Pistols vs revolvers?

Both types have advantages and disadvantages and there really isn't one type that is overall "better" than the other; it depends on the person using the gun and the purpose for which it is used. Because my main interest in handguns if self-defense, I tend to look at the advantages and disadvantages from that perspective.

Advantages of a DA Revolver:
Less sensitive to ammunition specifically ammunition of varying power levels
Consistent trigger pull which is generally smoother than that of a DA auto
Can be fired repeatedly at contact distance without risk of being pushed out of battery
Shrouded or enclosed hammer models can be fired repeatedly from under or within a garment
Nearly immune to malfunctions induced by a weak or improper grip: if you have enough strength to pull the trigger, you can fire the gun
No magazine to be lost or damaged
More easily and quickly loaded with loose cartridges
Misfires are generally remedied by simply pulling the trigger again
Can be left fully loaded with all or most of its springs at rest
Less sensitive to cleaning and lubrication thus more tolerant of neglect
More widely available in powerful magnum cartridges
Available with better size-to-power ratios than most semi-autos
Generally have more rounded contours which many people find more concealable
More tolerant of miniaturization in regards to reliability
Simpler manual of arms is easier for novice or casual shooters to understand
No need to disassemble/reassemble the gun for routine cleaning and maintenance
More consistent manual of arms between different makes and models
Wider variety of aftermarket grip sizes and shapes due to the gripframe not being constrained by the size and shape of a magazine
Generally more accurate than the majority of locked-breech semi-autos

Advantages of a Semi-Automatic
Higher capacity
Faster and easier to reload if pre-loaded magazines are available
Generally slimmer which many people find easier and more convenient to carry and conceal
Better power-to-recoil ratio
Wider selection of makes/models to choose from
Lower price for comparable quality and condition
Available with SAO triggers which some people find easier to master
Fewer entrances for debris make it more tolerant of outright abuse
Easier to affix a light and/or laser
Better availability of aftermarket parts and accessories
Spare magazines are generally easier and more convenient to carry than speedloaders and moonclips while easier to use than speed strips or loose cartridges

Notice that I did not give an overall reliability advantage to either type. This is because which type is more reliable depends on the circumstances. If you're going to be using the gun in extremely harsh or dirty conditions, then the semi-automatic with its fewer, larger moving parts and more closed design will probably be more reliable. However, if you're going to leave the gun loaded for long periods of time without cleaning, lubricating, or otherwise maintaining it, particularly if you're not loading it with premium ammunition, then the revolver is more likely to be the most reliable option.

But your uninformed sarcasm on this and other subjects in other threads is starting to wear on me.

Ha gotta love the new members with a chip on their shoulder here to educate us all...

I find it entertaining myself. Guessing this threads about locked.

example: an AR-15 is not any one specific gun,...

Actually, I believe an AR-15 is a specific gun...

and a 1911 is a specific gun, as is a 1911A1, and so is a Colt Govt Model....

I don't think calling a style or pattern of gun a "platform" is accurate, unless you are a high speed, low drag operator....

Which, I'm not...

44 AMP said:
Actually, I believe an AR-15 is a specific gun...
You know what I mean; AR-15s come in many different configurations from many different manufacturers and the same is true with 1911s. But a gun like a Glock 19 is one gun made by one manufacturer. And despite whether or not you like the term "platform", I think we can all agree no one uses it to be politically correct.

i think all pistols are freakin awesome
dont see the point in arguing semantics, shoot what you like and practice alot and they will all get the job done

i need to see evidence of a situation where someone was in SD situation with a revolver and ended with loss of life or limb because his gun jammed or didnt have enough ammo, no police stories please

show me a story where five shots wasnt enough

not trying to be a smartass, if there are cases of this, i will think twice about grabbing my snubbie over my nine when i leave the house

pis·tol [ píst'l ] small gun: a small short-barreled gun designed to be held in one hand

hand·gun [ hánd gùn ] gun held in one hand: a gun that can be held and fired in one hand

they look interchangeable to me

Theohazard, I agree with what you last posted and apparently you have the capacity to understand what I meant by the term. I respect your intelligence. In the world of forums I've found that there's always going to be "that" guy....

SansSouci, by "platform" I did not mean a sturdy or raised landing (landing in this context may be too advanced as well), platform was the word chosen to loosely describe the two different styles of firearms being discussed.

You'll get it one day....

i think all pistols are freakin awesome

dont see the point in arguing semantics, shoot what you like and practice alot and they will all get the job done

i need to see evidence of a situation where someone was in SD situation with a revolver and ended with loss of life or limb because his gun jammed or didnt have enough ammo, no police stories please

show me a story where five shots wasnt enough

not trying to be a smartass, if there are cases of this, i will think twice about grabbing my snubbie over my nine when i leave the house

You may be correct. Maybe five shots will get the job done. However I have never heard of someone saying after a fire fight that they wished there pistol only held five rounds instead of sixteen.

There is a lot of miss information in this thread. The main thing is that revolvers are more reliable than semi autos. I think some people have for gotten about bullets sliding forward and locking cylinders. How about broken cylinder stops or being out of time after being dropped?

There were many reasons the police and military went to semi autos. Ammunition capacity wasn't the only deciding factor. Do you really think they would have made the switch if semi autos were drastically less reliable than revolvers?

All pistols are machines. All machines break!

...show me a story where five shots wasnt enough...
Lance Thomas, a jeweler who survived several attempted armed robberies of his store, emptied two guns at least 6 rounds in each during one shootout, transitioning to other loaded guns he had placed at strategic locations around his shop. In another shootout, he emptied one gun (8 rounds) and transitioned to another before the shootout was over.

The idea that civilian self-defense can always be achieved with 5 rounds is wishful thinking, not based in fact.

i wasnt saying that it was, i just wasnt aware of any of those situations, i will definetly look that up and study it, my home has all the firepower ill ever need, but when i go to the store or to work, i am pretty comfortable with just five magnums

but i am very open to changing my comfort level if i see information telling me otherwise

The fact that it has happened on at least the two occasions I listed doesn't change the fact that those encounters don't really fit the typical civilian self-defense scenario template.

It's pretty unlikely that one will need a lot of rounds to resolve a civilian self-defense scenario because the typical civilian self-defense scenario doesn't involve a lot of rounds fired.

Of course, the danger in preparing for the typical scenario is that we don't get to choose our self-defense scenario and there aren't any guarantees that if things go south, the self-defense scenario we encounter will be typical.

It's a compromise that everyone who carries a firearm for self-defense will have to make. We can play the odds and prepare for the "typical" scenario, or we can decide how much we're willing to prepare for based on what we consider to be reasonable and then take that approach.

Some people carry 2 shot derringers and feel safe. Others carry a spare loaded magazine for their high-capacity carry pistol and wonder if they should really be carrying 2 spare mags. Pick your spot on the continuum and make your choice based on what's reasonable for you in your circumstances--it's all any of us can do.

I usually carry an 8 shot single-stack with a spare mag. Not because I'm sure I'll need all 15 rounds to resolve a self-defense scenario nor because I'm confident that I can resolve any situations with 15 rounds. I chose the gun because it's about the largest/largest capacity gun I can conceal without resorting to what I consider unreasonable effort, and I carry a spare mag because it's so easy to do so, I can't justify NOT doing it.

I have both - I CCW a revolver most of the time - sometimes a semi - all depends on the area I will be in. Irregardless, both have advantages and disadvantages - it all boils down to what you are comfortable with.

I'm not saying don't be prepared and don't be alert . . but the chances are pretty slim that I will ever have to draw my weapon . . and I hope I never have to. I normally carry a Smith Model 36 - 5 shots of 38 special. I'm comfortable with that . . the next person might not be . . that's up to him/her.

If you really want to get to the nitty gritty . . perhaps it should be asked what make/model of revolver is more/less reliable than make/model of semi-auto. Read any thread on any make and model - to some, they are the best - to another a piece of crap - doesn't make any difference if it's a revolver or a semi.

In the long run - pick what you are comfortable with, practice shooting it often and "learn" your weapon so you can operate it blindfolded if need be (i.e. without having to look at it and try to remember what "this part does". Too many buy a firearm and never become familiar with it - I've seen it countless times over the years. Pick your make/model of handgun . . use it . . learn it and thereby learn any shortcomings it may have . . if not comfortable with it, then move on and try something else.

Many people believe many things . . some think they need a large quantity of available rounds . . some, like me, feel comfortable with just 5. Chances are, I will never need 1 . . . hopefully . . . but if I have practiced and practiced and am accurate, am familiar with my weapon and how it functions . . . it doesn't make a difference if it's a revolver or a semi . . . it will matter if I can't hit what I'm aiming at.

Or... carry one of each.
I carry a S&W K model or J model snub on my hip in a OWB holster, and a Ruger LCP in my back pocket.
Problem solved.

Back