on the ground unless they didn't seem cooperative.

I live in northern Illinois about 10 miles from the WI border, but not by Chicago.

I have been stopped once for speeding while carrying. I informed the officer I was armed and had my permit. Only because I had to reach in my glove compartment for my insurance card.

Officer said no big deal, what are you carrying?

As K Mak mentioned in his post, there is a difference between Northern and Southern Illinois. In the book "9 nations of North America" Southern Illinois is listed as being in "Dixie".

It may be of interest to know that when Judge Posner ruled in Moore vs. Madison that the state of Illinois had 6 months to pass a concealed carry law that in June 2013 before the carry law passed that the Madison County prosecutor (in Southern Illinois near St. Louis) said he would no longer enforce the no-carry law in Illinois. The states attorney did say Illinois residents did need a valid Firearm Owner ID card to carry there, and out of state residents needed a valid LTC from their own state.

Before the carry law passed the Illinois sheriff's Association came out in favor of a carry law, every sheriff except from one county was in favor. That sheriff was from Cook County where Chicago is. So those in other counties, even north of Interstate 80 were in favor of it.

I'll relate a story that may illustrate how Southern Illinois is different from the
Chicago area. I was in my bank one day before the first LTC was issued in Illinois, making a deposit. Behind me at a customer service desk a woman was seated apparently discussing something about her account. Apparently she needed to get some ID out of her purse. I hear the customer service rep say "Is that thing loaded?" I assume she had a handgun in her purse. She completed her business and walked out before me. No one called 911 as far as I know of. There was a rumor that the prosecutor in a neighboring county wouldn't charge a woman carrying for her own protection, this was well before the ruling against the no-carry law.

Last edited:
In Northern states they make make you get out, turn your back toward them with hands up, walk backwards, then stop, kneel, and then lay prone. Or they may just tackle you and cuff you with their knee in your back. They don't need much of an excuse to do that. Just saying you have a gun is enough for many of them to go full Gestapo.
It is interesting that someone from a Southern state (Texas), claims (see above quote) to know how police act towards CCW holders in all the Northern states.
Here in Michigan, I have been stopped at least three times over the years since the state passed the CCW law. Each time as per Michigan law, I told the officer that I was a CCW holder and was armed. Each time, I handed the officer my CCW permit with my driver's license. Nothing more was said about the gun with the exception of one officer asked where I was carrying the gun...and I told him, "In my right hand pants pocket." Other than that, the subject of the gun was moot. I was never asked to get out of the car, surrender my gun, etc.

Carry and Canada

I carry, and I travel to Canada often.
Of course I leave my carry behind when I travel North of the Maple Curtain.

I got so annoyed at the third degree from the Canadian border authorities every trip I applied for and received the NEXUS card for crossing the border.

It seems their computer system "knows" I have CC permits. 2 in fact. Every trip without fail turned in to questions about guns. Oh and full searches of my vehicle....at least a half hour holdup, usually longer.
In some cases it was painfully clear that the border dude was interjecting his own opinions about guns in to his duties. Questions like, Sir just how many guns do you have? Uhh... none of your Fing business says the little voice in my head. Instead I answered with I was not sure of the number. I so wanted to give this smug little POS a verbal beat down......but did not have the rest of the day to waste while his cohorts tore apart my car.

Lots of anti gun folks up there. Some work for the border patrol.

The purpose of an officer to request you hand him your firearm is for his own protection, given the many shootings of officers on their job from an auto pull-overs.

If your state's carry laws are reciprocal in other states, it only for the violation you might have incurred. Always follow the officer's commands in a stop!!!! If you are a felon with a gun, the officer sometimes becomes a victim of a criminal vehicle stop!

If you want to debate with an officer wait until the trial. If he has issues they become your issues as long as he is in control. Roll with it.

Exactly right

Just like my little adventure above with the border patrol personnel.
As I said I was about one hairs breadth from going off on him, not just the questions, but the obvious attitude that came with them.

Real bad time to argue is when you can not win the argument. Not only that the pavement is hard, my clothes are nice, and I much prefer to not be forcibly disarmed.

Right or wrong, you still loose. Or....Discretion is the better part of valor.

The easiest way to avoid problems at those non-border highway stops is a sign that you hold up to the window that states"

I invoke my fourth and fifth amendment rights.
I do not submit to unwarranted searches.
I will remain silent so as not to incriminate myself of any infractions.

I don't need that sign any more but it always worked.

The sign worked every time at the road check points that they put up 100 miles from the border. It won't work when actually crossing a border but I got tired of the DHS stops.
I talked to my lawyer and he told me to make a sign and stay quiet. That is what I did. As soon as they saw the sign they would try to talk to me and then wave me through. As long as you don't say anything they have no cause to search or detain. If you say ANYTHING they might find probable cause.

I'm still awaiting my permit to come back from the State. Louisiana at the time I submitted mine was 'backed up' about 130 days. We are an open carry state without a permit, and your vehicle is considered an extension of your home.

I often carry a weapon in the vehicle to and from work, usually easily accessible. I figure you don't need it, until you do.

I was told when I took my (required) concealed carry class that Louisiana State Law requires you to produce your permit EVERY time you are asked for ID from a LEO, and that they're legally authorized to disarm you (though usually they don't). If they do disarm you, the procedure is to return the weapon to the passenger side door pocket (or similar) just before they let you go. You're supposed to pull off the road down the road to re-arm yourself.
It wasn't real clear what the actual procedure was when they disarmed you. The few LEOs that I have talked to have stated that they feel less threatened by someone holding a permit that openly admits to being armed (on average).

Exco

Here in Illinois they are supposed to issue your CCW in 90 days if you submit prints or 120 if you don't. Does your state require prints? In Illinois there is no penalty if the state doesn't issue in the proscribed time frame however. About 3 years ago when I got mine they issued it in about 60 days. I submitted it with prints. Some people have gotten it in 45 days, or even less, seems to depend on the number of applications. We are a shall issue state, BTW.

Here in Illinois they are supposed to issue your CCW in 90 days if you submit prints or 120 if you don't. Does your state require prints? In Illinois there is no penalty if the state doesn't issue in the proscribed time frame however. About 3 years ago when I got mine they issued it in about 60 days. I submitted it with prints. Some people have gotten it in 45 days, or even less, seems to depend on the number of applications. We are a shall issue state, BTW.

Yes, they require prints, they're just so backed up that it's taking awhile to process everything.

From everything that I have read, it's due to the budget. They claim that they can't justify the OT to process the permit applications, when the officers are needed for other things. Even the LA State Police website says that they're currently at about 120 days, sometimes longer to process. I have heard of several people where it took 9 months, and even one where it was 10 months.

Exco

Excoastie, I thought maybe your state was one that charged a nominal fee for their CCW like Pa that charges $20. Checking I see that the La CCW costs $120, almost as bad as Illinois ($150). Even though our state is broke we are getting a little faster service.

I had a non-resident CCW from Pa years before Illinois started issuing. It was nice for traveling. At the time you could apply by mail from the Centre County Sheriff's Department. No prints were needed, but they issued in about 10 days including mailing both ways. Now you have to go in person, but they usually can issue to you the same day. I guess this says something about the efficiency of doing things locally. In Illinois however if the sheriffs issued there would be a lot of people in Chicago's Cook County that would probably wait for years to get theirs issued.

You should ask your legislators way you pay 6 times as much as someone in Pa but they get their CCW about 120 times faster.

I just watched a youtube video titled Fl Deputy Threatens to Shoot Concealed Carry Licensee and Arrests Him for Lawfully Carried Handgun.

I find it interesting that this cop from a southern state which has had concealed carry for a long time would go, as Deaf Smith terms it, "Gestopo" on a legally armed citizen and prone him out on the pavement and handcuff him.

Haven't seen't a video of this happening to any Illinois CCW license holder and going viral. In Illinois our carry law states that your handgun must be concealed or "mostly concealed" it said that when passed. Glad to hear Florida amended their law so that incident isn't so likely to happen again.

If you want to debate with an officer wait until the trial. If he has issues they become your issues as long as he is in control. Roll with it.
Yup, trials happen in court, not by the side of the road. If you want to argue your case, do it in front of a judge, not in front of a cop.

Back