Pistol for a One-Handed Shooter?

I'm sure it's already been pointed out by now, but shooting a semi one-handed presents many difficulties. Not the least of which is stove piping, and clearing those and other jams. Plus, I'm pretty sure using the shooting bench or my belt to rack a slide would draw some negative attention my way from the local range officers.

On another thread I saw this Tanfoglio pistol that has a charging handle on the side of the slide...
7ced6a1171f84fe2ebb4954d41f80395.jpg

I'm thinking it wouldn't be too hard to modify most semi-autos to have one of those. Food for thought.

All things considered, a revolver is certainly the way to go, especially if it's going to see any serious use. A good steel frame will soak up a lot of the recoil. Cock the hammer back for real easy single action shots. Most calibers offer a wide variety of ammunition with varying degrees of power. A .327 magnum revolver would be great. A .38 or .357 as well. Perhaps one with moon clips would be more fun and convenient at the range.

ripnbst said:
Whatever it is it would probably be in your best interest to get some aggressive, likely more aggressive than factory offered (except maybe S&W M&P, they work EXTREMELY well) slide serrations.

What good will aggressive slide serrations do for someone with one arm? Hard to imagine any slide serrations aggressive enough to hook on a table, belt, etc.

Welcome to the forum! In reading your post, let me first say that I am sorry for the way things are turning out - but, when God closes a door he opens another.

In regards to the use of only one eland - you will adapt over time. Whatever you do, don't let it rule your life but instead, use it as a means to overcome the situation. May years ago, when I was going to Friendship, IN for the NMLRA Nationals, there was a fellow there who had no left arm from the shoulder down. It was amazing to watch him load and shoot his muzzleloader. He had a leather thong tied to the trigger guard which he would clamp in his mouth to help steady the rifle while he utilized his right to fire.

I was a firefighter for a number of years and a neighboring township had a firefighter who also was missing his left arm. He couldl do more work than anyone I have ever seen from hauling house to sitting on a Keeny Loop directing the nozzle of a 2 1/2" line under high pressure.

In a nutshell, a person can do whatever they set their mind to.

I would think that if you had a semi-auto that you could easily drop magazines and insert new ones. It might require some sort of fixture or holder at a range so that the semi is pointed down range and held secure enough to insert the magazine back in. On something like the 1911 platform, the slide will be held back after the last shot so you could release it with your thumb utilizing the slide lock release. I think you would just have to go to a range or a bigger gun shop, get someone who has some brains to wait on you and see what make/model could possibly work out best for you.

If necessary, I wouldn't rule out revolvers either. A revolver with a swing out cylinder should be easily released and with a tilt, the cylinder swing out. You might have to lay it down in order to eject but is is doable. As far as loading - I can visualize some sort of heavy base with a dowel or brass rod that points up smaller than the bore of the pistol. You could slide the barrel over the dowel/rod so that the back of the cylinder is pointing up, load your cartridges and snap cylinder back in to place. remove the pistol from the rod and shoot.

Hopefully you will find a solution to fit your needs. Life is too short not to enjoy it and if you enjoy shooting, then I wouldn't be afraid to ask for help. There is nothing wrong - we all need help of one sort or another. Maybe a friend that could help you load (I have no suggestions for loading semi-magazines but perhaps some will). Personally, if I was at a range and saw somebody that needed some assistance, I would be more than happy to give them a hand loading or even cleaning if they needed it so they could enjoy the sport. That's what it's all about.

My very best to you - ou'll be in our thoghts and prayers and please let us know how it works out for you. Determination can overcome anything! :)

Welcome to the forum. Sorry for your situation. Hate to see fellow shooters have a life altering scenerio of this magnitude. I actually have a little information that I learned from my grandfather. In the early 90's, my grandfather had a stroke and loss the use of his left arm. He was extremely deflated and sold off most of his guns. Some were gorgeous Browning shotguns and a couple custom built Model 70's that he designed in his garage. One was a .270IHMSA (think thats what it was called). It was based on the .257 Roberts that was shortened and fireformed for the barrel. Think of the 6.8spc but 20 years before it was introduced.

Back on subject, my grandfather prefered wheel guns because he could re-load the rounds as light or as heavy as he wanted. To this day he only has a couple of autos (1911 .22, Sig 226, Sig 229, Remington Rand 1911). I would suggest something like a S&W 686 in .357 with a 4" barrel. Normally I would recommend a 6" barrel for more fps but in your situation, I think the 4" would be much more balanced and easier for you to handle. Now others may recommend the Ruger sp100 or 101 and they are fine pistols as well. Ultimately, you need to head to a range/gun shop that has multiple handguns that you can handle, munipulate, and simulate loading/unloading. Best of luck to you.

Am I the only one that noticed that the OP posted this over a year ago? I am curious to know what he finally decided and how he is managing since he was supposed to have his surgery at the end of last year. Maybe he'll find this thread again.

First, welcome to the forum and my sympathy for your injury and situation. Second, don't go back to that gun shop. Find one whose employees have some manners and brains.
Pistols are often shot one handed. You may have limitations but there are many guns out there which you can use just fine.
My suggestion is a semi-auto that is single action/double action. Meaning the first shot is double action but follow ups are single. These (at least quality brands) can be safely carried with a round in the chamber and safety not on. Meaning, you can grab and shoot. It can be carried safely as well.
Practice will be very important but that rule applies to everyone, just just you.
Loading the magazine and working the slide to chamber the first round might prove a challenge and require you to develop some techniques. I can't make suggestions for that.
Good luck, carry on and please keep us informed of your progress. I like your spirit and attitude.

Back