Pistol Caliber Effectiveness from a Medical Point of View

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Im glad you do.

Most dont. Knives usually dont get the respect they truly deserve, especially in the gun community, were the gun solves all problems.

manta49

Quote:
My knife instructor describes wounds into 2 categories....timers and switches.
You have a knife instructor.

Yep...knife AND stick. These dudes are SCARY with a blade. Some of their ideas about improvised weapons make me poo myself:eek:

No caliber is likely to stop an attack with a non-critical hit.
It would be more accurate to say that any caliber is as likely as any other caliber to stop an attack with a non-critical hit.

That is, if the hit isn't critical then the stop will be due to the attacker's decision to give up--and it's not especially likely that the caliber involved will play much of a part in the decision making process.

Likewise, if the hit is on target and aimed at a critical organ then any of the service pistol calibers are likely to result in sufficient penetration to damage the organ.

It is possible that a larger caliber might nick an organ that a smaller caliber misses entirely, but the probability of that happening isn't all that encouraging.

I ran a very simplified simulation that compared the probability of hitting a target with an unexpanded .45 bullet that was missed by an unexpanded 9mm bullet. For the parameters of the simulation I set up, the .45 bullet would hit the target when the 9mm missed it less than 0.5% of the time. In other words, it would hit the target one more time than the 9mm out of about 200 shots.

Does that mean that all service pistol calibers perform identically? Well, that's not really the takeaway. The takeaway is that the differences in terminal performance are less impressive than many assume and therefore other selection criteria (shootability, rapid-fire accuracy, etc.) should be more heavily weighted than terminal performance.

DoubleNaughtSpy said:
dirtd0g said:
I am not going to put more effort into preparing for the far-fetched and extremely rare incidents... Especially when, all things considered, preparing to fire my weapon under duress in the real world is already extremely unlikely.
So why are you preparing at all if it is all so unlikely? Apparently, it is just far-fetched, huh?

Without allowing your attempts at thread derailment to succeed, I do need to then ask you why you wear a seat belt while in a motor vehicle? All things considered an accident is unlikely, but you prepare for it. It is still possible, albeit much MORE unlikely, that you will be involved in a collision where even a seat belt and some airbags won't save you. So why don't you wear a helmet? Why don't you zip on a Nomex suit? Why don't you install a 5-point harness, weld in a roll cage, and replace your fuel tanks with self-sealing fuel cells?

When I become more proficient at preparing myself for what is most likely of the unlikely to happen I may then practice at preparing for the least likely scenarios.

Possible Vs. Plausible Vs. Probable

Of all the engagement scenarios I can think of it is technically POSSIBLE that I am stalked by a highly trained team of Ninja SEALs while strolling through downtown Boston with my wife. It is PLAUSIBLE that some guy with a grudge brings a rifle and tries to gun me down from across a parking lot. It is probable that some armed thug wielding an edged weapon on handgun makes his wallet-stealing intent known within 7-yards.

KOlhkeE.png

The concept works even for finance!

Boncrayon said:
I'd say minimum 9 mm, However, I think it's not so much the caliber, rather the type of ammo used in it. A ball type bullet can go right through parts of the body, whereas a specialty "knock-down/kill requires the bullet to open and doing its damage by the spinning motion to cut tissue. Others splinter in many directions that create a multiple organ trauma.

My ultimate CCW protection is the Hornidy Critical Duty which met all 12 requirements of the CIA. It will go through cloth and bone before opening in the chest cavity. The Critical Defense round only met 8 of CIA's requirements.

I pray I never have to use it on my Critical Duty on another human, unless my live or innocents around be are under deadly attack!

I pray that I never even have to use a .22 LR on another human, let alone my 9mm or 7.62x39.

Still, how many CIA requirements are met by your ammunition of choice matters not if you can't even hit the backstop reliably.

dNmoeoF.png

MOST of the world is not the target.

tin foil said:
DeShivs said:
ANY gun is 100% better than having no gun. Having a multiple shot gun increases your odds greatly. Having a large caliber gun increases your odds, but by how much in the real world?
Valid point. I feel at the heart of the matter we think in terms of 'comfort level' as oppose to any quantum set of rules/theory's.

And if you are comfortable, proficient, and adequately skilled with a .50 caliber handgun, go for it. However, DeShivs is absolutely correct. If all you could get your hands on in a firefight was a Ruger 10/22 you wouldn't look at it and go, "I'm not using something that small!"

wHgFLqn.gif

I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a fully-automatic 10/22 with a 50-round teardrop...

AK103K said:
Knives usually dont get the respect they truly deserve, especially in the gun community, were the gun solves all problems.

Bladed weapons have created some of the most gruesome injuries I have ever seen... They are alarmingly efficient wounding OR killing instruments.

Aluminum baseball bats and hammers are brutal, too. But they really lack the finesse of a small blade.

JohnKSa said:
The takeaway is that the differences in terminal performance are less impressive than many assume and therefore other selection criteria (shootability, rapid-fire accuracy, etc.) should be more heavily weighted than terminal performance.

Exactly. While I would LOVE to actually own a 1911 in .45 ACP the handful of times I shot one I felt like a fish out of water. I would NOT rely on my skills with that weapon to end or thwart an attack. I would feel MORE comfortable, at this point, whipping out my Mosquito and hoping I have some high-quality rounds that will fire reliably.

While I do plan on expanding my caliber palette and becoming proficient in everything I end up owning I am not going to walk into a store and plop a paycheck down on a larger caliber weapon to carry and defend myself with without training and practicing with it first.

And who knows, I may end up always being more comfortable and more accurate and a more reliable shot with my 9mm! If that is the case you know what I'll have inside my waistband.

Again, thanks for the lively discussion and general well-behaved tone here.

I welcome any other additions or related points you can bring to the table.

Originally posted by Old Marksman
Quote:
The real question, for me anyway, is at what point does controllability diminish to the point that the increase in power is no longer worth it?

For defensive purposes against human targets, any increase over the FBI penetration standard is worth nothing. A bullet that goes through the target has no advantage.

Why do you assume that everyone using a 10mm is using ammunition which will penetrate beyond the FBI penetration standard? There are several 10mm loadings which display penetration characteristics within the 12-18" window that the FBI recommends though full-power JHP loadings with heavier bullets (180 gr+) often penetrate towards the upper end of this. One of the nice things about the 10mm is that it is very versatile in that you can have ammunition that penetrates like all get out or, by simply changing the construction and/or weight of the bullet, you can have something that penetrates like a 9mm but expands more violently.

Quote:
As far as the 10mm being "contraindicated" for fast, controlled shooting, I simply don't think that's the case for everyone.
Rob Pincus expressed it better than most:
Quote:
Physics dictates that the 9mm is going to be a more manageable round (lower recoil) than the .40 S&W out of any particular firearm. So, no matter how much you train and how much you practice, everyone should be able to shoot a string of Combat Accurate 9mm rounds faster than they can fire a string of .40.
Emphasis added.

Of course, the 10MM is worse than the .40 in that regard.

That is certainly true (assuming we're talking about similar guns, which is often an overlooked point) but it is also true that, with comparable loadings, a .40 or 10mm can also expand to a greater diameter and carry more energy than a 9mm can.

If we are to believe that the larger diameter and/or greater energy of the .40, 10mm, .45 ACP or any other larger/more powerful caliber isn't worth the loss of the 9mm's controllability, then why is the 9mm still preferred over even smaller/less powerful cartridges that are more controllable still?

Quote:
I'd venture to guess that there are at least some people who can handle that level of recoil adequately. While the recoil of a 10mm may be too severe for some people, to say or imply that it is too much for everyone is simply incorrect.
It is not a matter of whether the recoil is "too much". The question is how many rounds can be fired with combat accuracy in a very short time.

Think four or five shots into the upper chest in one second.

Remember, if you do not happen to hit anything vital, all of that boom and blast means nothing.

So why 9mm then? A few .380 JHP's can still penetrate to the FBI's 12" minimum (though just barely) and almost any .380 FMJ can do it. A .380 out of a larger gun like a CZ-83 or Beretta 86 is very controllable (so controllable, in fact, that they're often recommended to arthritic or recoil-sensitive shooters). If diameter and energy are always secondary to controllability, why not go even smaller? A .25 ACP loaded with FMJ can reliably penetrate 12" and I think that a Glock 19 sized gun in .25 ACP would be extremely controllable and very high capacity to boot.

The point I'm trying to make is that the power/controllability balance is something that cannot be easily quantified and, as such, we really can't make blanket statements about it. There are numerous factors that play into how controllable a given cartridge is including the size and weight of the gun, the strength of the shooter, the experience level of the shooter, the power of the particular ammunition being used, the bore axis of the gun, and the fit of the gun to the shooters hands just to name a few. Without knowing all of these variables, predicting how well a given person can shoot a given cartridge is pretty much impossible.

Personally, I don't find the difference in controllability between my 10mm and my 9mm to be that great. However, my 10mm is a relatively large and heavy gun (S&W 1076). The way in which I choose to mitigate heavier recoiling calibers is to only use them in guns with enough size and weight to soak up the recoil (that's why none of my 4 .357 Magnum S&W's are J-Frames). In my experience, the problem for most of the people who try to carry/shoot "too much gun" isn't that the cartridge is too big/powerful, but rather that they've tried to shoehorn it into too small/light a handgun because it's more convenient to carry. I've simply accepted that if I want to carry a big, powerful cartridge, I need to be willing to do it with a big, heavy gun.

I just carry a ninja sword and walk in the shadows. I'm the best ninja since chris farley.

The best thing a person can carry on them at all times is a ready and prepared minds.

2 things
I'm far more concerned with the behavior before they get to the gurney.
If you can't tell the difference between 147gr fmj 9mm and BP9le 115gr +P+ you need stronger glasses

The point I'm trying to make is that the power/controllability balance is something that cannot be easily quantified and, as such, we really can't make blanket statements about it. There are numerous factors that play into how controllable a given cartridge is including the size and weight of the gun, the strength of the shooter, the experience level of the shooter, the power of the particular ammunition being used, the bore axis of the gun, and the fit of the gun to the shooters hands just to name a few. Without knowing all of these variables, predicting how well a given person can shoot a given cartridge is pretty much impossible.

ABSOLUTELY!!!

Unless, of course you are a bureaucracy, such as the FBI....(during the latter 80s). The main reason (my opinion) that we got the .40 S&W was the FBI scapegoating the 9mm, and then, finding out their chosen superior round (10mm) was too much in too big a gun for a sizeable percentage of their agents to be able to qualify with it. The first bureaucratic fix was to change to the 10mm FBI load (aka 10mm Lite), in the same guns.

Still to many agents with problems (the S&W 10mm pistol is pretty beefy for smaller hands). Enter the inspired solution, 10mm FBI load in a case that fit existing 9mm gun frame size, the .40 S&W. Now, a couple decades later, while the bloom on the rose has faded a little, it is still the go to round for a lot of agencies and individuals.

Oh man, the 10mm gets me such in a tizzy!! :D

Who wouldn't want high-end .357 magnum to low-end .41 magnum stopping power in a Glock 20 with 16 rounds overall? I think that would be the most effective fighting handgun ever devised.

Jeff seemed to think so. :cool:

The first bureaucratic fix was to change to the 10mm FBI load (aka 10mm Lite), in the same guns.
The FBI never tested, used, issued or trained with anything other than the 180gr@ 980fps FBI load.

Not true.

The FBI found the 10mm full power Norma type loads to be too powerful for there short statured male agents and female agents. The power was reduced, leading to the "10mm lite" loads which led to the .40 S&W some years later.

In 1990 Charles Petty wrote an article for the American Rifleman on the FBI ammo tests that led to the adoption of the 10mm round.

The FBI first tried a 175 gr. jhp bullet at 1358 fps. Of all the rounds they tried this was the most effective. The gun was a Colt Delta Elite. But the recoil and muzzle blast were excessive in rapid defensive firing for all the agents who shot.

The FBI also found that the round that did the next best in meeting their test parameters was the 185 gr. 45 acp round at about and around 950 fps.

So they loaded the 10mm to this velocity with a 180 gr. pill and found it to be as effective as the 45 acp. in meeting their parameters and it was more controllable in rapid fire.

They tried 5 separate loads with the 180 gr. pill all in the 913-955 fps range. They achieved good penetration and expansion with the bullets they had at the time, the rough equivalent of the 45 acp. Even the full power loads they used expanded and penetrated to what the 45acp did, at times a bit less.

So they went with the lower 180 loads of the 10mm at the 950 fps range.

They went to the 40 S&W as it game them the same parameters in a shorter case.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/4/16/throwback-thursday-the-fbi-ammo-tests/

tipoc

Last edited:
Unfortunately it's even more difficult to quantify terminal effect in terms of actual stopping power/incapacitation time/incapacitation probability/etc. So difficult, in fact, that no one has managed to come up with an accepted method in decades of trying. Various people measure diameter, energy, momentum, power factor, penetration, wound volume, etc., and endlessly argue why one parameter is better than another one for predicting effectiveness. But when you ask them what the measured differences will mean in terms of how much faster someone hit solidly will stop shooting at you, or how many fewer shots it will take to incapacitate someone using a caliber that scores higher things get very quiet.

On the other hand, when talking about controllability, it's reasonably easy to shoot a couple of drills with each caliber/platform and compare the times and accuracy to determine if one caliber/platform combination is noticeably superior or inferior. In fact, one can not only decide which is superior or inferior, one can even quantify the difference.

For example, last year, I shot the same match with two very similar guns, one chambered in 9mm and one in 10mm. The score (combined time and accuracy penalties) with the 10mm gun over the identical course of fire was 34% worse than the score shot with the 9mm gun.

I do believe that as long as the gun and your physical strength are adequate you can reduce that difference to the point of not being important. If you can get 5 shots on target and it takes you a tenth of a second longer with the 10mm I'd much prefer the 10.

...you can reduce that difference to the point of not being important.
I can certainly see how one could improve one's score with the 10mm with practice, but how would that improvement not also carry over to the 9mm and keep the difference more or less the same?
If you can get 5 shots on target and it takes you a tenth of a second longer with the 10mm I'd much prefer the 10.
Sure, any time you can get something for essentially nothing, that's a good deal. The problem is that such a thing rarely happens. In the real world, you almost always have to give something up in order to get something.

It's like saying that if you can get a car with the performance of a race car and the mileage of a Prius for only a little bit more than a Honda Accord, I'd much prefer that over a Honda Accord.

Originally posted by JohnKSa
Quote:

Unfortunately it's even more difficult to quantify terminal effect in terms of actual stopping power/incapacitation time/incapacitation probability/etc. So difficult, in fact, that no one has managed to come up with an accepted method in decades of trying. Various people measure diameter, energy, momentum, power factor, penetration, wound volume, etc., and endlessly argue why one parameter is better than another one for predicting effectiveness. But when you ask them what the measured differences will mean in terms of how much faster someone hit solidly will stop shooting at you, or how many fewer shots it will take to incapacitate someone using a caliber that scores higher things get very quiet.

Granted, I will concede that the difference in effectiveness between calibers can't be satisfactorily quantified. However, just because it cannot be quantified does not mean that there is no difference. Even if we cannot agree on which theory of wound ballistics is correct, the 10mm rates above the 9mm in almost every measurable way (energy, momentum, diameter, wound volume, penetration, etc.).

On the other hand, when talking about controllability, it's reasonably easy to shoot a couple of drills with each caliber/platform and compare the times and accuracy to determine if one caliber/platform combination is noticeably superior or inferior. In fact, one can not only decide which is superior or inferior, one can even quantify the difference.

For example, last year, I shot the same match with two very similar guns, one chambered in 9mm and one in 10mm. The score (combined time and accuracy penalties) with the 10mm gun over the identical course of fire was 34% worse than the score shot with the 9mm gun.

OK, so for you, with those particular guns, the extra power of a 10mm isn't worth the tradeoff of the milder recoil of the 9mm. That doesn't mean that the same will hold true for everyone with every gun. As I mentioned before, my 10mm is a particularly large and heavy gun, substantially larger and heavier than most 9mm's. This extra weight dampens the recoil to the point that, for me at least, the milder recoil of the 9mm does not outweigh the extra power of the 10mm. I'm not trying to say that the 10mm is universally superior to the 9mm, just that it's not universally inferior either.

Quote:
...you can reduce that difference to the point of not being important.

I can certainly see how one could improve one's score with the 10mm with practice, but how would that improvement not also carry over to the 9mm and keep the difference more or less the same?

Quote:
If you can get 5 shots on target and it takes you a tenth of a second longer with the 10mm I'd much prefer the 10.

Sure, any time you can get something for essentially nothing, that's a good deal. The problem is that such a thing rarely happens. In the real world, you almost always have to give something up in order to get something.

It depends on what you're willing to give up doesn't it? In my case, I'm willing to give up carrying a smaller, lighter, less obtrusive gun in order to get the extra power of a 10mm. Granted a 40+ oz 9mm would be more controllable still, but for me at least the extra power of a 10mm is a much more appealing trade than the slight increase in controllability of an unusually large and heavy 9mm.

It really depends, I think, on where you make your baseline. I personally don't find the recoil of my 10mm to be prohibitive or unpleasant so that is where I draw my baseline. From my perspective, the most attractive feature of a 9mm is not that I can get substantially less recoil in the same size gun, but rather that I can get about the same recoil from a substantially smaller and lighter gun.

I also have no problem with carrying a 10mm. I don't carry it all the time but when the size and weight aren't acceptable I carry a 9mm and don't feel under gunned. The same amount of devotion to practice will always yield better time and accuracy from a 9 but I can get more than good enough results with the 10. That's why I carry it. If my performance were unacceptable I would move down to a caliber that I could shoot well enough. I'm probably not going to empty a whole magazine into an assailant but under stress I would most likely tap off 5 or 6 rounds to center mass. I believe that the 10 will give me better odds even accounting for the speed difference in follow up shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back