Pistols vs revolvers?

"You see the same thing at pistol matches. People forgetting to release the safety..."

Can you explain that problem with semi-autos like a Glock or an HK P30 with a LEM trigger...?

Last edited:
Just looking around for a gun that's fun to shoot and has a defense capability. I just like the style of single action revolvers.

Use the search and find past threads started by Jim March. He carries a single action Ruger, a Vaquero, I think. A unique and highly modified Vaquero.

(You can also search on "frankenruger".)

"You see the same thing at pistol matches. People forgetting to release the safety..."

Can you explain that problem with a Glock...?

A major problem with Glock's and inexperience shooters is "limp wristing"

Yeah you can learn to beat that, but locking the wrist goes out the window during stress.

Again I'm talking about the majority of people who carry (or stash) for self-defense. They don't practice enough to really be comfortable with the gun, to do anything that needs to be done without think, or scared poop-less.

For them the revolver is a better choice.

The advantage is we have a myriad of options for both and are able to obtain whichever we desire the most, if we can afford it, regardless of how others feel.

Merry Christmas, Nanuk,

It was a factory defect. I believe it was a recalled gun. S&W did repair it.

Many decades ago I knew a cop whose Model 15 would not fire. It's alignment was off. She was carrying it on duty when the defect was discovered.

In the early 80's, S&W had a severe problem with quality control.

I have put many thousands of rounds through a P-229 w/o a single problem.

Handgun golf would be a lot more exciting. Tee up a ball and players would have a magazine or 2 cylinders to sink a ball. I might watch handgun golf on TV.

I had a bullet dislodge from its case preventing my Model 60's cylinder from rotating.

Revolvers, like all mechanical devices, can fail.

Double action revolvers are fairly complex. A lot of moving parts have to function flawlessly in order for one to work as intended.

I do like revolvers. In fact, I just bought a GP 100. I might even carry in while fishing in the Eastern Sierra.

You see the same thing at pistol matches. People forgetting to release the safety, having to pause and look for the mag release, all sorts of problems.

Then there is the revolver. Nothing to do but pull the trigger. Nothing to thing about (I don't let students use the hammer on a DA/SA revolver). Just pull the trigger, no thinking, no fumbling. Sure the is the cylinder catch, but they're suppose to be behind cover for reloading.

I know there are those who will pick up their gun, without thinking get it in action, reaching the safety, mag release, slide release without ever changing their grips. That is the exception.
I have to disagree a bit about the fumbling issue...

Take an unloaded revolver with a loaded speedloader, and an unloaded autoloader with a loaded magazine:

Revolver: (1)release the cylinder, (2) insert the bullets in the cylinder using the speedloader, (3) close the cylinder, and you're ready to go.

Autoloader: (1)insert loaded magazine, (2) chamber a round by racking the slide, and you're good to go.

A there are plenty of Glock style pistols that don't have a manual safety, so there's no fumbling there.

Seems to me that both are very simple and easy to use.
Which is why pistols and revolvers are used effectively by teenage and children warriors around the world.

The differences in my opinion:

Most folks will be able to reload much more quickly with an autoloader (if they have another loaded magazine).

Autoloaders can take more physical abuse than the revolver.
You can drop a Glock off a 30' cliff and it will probably still fire with the first trigger pull.

Revolvers can take more neglect of maintenance than the autoloader.
You can put a revolver in a cabinet and leave it there for 200 years and it will probably still fire with the first trigger pull.

You can customize the grip of a revolver much more so than with an autoloader.

It takes me longer to clean a revolver than an autoloader.

I can completely detail strip my autoloaders much quicker than I can detail strip my revolvers.

Jmr40 beat me to the punch. Least I don't need to type all that.

Pistols encompass both revolvers and semi-autos.

I have put many thousands of rounds through a P-229 w/o a single problem.
yes and many have done the same with many other brands of gun. An exceptional example does not mean ALL Sigs will follow suit. That also does not mean most Sigs are poor either. They are simply imperfectly made tools that can have issues.

I've seen plenty of guns have issues:

Kimber
Springfield
Taurus
Ruger
S&W
AKs
ARs
Kahr
Glock
Sig
Kel-Tec

To blindly assume that one gun maker is beyond criticism simply because your pistol has been a positive example doesn't make much sense.

I own several guns made by companies on that list. Luckily save for Taurus none of mine the ones that gave me issues. I simply require all my firearms to prove themselves through use. Not on reputation, this can aid in the decision to purchase certainly, but until some range time who can say?

Kraigwy, I agree with you totally about people shooting enough to be really familiar with their guns. It always amazes me that people will reply when asked about a guns reliability with," I've had it a couple of years and have shot about 600 rounds through it." 600 rounds is about what i will put through a gun on a single range trip.
I prefer revolvers because I always have been more worried about having to clear a jam while being attacked at close range than I am about running out of ammo. YMMV.

Last edited:
Ease of reloads

Seems to be a big issue for many handgun shooters. My personal opinion is, reload speed is over rated.

Ease of operation and reliability are the two characteristics of handguns that are most important to me. DA Revolver---pick it up and point and shoot. Doesn't get much easier than that.

Kraigwy speaks from much experience. Not all handgun shooters will spend a lot of time at the range, practicing drawing and shooting and reloading several days per month. Some LE people don't spend much time at the range, and their lives are many times more likely to be threatened by evil doers than an ordinary citizen. Thus, as a general statement, to me, revolvers are the most reliable easiest using handguns.

BTW, I have never, ever had a Sig malfunction nor have I ever heard of a Sig malfunctioning.

My wifes Sig 238 malfunctioned a great deal and took multiple trips to sig and finally to a local smith to fix it. The gun would not feed most ammo. Sig kept telling us to feed it Magtec but I did not pay for a gun that will only run 1 brand of ammo. Finally a Local smith polished up a lot of parts including the feed ramp and the gun now works well.

Every auto I have had has malfunctioned. I have only had 1 malfunction with a revolver and that was a Taurus Judge that would not lock back in to single action. Taurus eventually gave me a new gun.

Venom1956,

Do you know anyone who'd make this assumption:

"To blindly assume that one gun maker is beyond criticism simply because your pistol has been a positive example doesn't make much sense."

I had a bullet dislodge from its case preventing my Model 60's cylinder from rotating.

Revolvers, like all mechanical devices, can fail.

This was an ammo problem, not a failure of the gun (mechanical device).

This was an ammo problem, not a failure of the gun (mechanical device).
While it was an ammo problem, the gun still failed to work, due to its design.

Leaving the ammo out of the gun to insure 100% reliability doesnt seem to make a lot of sense though. :)

Back