Pistol for a One-Handed Shooter?

My one-armed friend used to beat me regularly at USPSA matches with his SIG 228 (and mag pouches designed to let him slip the butt onto them).

Verk,

First, sorry to hear of what you are going through with the arm. You will be able to work through it though.

Second,

My wife was gun shopping a while back. She told me that the LGS clerk showed her how he is set up to manipulate his Glock 23 in the event that one of his arms became disabled (robbery or whatever). He had two little clips that belt mount on his left and right sides. He snags the rear sight on the clips to rack. He demonstrated with and empty G23 and some empty mags. He'd apparently practiced a lot with this system because my wife said he was very fast with either hand. unloading/reloading/racking.

A tuned BHP. You can rack the slide on the edge of a table, doorframe, etc.. as there is no protruding guide rod from the lower front of the slide.

There's a gunsmith in my area that manufactures a "tactical racker" attachment for a glock. http://www.hatfieldsgunsmithing.com/Tactical_Racker.html. I don't have any personal experience on this device, but it might be worth consideration.

You should be commended for pursuing your interest in pistols in spite of a disability. Also, when you finally decide on a firearm that will suit your needs, I'd recommend taking your business to a gun store with professional staff.

One-handed shooter

Verk,

I have an extensive background in prosthetics and shooting. Most of the replies you received did not have much information regarding prosthetics. If you will send me a personal message I will do my best to help you with your problem. Looking forward to communicating with you.

Navy Vet

ID go with a revolver. I have seen some 357s with an 8 shot capasity. The reason has nothing to do with loading it. It has much more to do with what you do if you have a jam and only 1 hand. In a semi you have to rack the slide, on a revolver you pull the trigger again.

If you really want to shoot an auto there are lots of good ideas all ready in this thread.

Last edited:
Maybe you just haven't tried the right kind of revolver; the top-break design was designed specifically to be reloadable with a single hand. Sadly, it is not popular today (Uberti makes some 44-40 and 44Russian SA topbreaks), but a good condition older S&W in 38 S&W would only set you back a couple hundred bucks. Not the most powerful player these days, but definitely the most ergonomic for someone in your position.

1.)Wedge barrel in armpit (will still work if you don't have an opposing shoulder)
2.)Slide hand up grip to release frame latch
3.)bend frame open, ejecting shells
4.)Insert new rounds (cylnders can be cut for moon clips, or speedloaders used)
5.)Close frame, bring back into play

True, a typical gun range would frown on this as it does point the gun at the ground behind you. Also you would have to practice to not sweep yourself or those to the sides of you while performing this manuever. But this method was practiced one-handed by Cossacks on horseback, so mastering it on your own feet should be no problem :)

Best of luck with your procedure and recovery, and most importantly, keep doing things!

TCB

im a one armed shooter

I wish I had seen this thread sooner. I am a right arm amputee, who lost my strong arm in 2001. I can shoot just about anything that isn't weight prohibitive. in the case of semi auto pistols, I use the front sight or lip of the frame against an edge to rack the slide. anything from a countertop to a belt or the sole of my shoe will work. as your hand becomes stronger (and working as your sole hand it will get stronger) you will find that you can hold the frame and rack the slide of most guns with one hand! you will have a dexterity advantage over most people with the use of both hands. i hope by now you've already found this all out on your own.

The pistol of choice would be a standard steel frame, steel slide, open iron sights. Don't use plastic sights. The idea is that you hold the slide against some object like a door edge, a tree, a leg or something to hold the slide.

A good gunbelt should be stiff enough to catch the rear sight on and rack the slide by pushing the grip down. Works well with a fixed sight 1911.

Verk, I am very sorry to hear of your problem. I may have missed it, but what arm is bad, is that your dominant hand, and will you have the use of your upper arm? Those questions bear a lot on your gun choice and the way you adapt. Whether we like it or not, most auto pistols are set up for a right handed shooter and some guns simply cannot be easily operated with one hand.

I know a man who lost his left forearm in VN and who shoots both a revolver and an auto pistol. To load an auto pistol, he sticks the gun under his left arm or in his belt, inserts the magazine, then pushes the slide against his shoe heel (or the shooting bench or anything handy) to load the chamber. On a range, where the gun could sweep someone, he lays it on the loading bench to load.

With a revolver, (S&W) he swings out the cylinder the same way anyone else does, sticks index and middle finger into the cylinder window, pushes the ejector rod with his thumb. Then he sticks the revolver in his belt (he says 4"-6" barrel is better for this), or on the bench, with the cylinder open, and reloads. Then he closes the cylinder and resumes firing.

He can't use a Ruger .22, but has used a High Standard, working the slide with one hand by grasping the gun with the fingers over the slide and the thumb at the rear, or by using the rear sight as a point to push against.

He has a loading block that holds magazines upright while he loads them. I don't recall seeing him load or use a speedloader.

(I have to consider recommending a Jo-Lo-Ar or a Lignose a rather poor attempt at humor; neither is likely to be in the case at a local gun shop.)

Jim

Back in the '90's I competed in weekly USPSA-style matches with a man who had the use of only his right arm. I assumed he was using a Glock, but a friend pointed out that it was actually a 1911. I don't recall him having any special difficulties he had beyond shooting with one hand.
As a side note, there was a Hungarian ISU competitor who won a gold medal in the Olympics shooting with his right hand and then when that hand was injured, won a gold medal with his left. 25 meter rapid fire. Very inspiring - at least to me.

Last edited:
One hand

Yep.
Karoly Takacs : Olympic Rapid fire GOLD in both the 1948 and 1952 Olympics.
Right injured by a grenade in 1938,
Olympic rapid fire:the basic course is six strings of five shots each. Two are five shots in eight seconds, each shot at a different bull. The two strings each fired in six seconds and then two each fired in four seconds. One hand unsupported at 25 yards.

pete

Semi-auto pistols for one-handed operation...

In my opinion, I would look into a 9x19mm(9mm Luger) with full ambi-controls that you could quickly operate under stress or with gloves.
Some brands to look at(depending on your budget or tastes):
The Walther PPX or PPQ M2; the new PPX has large easy to see 3 dot sights, it's hammer fired & DA only(no cocking or hammer spurs), full ambi controls. The PPQ costs more but it's got a good backing from many Walther owners all over.
The HK P2000 or P2000sk LEM(law enforcement modification); it's a robust, well engineered pistol that you can buy in 9mm or .40. The controls are on both sides & the LEM format is DA only.
The PX4 C(constant) or the PX4 Compact(with full ambi controls). I owned a PX4 C 9mm in 2009. It was great. The semi auto offers low recoil, easy to clean/field strip, has 17rd magazines(in the 9x19mm caliber), and it has only the slide release & magazine release(that can be switched).
The P250 line from SIG Sauer; the DA only pistol, like the Beretta PX4 C model, is easy to carry, easy to strip/clean, comes in multiple calibers(9mm, .40, .45acp). The P250 can be quickly converted to a full size, compact or sub-compact. You just switch the fire control system, barrels & pistol magazines.
NOTE; in 2013, the SIG P250 polymer frames might be hard to buy or obtain due to the huge demand for magazines/parts/weapons.
In general, Id look at the 9x19mm caliber over the more powerful .357sig, .40S&W, 10mm, or .45acp. You can pack more rounds(15/17/20/30 etc) & be more prepared to fend off a attack. The 9mm, to most shooters has low recoil so it's better to shoot one handed.
A green or red laser aimer/laser-grip might be worth adding too.

Clyde
www.gunsamerica.com www.slickguns.com www.gilbertsguns.com www.natchezss.com www.nra.org

Sorry about the arm damage. Fight on.

To offer an additional option, the cz100, although much maligned on line, comes with a ledge built into the slide so the user can rack one handed.

Hey just watched a video on YouTube for glock sights that allow you to cock it in one hand just by making a fist with one hand. Video title was "milproakron exclusive - review of the occluder gunsight" hope this helps :D

I am very sorry to hear about the eventual amputation you are facing. That would something I imagine would be very tough to KNOW was coming.

My advice is you get something that you are able to rack the slide by pushing it against the edge of a table or squeezing it between your knees and pushing away from you. Another thing to look at is getting a rear sight that is a "hook" design. Basically, something that you could catch on your belt or table edge to rack the slide. In the image below, note how tall that rear sight is and the front face is straight so that you could easily push it against a table edge or catch it on your belt edge to rack the slide.

Nighthawk-Custom-Costa-Recon_001.jpg

Whatever it is it would probably be in your best interest to get some aggressive, likely more aggressive than factory offered (except maybe S&W M&P, they work EXTREMELY well) slide serrations. Might have the serrations added to the top as well like below.

8406737269_644ef8b53c_c.jpg

Watch this to see what I am talking about when I refer to catching the rear sight on your belt

Last edited:
Hi Verk, sorry to hear about your troubles but well done for getting on with what you want to do!

My take would be this:

Get a Sig P226 or P228 and here is why I think it:

1) Single action / double action trigger
- Double 1 handed I find difficult but possible and single action is easy. Also, you can cock the hammer to go single action with one hand and your thumb, no problem
2) Very reliable pistol - Never will you be worried about it'll work
3) Decent mag. capacity (I like the MecGar 17rds for my 226)
4) lots of holsters to choose from
5) plenty of options for customising sights etc if you want something you can rack on clothing

Anyway, that's what I recommend, whatever you choose, I wish you much happy shooting!

ATB,

Scrummy

Back