Practical question about concealed carry

willr said:
We all know that carry in a Post Office is prohibited. But just learned that the interpretation includes the PO PARKING LOT!!! So it is apparently illegal to have a firearm even in your car in the parking lot. What does one do if he has his pistol in the car and discovers after leaving home that he needs to go to the PO? The inversions in all of this is just crazy.
Post offices are a special animal, because carry/possession in a post office and on USPS property is NOT governed by 18 USC 930, which is the general federal law covering firearms "in" federal facilities. The USPS has a separate section of federal law that applies only to postal facilities, and that law does include the parking lots.

So what do you do if you have to stop at a post office? If you want to be legal, you park somewhere other than in the post office parking lot, and you walk a bit farther than you would if you didn't have a GUN! :eek: with you.

I have been informed that the Veterans Administration has a similar law that applies only to VA facilities, but I can't find it. The VA hospital I go to has signs at the driveway entrances saying no weapons allowed on the property, but those signs cite 18 USC 930, and 18 USC 930 specifically defines "federal facility" as a building "in" which federal employees are regularly working. So, technically, the VA can't use 18 USC 930 to ban weapons from vehicles in the parking lots -- but I can't afford to become the test case. (And especially not if there's another law out there that covers the situation. But, if there is ... shouldn't the VA be citing the correct law, rather than one that applies only to inside the buildings?)

Back