practical purpose for .38 spl guns gone....

I would ask the question the other way. Is there any practical purpose for .357 snub nose revolvers weighing less than about 20 ounces? The SP101 weights in at 26+ ounces and from my experience is the absolute lightest most* people can begin to proficiently shoot .357 rounds out of with any hope for a follow up shot.

*most is probably an overstatement - even in the SP101 proficiency with .357 rounds (and I don't mean the bottom of the chart 357 rounds) seems suspect

I would ask the question the other way. Is there any practical purpose for .357 snub nose revolvers weighing less than about 20 ounces? The SP101 weights in at 26+ ounces and from my experience is the absolute lightest most* people can begin to proficiently shoot .357 rounds out of with any hope for a follow up shot.

I had an ScTi S&W 357 mag. The 360 PD, while painful to shoot it would not stand up to a steady diet of magnums. After 300 rounds it went out of time, I sent it in and they replaced the cylinder and the frame. After 100 rounds same thing, got it back and another 100 rounds...... I sent it back again..... Actually talked to an engineer, Oh... They are not designed to shoot magnums........ I sold my rebuilt revolver with full disclosure and bought another 640.

Follow up shots are not my problem. I don't worry about what any other shooter can or can't do, other than keep trying to get better.

For the record I can find new 360J (38 special only) for under $500. Should they cost less to produce? I wouldn't think so

The SP101 weights in at 26+ ounces and from my experience is the absolute lightest most* people can begin to proficiently shoot .357 rounds out of with any hope for a follow up shot.

Here is a youtube video showing the amount of recoil out of an 18 ounce LCR ahooting Buffalobore .357 180 grain Outdoorsman, one of the hottest commercial .357 loads on the market. Please notice the lack of fireball that so many people claim. The recoil is stout but manageable.
I'm shooting slow fire for demonstration purposes and was more tentative on the very first shot because of all the hoopla about how nasty this round was, but more in control on the second shot after I realized it was fine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoB8hQUa7ZY&feature=youtu.be
================================

As a comparison, watch the amount of muzzle rise with Jeff Quinn shooting 10mm out of a very heavy Ruger Blackhawk in 10mm with a long barrel. If you check the BB website, the loads between the 10mm and the .357 are fairly comprable. HEAVY 10MM OUTDOORSMAN - 220 gr. Hard Cast - FN
(1,200 fps/ME 703 ft. lbs.) and out of my LCR, the 180 grain was 1250 fps for 625 ME

I don't find anyone posting critical comments about using a 10mm Ruger Blackhawk for woods carry because of excessive muzzle rise for followup shots!
attachment.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMpb3dSv1R4

Attachments

• Quinn 10mm.JPG
    Quinn 10mm.JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 2,173
While I appreciate the recoil comparison I am not certain a Blackhawk is a meaningful comparison to the J frame sized .38 / .357. Entirely different uses. Could be I am recoil sensitive but I shudder when I think about lighting off more than a round or two of .357 in an ultrailight gun just for kicks.

you can load any .357 with the lower powered .38 spl so why have a .38 spl version of the very same .357 magnum gun?

One reason is the buildup of debris in the .357 cyclinder compared to the .38 Spl. Another, although you stated snubbies and although others have not found the same to be true in their experience, in my K-38's (yes plural, I have two), shooting .38 Special cases in my .357 Magnums with very light loads, the shorter .38's did not produce as good accuracy as the longer .357 cases. Therefore, although I can shoot .38's in my .357's, I do not.

I'm not sure if it makes a difference to the discussion. I would not hesitate to buy a 38 special scandium framed revolver USED. I would be very hesitant to buy a 357 one used.

Last edited:
From the OP.

why the 64 when there is the 65?

why the 642 when there is the 340?

I have a model 65 that i carried loaded with full power 357 loads and decided to shoot them off at a friends house since everyone else was shooting. I had forgotten what a blaster full power 357s were.

When I loaded that gun back up I put 38 specials in it. Not the weaker +P stuff but the Real 38 special loads like were available before 38+P was the fad. That was much better and should work just fine for my uses. I would be just fine with it if that model 65 were a model 64 instead.

I have a 442 no lock and a 637 and 38s are good enough for those. If I want to shoot a 357 from a snub I have a nice SP-101.

I will buy any 38 Special only gun I run across if the price is right. I wish I could find a decent model 10 with skinny 4" barrel or another model 15. The model 15 may be the best 38 Special ever made.

Because people buy 'em. Simple as that.

Yeah that pretty much sums it up. I bought a 38 Spcl. 642 and never wished it was a 357 MAG. I have no desire to own or fire any "airweight" with 357 loads.

I have fired thousands of 357 rounds through the years but the lightest gun being an all steel K-Frame Smith 66 snub.

Just my oplnlon but I think with the new offerings in ammunition that the 38spl. Is practical more than ever and even more so in +p.

I’ve carried a steel 38 special snobby for over 30 years and I’m dammm accurate with it..
No sights, custom made shoulder holster.. I can skin that thing faster than a raped rattlesnake. Enough of this SA questions. And this one from a Senior member with over 2,000 posts. Is he just joshin’ us?

A better question is why is there a lightweight .357?
Only a few will actually practice with it..unless of course they are into pain.
As other have said practicing with 38 cal. but loading .357 for carry is ridiculous.
One shot and you will realize how stupid of an idea that was.

People like 38 special. People buy 38 special, so people make 38 special. I have learned over the years that folks have their reasons for buying what they buy. If I agree or I disagree it doesn't matter because they have their reasons and I don't worry or concern myself with it.

I think Jerrys deserves some credit for keeping his cool, remaining polite, and restating (again and again) the gist of his original post. I also think the first four or five posts pretty much nailed it.

Back