Prefered elk cartridge for a 300 yard shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any of the cartridges you mention would be fine. I use the .300 Wby mag. with a 180 gr AB Weatherby load for elk. I've not had one go more than a 100 yards yet with most taking only a few steps before tipping over. It has 800 foot pounds more energy at 300 yards than the 30-06 with a 180 gr with a MV of 2,820fps (Superformance). Important if that big bull happens to move slightly as you pull the trigger or you have a less than perfect angle. It's also flatter shooting and mine shoots sub MOA of a back pack. Using a gun like a Accumark the recoil is not bad at all due to the weight of the gun with scope. A good sling and a good back pack like an Eberlestock with built in scabbard makes hauling around a heavier rifle in elk country much easier.

I would have to mention the above reasons Worc mentioned. As the saying goes you can't kill anything deader than dead. Personally I would rather have a larger caliber gun just for the added insurance as well as range with the rifle. As long as you can comfortably shoot the .300 Wby mag. then that would be my go to and you absolutely need hearing protection when shooting that gun and even more critically if you have a brake installed on it. One shot with a break and no protection you can burst your eardrums

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It's funny that yall commented on this thread today. I picked up a box of hornady 180 grain interlocks this evening. I know it's a soft bullet but at 300 yards it should be perfect for the velocity of the 300 weatherby. I also picked up a couple boxes of hornady 200 grain sst's for the 338wm.

There is no bullet that can be shot from any shoulder fired rifle that will drop an elk on the spot every time. There are some places you can shoot an elk that will drop it on the spot every time, and you can do it with almost any cartridge, but those targets are small and not suitable for 300 yard shots.

You can't solve the problem with a new rifle. You can't ask him to hit the brain or spine from 300 yards. You could get closer and "spine" it first and then walk up and kill it, but apparently his "spot" is somehow more important than solving the problem you have. You have a problem.

It seems to me that having an animal run a short distance in the few seconds between a killing shot and becoming unconscious is a fact of hunting life. If it was my FIL I would set up to haul the animal better and go hunting. Money spent on that would be more helpful. It would feel pretty futile to be hauling the elk out of the same spot while the FIL watched holding his new expensive gun.

And I have to ask. Does he have no understanding of just how inconsiderate and self centered his demands on his hunting partners are? I would consider explaining the issue in clear terms, FIL or not. The issue here is stubborn selfishness more than a cartridge question.

It really sounds like you have a good understanding of the problem and solution after reading through the complete thread.

You already know this, but you are looking for a hardware solution to a software problem.

The 30-06 is completely adequate for elk at 300 yards with any premium bullet. No other reasonable caliber will be guaranteed to anchor an elk at that distance with that shot.

I really don't feel changing caliber is the solution. Of course it is not my family, but my brother and I have had a similar issue. He continues to make his choice and I choose not to bust my butt afterwards. A lot of work to recover his animal may have him re-think his solution. It is easy not to change if you have no repercussions from your choice. A little "skin in the game" may make him re-think his shot.

Coming late into the conversation and I know there are other elk hunters with more experience than I have. I've shot elk with the .300 Win. Mag., 30-06 and .35 Whelen.
The .300 mag. was a one shot DRT shooting a 200 gr. Speer Hot Core at nearly 2900 FPS.
The 30-06 was again a one shot kill shooting a 165 gr. Nobler Accubond at2900 FPS. Elk ran about 30 feet and died.
The.35 Whelen took four elk and distances of 150 to 350 yards using the 225 gr. Barnes TSX at 2700 FPS. Two of the shots including the 350 yard shot were DRT. The other two were hit a bit too far back as they trotted away from me. Both were instants stops at impact and required a finisher. Bad shooting on my part. My point is maybe some of those old timers had something when they used rifles with a bigger bore. FWIW, the two that needed that second shot were at 240 and 275 yards. Maybe old Elmer Keith had something on the ball when it comes to hunting elk. ;)
Dunno if I'll ever do another elk hunt. My wife had a stroke so I had to cancel my hunt for this year. I'm 77 years old coming on 78 shortly. If the good Lord sees fit to allow me another hunt, It'll be the Whelen that goes with me.
Recoil isn't much worse than the 06 with a stiff 180 gr. load as compared in my two rifles, both in Remington M700 Classic style. The only change made is both have Pachmeyr Decelerator recoil pads.
Just my humble two cents worth.
Paul B.

Crossed fingers for you, Paul.

Looks like there's more than enough good advice and commentary in this thread. Leave some for the next fella. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back