"Primitive Weapon Rifle"

Stats Shooter

I am looking to get a single shot "primitive Weapon" Rifle for the primitive Weapon season here in Mississippi. Here's the law verbatim:

Primitive firearms, for the purpose of hunting deer, are defined as single or double barreled muzzle-loading rifles of at least .38 caliber; OR single shot, breech loading, metallic cartridge rifles (.35 caliber or larger) and replicas, reproductions, or reintroductions of those type rifles with an exposed hammer; OR single or double barreled muzzle-loading shotguns, with single ball or slug. All muzzle-loading primitive firearms must use black powder or a black powder substitute with percussion caps, #209 shotgun primers, or flintlock ignition.

Also, I asked for clarification on the law and the .44 mag rifles and .357 mag are acceptable under the law.
I'm not interested in muzzleloader, or shotgun slugs.

I was thinking 45/70, 44 mag, 444 Marlin, or .358 win? I am going to use open sights and want about a 20-22" barrel. Typically, shots will be less than 125 yards.

Any other suggestions? I am a hand loader so rarity of the ammo isn't a big issue and 50 pieces of brass would last probably forever. .44 mag/.357 would be convenient because I already have the dies. But I kinda want a "classic" cartridge. Unfortunately, 30/30 isn't an option

I would use my trapdoor carbine and a 45-55-405 load with round nose lead bullet and 2F powder. That duplicates the issue load for the carbine.

H&R

Many folks who are taking advantage of the loose MS "primitive rifle" definition hunt an H&R single shot, in any of the calibers you mention, excluding .358. I still see these rifles used in various shops now and then. In the H&R, I'd opt for the .44 mag. The H&R single shots are light rifles, recoil will be pretty stiff in full power loads like the the .35 Whelen , the .444 and some 45-70 loads. I don't think you'll find a production single shot .358.

Another option would be the T/C Contender or Encore. Exposed hammer meets the requirements, barrels can be anything you are willing to pay for (16"+ for legal rifle length).

An added advantage is the ability to use the same gun with a different barrel in a different caliber (like .30-30) during the regular season.

I think this would qualify as "single shot, breech loading, metallic cartridge rifles (.35 caliber or larger) and replicas, reproductions, or reintroductions of those type rifles with an exposed hammer".

https://www.tcarms.com/firearms/int.../encore-pro-hunter/encore-pro-hunter-katahdin

Or you could put something together in a caliber that qualifies here:

https://www.tcarms.com/firearms/interchangeable-platforms/encore-pro-hunter/platform#barrels

Looks like 44AMP and I were posting at the same time... :D

I'd look for a single-shot in .35 Whelen or .444 Marlin.
(I'm not a fan of .45-70. The excessively large rim and thin case walls irritate me.)

For the popular H&R Handi-Rifles, .35 Whelen is said to be pretty brutal, but I've never fired one. Even in 8+ lb bolt actions (like my own), it can be an unpleasant cartridge to shoot. I, personally, would lean away from it in a light single-shot. Even though there is a difference between the two cartridges, I lump .358 Win in there, too. .358 Win is a very 'snappy' cartridge to shoot, and I have found it to also be unpleasant in light rifles. (Like having a .357 Mag attached to your forehead when fired...)

I do, however, have a Handi-Rifle in .444 Marlin. While no .22 LR, it is far from punishing. It is actually the most tolerable and comfortable .444 Marlin I have ever fired (I currently have four 444s, including a 9.5 lb custom Marlin with stocks shaped to fit me; and have had more).
Everyone that has ever fired that 6 lb 3 oz 444 H&R with standard loads has had a response along the lines of, "Oh... that's not bad at all!"
It's pretty surprising, considering the terrible ergonomics, light weight, and the Handi-Rifle's reputation for brutal recoil even with 'tame' cartridges.

But, of course, the H&Rs are only found on the used racks, now.
CVA and T/C have offered 'Mississippi-eligible' options as well.
I wouldn't be surprised if Savage offers the Stevens 301 in rifle 'calibers' soon.
And, the Henry .44 Mag and .45-70 single-shots should be shipping in a few weeks.

35 Whelen is said to be pretty brutal, but I've never fired one

The H&R single shots are light rifles, recoil will be pretty stiff in full power loads like the the .35 Whelen , the .444 and some 45-70 loads

This is one of the things that concerns me about light single shot rifles. I'm not recoil Sensitive at all. But why beat the Dickens out of myself for white tail deer at less than 150 yards right?

The .44 mag at rifle velocities should be good to go out to 125-150. The recoil on it won't be bad, and as I said, I already have dies and brass

Also, what about the CVA rifles?

I wouldn't over complicate things. At 100-120 yards a 44 mag does everything the bigger cartridges do on anything you'll hunt in Mississippi.

There is an H&R 45-70 for sale right now on the Bullnettlenews forum (MS hunting/fishing forum). The 45-70 is another caliber used a lot in our "primitive weapon" season.

I'd lean towards a Thompson Contender with a 45 Colt/ 410 barrel. Good for snakes or the occasional grouse on the way to the stand, deer from the stand.

It seems to me like a Ruger No 1 in .375 Holland and Holland (which can be downloaded to somewhat reasonable levels) fits the technical definition. Am I missing something?

The recoil caveat not withstanding of course.

It seems to me like a Ruger No 1 in .375 Holland and Holland (which can be downloaded to somewhat reasonable levels) fits the technical definition. Am I missing something?

My brother has a .375 HH, recoil is stiff on a browning xbolt. Not awful, but stiff. Also, I'm not trying to spend $1275 on a unique season rifle. Most other states require an actual muzzleloader during primitive rifle season. So if I move or something, it becomes just a single shot rifle I wouldn't use because I already have model 70's, Browning A-bolts and and many more that are repeaters.

It isn't a bad idea, just not exactly what I am after.

The Henry's are interesting though, the new break-action single shots.

Last edited:

Doesn't qualify. Must have an external hammer to qualify for MS (and LA) primitive weapon season.

An added advantage is the ability to use the same gun with a different barrel in a different caliber (like .30-30) during the regular season.
I'd definitely go with the TC and your cartridge options open up dramatically.

Ahhhh those requirements just scream Springfield trap door. 50-70 (bottom) or 45-70 (top)

trapdoors.jpg

I would just get the .38-55 out of the closet, put the sporting sights back on instead of Soule and globe target sights, load up some flatpointed bullets, and head out.

Back