Pistol for a One-Handed Shooter?

You don't need a gunsmith ....just a good instructor....

There are all kinds of guns you can manipulate one handed...and probably lighter is better....and how well you can manipulate the controls with one hand is obviously a big deal .../ so something in a single stack ..that is not too wide ...and maybe something mid-sized like a Sig 239 ...or a 1911 say in a 4" ...especially something in either platform in a 9mm ...and there are lots of other options out there.

a. Don't run the gun to slide lock ...drop the mag with a round left in the chamber ....decock it or put safety on ..set the gun down / pull another mag ..and reload it / pick the gun up again ...and continue firing..is just one way to do it.

b. If you can't set the gun down on a safe surface.../ and have to sit and use your lap or something to manipulate the gun for the reload ...maybe its better not to have a round in the chamber...so you run it to slide lock / then reload...bring the gun up on target, drop the slide one handed, commence firing...

A good instructor will run thru all of these options for you ...and you can adapt a little bit ...not a gunsmith ...or a gun salesman for that matter.

There are ways to reload one handed ...even revolvers...so I wouldn't rule that out either...maybe a nice S&W model 66 in a 4" or something easy to handle ...and you can train with .38 spl's in it / and carry it with .357 mag if you want..../ moon clips are more trouble than they're worth to me...a good speed loader ..like a Jet loader is pretty easy to manipulate one handed with some practice on a K frame S&W...

i am assuming that you will be getting a prosthesis. When you are selecting the device, discuss shooting with your Dr., therapist and most importantly with the technician who builds and fits the device.

There is a gunsmith I know of in eastern AZ who has done some excellent work for physically limited shooters.

I would not give up on revolvers if they are your preferred hand gun. A good instructor can help you develop techniques to overcome any limitations.

If all else fails, follow the advice of the one armed Deputy from the Unforgiven, carry more guns.

Good luck and keep us informed or your progress.

Verk - had two additional thoughts overnight:

1. When you look at a semi-auto, I recommend you make sure the slide release is easy to depress with one finger. That is no problem on a 1911, but some of the newer style semi-autos have ones that are small and difficult to press - the presumption is that the shooter will rack the slide with their support hand. I have never had to rack the slide on my 1911s, even being left-handed. Reaching over or up and pressing that release becomes as instinctive as blinking. The advice on some self-defense TV shows often assumes that you will have a Keith type ramp rear sight and that you release the slide by tugging the sight against edge of your belt. It is a whole lot easier to just press down that slide release and you won't tear up your belts or ding up your sights. (But you don't want to practice this repeatedly with the magazine out - the action of chambering a round softens the impact of the slide on the frame a bit.)

2. Depending on how you feel about talking to folks about assistance, your local VFW or Amvets chapter might be delighted to help you find solutions, perhaps including the building of a device to make reloading a magazine or a couple of speed loaders easier. Ditto the gun range folks, if you plan to join one.

Last edited:
Verk,

I'd say a Glock.

Why?

1. Holds alot of rounds so you don't have to reload.
2. No safeties to worry about.
3. Very reliable.
4. You can get a rear sight that is sharp and use it to rack the slide on you jeans, table, pocket edges, etc...
5. It's accurate and a very easy gun to shoot to.
6. If you drop it, it's drop safe and UGLY to boot. So no biggie, right.

I'd pick the Glock 19. 16 shots and easy to conceal.

Deaf

Again, thanks for all the feedback thus far. I do of course plan to end up with a prosthesis, and I definitely plan to discuss several activities I have in mind with my doctor/therapist to see what sort of use I will be able to get out of it. I kinda wish I knew already, just because for the time being I'm unsure what to expect, so I'm just sorta planning on "if I can't use my left at all, then what".

To Webley, that first S&W M&P R8 is awesome, for serious. I'm actually amazed I hadn't seen anything exactly like it in any shops around here, but that's certainly something I'm interested in.. However unfortunately it's way up there in terms of price. I don't make a whole lot of money, and had only planned to spend around 600, but that really makes me want to save a while longer... Though because of price that may be the second gun I end up with..

I definitely agree with all those who suggested seeing a trainer. Even if I weren't in this situation I'm sure they could teach me an insane amount, though again price starts to become an issue. I'm about an hour south / SW of Chicago, so though I've never looked, I imagine I have plenty of options.

And to Deaf, I had certainly thought a glock might be a good choice based on your and a few other people's posts. Though they're ugly as hell in my opinion, I can't deny the amazingly boxy build makes it quite good for catching a protruding sight on something.

I really need to try to go and get my hands on some stuff in the near future. I have a little drive upstate coming up that I plan to use an an excuse to detour and check out a few stores.

I recommend like a vise gripper, specalliy made with rubber grip narrowing to close grip space, so you can rack the slide at home with easy to load/unload.

Like a V vise grip, so its tight and you can rack the gun with safety.

One hand shooting...
Lignose
Lignose-10.jpg

Norinco M77B. takes a strong finger pull but works

400px-NorincoM77b.jpg

I have both..and also a BIG JoLoAr Spanish which was made for horse back.

Last edited:
If you didn't go to Mega Sports in Plainfield then you should. You may even see the S&W Model 8 there. It's one of those gun stores you walk into and say "wow". If that was the store you visited then I am surprised. They are more professional than that. Check them out.

http://www.megasportsfirearms.com/index.php

Last edited:
I'll have to check them out, Larry. I think I've actually been there once in the past to use their range, and they had a pretty impressive selection of pistols. I've heard their prices aren't the best, I'm honestly not sure if that's true or not, but you can't beat the number of choices.

A friend of mine who has no left arm uses 38 special revolvers and always seems to have no trouble shooting with them. He prefers S&W revolvers as he says the thumb latch is easier for him to use.

For SA revolvers I'm thinking a thick, soft rubber mat with a rubber ridge running left to right placed on a shooting bench could help with rotating the cylinder and working the ejector rod while keeping the gun pointed in a safe direction.

I bring up SA revo's because when I want to shoot one handed, nothing shoots as well for me.

Deaf Smith has a pretty good argument for Glocks as well.

I wish you the best with your situation.

I own a RIA 22TCM double stack 1911. According to the manufacturer it generates over 400 ft.lbs. of energy at over 2000 fps with it's 40 grn pill.
It's capacity is 19+1 rounds and uses standard MecGar P18 .38 Super magazines.

The trick is, the recoil is very low and the slide is ridiculously easy to manipulate. Easier to rack than most .22lrs due to the slide being solid steel and needing only a 8# recoil spring.

Mine has shot flawlessly without a single hiccup and as a side benefit it comes with a 9mm barrel and recoil spring.

RIA004.jpg

RIA005.jpg

I was thinking that maybe a small leather loop that can be slid onto your belt may be useful for reloading a revolver. It's easy to swing open the cylinder and eject the empties with one hand. Then simple put the revolver barrel into the loop with the cylinder still open. Reload, and close the cylinder.

Just a thought.

Verk,

Just a word of encouragement: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ccm-columns/member-profiles/joshua-benson/ This shooter (who uses a wheelchair to get around) has almost no function in his right arm, and only limited function in his left. I met him (and wrote the linked article) and still consider him one of the most inspirational shooters I've ever known.

If he can do it, you can do it.

When I met him, he was taking an advanced self defense class -- and keeping up with the rest of the group just fine, thankyouverymuch. He was using a non-modified semi-automatic pistol, doing one-handed reloads including racking the slide one-handed, and hitting his target accurately quite comfortably within the par times.

If he can do it, you can do it.

I have known and worked with a lot of people who have temporarily lost the use of an arm. One handed gun manipulations are not difficult, but they must be taught. You will almost certainly not figure out how to do it safely on your own, or from written descriptions on the web.

Call up any reputable training school -- Rangemaster in TN, Firearms Academy of Seattle on the west coast, Massad Ayoob Group throughout the country, lots of others -- and explain your circumstances when you register for a course.

You'll do fine.

pax

Don't let anything hold you back. I'm sure you'll find a way to get things done. That being said it may not be safe or practical (other then a combat situation,) to rack the slide of a semi auto with one hand. But if that's what you decide on the go for it. With my job as LEO I have to practice one handed, strong and weak. My Glock is fine but I really shine one handed with a 1911 style. For whatever reason it works for me the best. If I couldn't use my weak hand I would probably stick with a revolver for ease of loading and unloading. But again I'm sure you will be able to work anything you put your mind to. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Back