Pawn Shops in a few months

You miss the point of the thread. Panic buy now, leading to good buys later. Nothing to do with hard times

You quoted “ Will Pawn Shops have a flood of guns sold/pawned to them when bills come due and food runs low.”

You said “I hope so” So you could get a reasonable price on a Smith.

Bills coming due that you can not pay and running out of food is hard times regardless of how you got there, China Virus or poor judgement.

Hoping that happens to someone so you can get a good deal on a gun is pretty cheap in my book.

I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I understand simple English I did not miss the point of the quote and reply

I saw a lot of low priced guns flying off the shelves; think Taurus. That said, people are buying what they can get and those that bought cheap guns, I'm not sure that people will feel the need to sell them once the virus dies off.

Even if some do, I have a feeling that the gun community and 2nd Amendment supporters just gained a lot of new members.

Of course you wouldn't sell it for $30??? Why not? It didn't cost you anything. That would be $30 in your pocket, easy money, and a win-win for everybody, right? Surely, you are not implying a double standard, are you?

Why do you think the pawn shop should do that if you won't do it? The answer in simple. You want to pay as little as possible and maximize your profit when you sell. That is sort of a base line of how business works.

As for asking prices, pawn shops and other businesses just like you can ask what they want. You don't have to pay it if you don't want to. Eventually, the products will sell. Somebody haggler will come in and work a deal.

I always find it amusing when people think pawn shops should sell items based on what they paid for them by people who would not engage in the same practice themselves and never take into consideration the who concept of what it takes to run a business.

If this economic situation is like those of the past, the pawn shops will be have some good deals on merchandise in the future. They are going to be inventory heavy and comparatively cash poor by the time this comes to an end. However, they won't be giving stuff away either. Various types of merchandise hold their values better than others.
A pawn shop is a business. I guess so long as you can lay your head on your pillow and sleep well, you didnt rip folks off too bad. Someone has to do it, but I dont like making money on the misfortune if other people.

Kreyzhorse said:
Even if some do, I have a feeling that the gun community and 2nd Amendment supporters just gained a lot of new members.
I doubt it. We may have lost some staunch opponents, but if most of these new buyers just bought a gun because they feared some sort of apocolypse, I don't expect many of them to become avid shooters after the pandemic winds down, nor do I expect many of them to become 2A activists or advocates. IMHO the best we can hope for out of the majority of them is that they may stop supporting politicians who are trying to take away the RKBA.

IMHO the best we can hope for out of the majority of them is that they may stop supporting politicians who are trying to take away the RKBA.

Probably the best we can hope for. What I think we'll get is somewhat less than that.

I think a lot of them are buying a gun with the idea of it being "emergency use only", and now, since they HAVE ONE, future gun control laws still won't have a serious impact on their lives and they will continue to support anti-gun politicians, whom they agree with on other issues.

Any fear, anger, or frustration they feel now, when they find out that buying a gun isn't what they've been led to believe (right off the internet delivered to your door, etc) those feeling will have been long forgotten after the crisis passes. And they won't come back, really, if/when there is another crisis, because they already have a gun and a box of ammo (possibly 2).

So they won't care about banning this or that, (unless it's the gun they have), won't care about any increase in ownership requirements, fees background checks, waiting periods, etc, because they already have a gun....

A few people will see the light. Most will not bother.

A pawn shop is a business. I guess so long as you can lay your head on your pillow and sleep well, you didnt rip folks off too bad. Someone has to do it, but I dont like making money on the misfortune if other people.

Oh give me a break!! There is no ripping off going on. Nobody makes people use a pawn shop. People don't have to pawn their belongings to get money. They could just sell them if they wanted to do that.

You probably hate plumbers, electricians, roofers, auto repair businesses, banks, doctors, and firemen as well. After all, they all make money on people's misfortunes, don't they? :rolleyes:

44 AMP, I can't disagree with your analysis. That is probably exactly how it will play out. But ... one can always hope for a miracle. Just don't plan on it.

I think a lot of them are buying a gun with the idea of it being "emergency use only", and now, since they HAVE ONE, future gun control laws still won't have a serious impact on their lives and they will continue to support anti-gun politicians, whom they agree with on other issues.

Any fear, anger, or frustration they feel now, when they find out that buying a gun isn't what they've been led to believe (right off the internet delivered to your door, etc) those feeling will have been long forgotten after the crisis passes. And they won't come back, really, if/when there is another crisis, because they already have a sold the gun and a box of ammo (possibly 2).

That is pretty much what happened in California AFTER the L.A. Riots were over. Look how many more antigun measures / laws were passed since 1991.

If anything, I hope the first-time panic buyers trade in the guns that aren't good choices for them for guns that are good choices.....and those traded guns end up as bargains for the more experienced gun owners.

The newbies can have the Glocks.....I'll take the SAAs and Hi-Powers.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

People,many new to gun ownership, are buying every gun they can find right now. However, with the slowing economy, increased unemployment and probable upcoming recession due to the Coronavirus, will Pawn Shops have a flood of guns pawned/sold to them when bills come due and food runs low?

For every newbie that takes their new gun to the pawn shop to pay bills and buy food, odds are there will be a long time gun owner selling off some of their excess at the same time. There will also be tools, motorcycles, boats, snowmobiles and ATVs on the local buy/sell/trade pages. Toys are always the first to go. For the most part, if someone facing a financial crisis in the first place thought they needed a gun for protection, would that be the first thing to go or would it be the motorcycle or ATV?

Personally I don't see the pawn shops getting flooded with firearms. Didn't see a flood of AR's hitting the shops after all calmed down from the mass buying spree from Sandy Hook

Didn't see a flood of AR's hitting the shops after all calmed down from the mass buying spree from Sandy Hook

There wasn't a major economic disaster with Sandy Hook. If anything, the economic was in pretty good shape at that time.

Oh give me a break!! There is no ripping off going on. Nobody makes people use a pawn shop. People don't have to pawn their belongings to get money. They could just sell them if they wanted to do that.

You probably hate plumbers, electricians, roofers, auto repair businesses, banks, doctors, and firemen as well. After all, they all make money on people's misfortunes, don't they? :rolleyes:
I dealt with pawn shops for many years when I worked investigations. Most operators I dealt with had no morals. They all hated me because I took their stollen stuff from them constantly. If you buy a $800 chainsaw for $30, its stolen. It did my heart good to arrest thec worst operator in town. I borrowed a drug investigator from 100 miles away. Sent him in with $9000 worth of stolen jewelry we had recovered. He told her it was stolen and she still took it for $100. I went by a few hours later and asked if she had seen the jewelry. "No, but if I do I will call you.". Immediately served S.W. and there it was in the safe. IMO, pawn shops are responsible for half the thefts around here.

Last edited:
I don’t think too many of the new owners will be rushing to pawn their guns in the future. In the last few weeks I have been approached by several acquaintances who were not avidly anti-gun, but had never felt a need to buy one before now. These people had their eyes opened, and I think they will hold on to their emergency purchase because they have finally seen that emergencies can happen and they want to be prepared for the next one.
Also, the people I know who just made their first firearm purchase struck me as somewhat elitist. They never owned a gun before because “people like them” didn’t own guns. They struck me as people who have never experienced financial hard times, and I get the feeling they see pawn shops as beneath them. This is based solely on my personal experience, but the working class people I grew up with, who have seen hard times before, already owned guns. I could be wrong, but either way it will be interesting to see how this experience affects people.

I dealt with pawn shops for many years when I worked investigations. Most operators I dealt with had no morals. They all hated me because I took their stollen stuff from them constantly. If you buy a $800 chainsaw for $30, its stolen. It did my heart good to arrest thec worst operator in town. I borrowed a drug investigator from 100 miles away. Sent him in with $9000 worth of stolen jewelry we had recovered. He told her it was stolen and she still took it for $100. I went by a few hours later and asked if she had seen the jewelry. "No, but if I do I will call you.". Immediately served S.W. and there it was in the safe. IMO, pawn shops are responsible for half the thefts around here.

That sounds like the old stories out of the 1950s. We were regularly checked by the police. It was rarely that anything we had was stolen, mostly because the bad guys knew they had to use legal ID to pawn or sell belongings. We rarely had anything turn up stolen.

$30 for an $800 chainsaw? Interesting sort of moron crooks you have in your area that would do that.

Let me get this right. You pawned or sold stolen jewelry at a pawn shop? How is that even legal given that it was not your property to pawn or sell? It was not your property to pawn or sell. If you had the right to pawn or sell it, then the transaction would not be illegal. Your story does not pass the sniff test.

Seeing 9mm at $20 a box for cheap ball ammo. Guns on sites like Armslist are already over retail prices.

I don’t think too many of the new owners will be rushing to pawn their guns in the future. In the last few weeks I have been approached by several acquaintances who were not avidly anti-gun, but had never felt a need to buy one before now. These people had their eyes opened, and I think they will hold on to their emergency purchase because they have finally seen that emergencies can happen and they want to be prepared for the next one.
Also, the people I know who just made their first firearm purchase struck me as somewhat elitist. They never owned a gun before because “people like them” didn’t own guns. They struck me as people who have never experienced financial hard times, and I get the feeling they see pawn shops as beneath them. This is based solely on my personal experience, but the working class people I grew up with, who have seen hard times before, already owned guns. I could be wrong, but either way it will be interesting to see how this experience affects people.
I think you might be right now that I think about it. We "ordinary" folks already have firearms and didn't have a need to buy more guns. I think the folks in the current gun buying frenzy are the people who have money and didn't previously feel the need to have a gun. They can easily afford their purchase and will put their new gun away for the next
"emergency".

That sounds like the old stories out of the 1950s. We were regularly checked by the police. It was rarely that anything we had was stolen, mostly because the bad guys knew they had to use legal ID to pawn or sell belongings. We rarely had anything turn up stolen.

$30 for an $800 chainsaw? Interesting sort of moron crooks you have in your area that would do that.

Let me get this right. You pawned or sold stolen jewelry at a pawn shop? How is that even legal given that it was not your property to pawn or sell? It was not your property to pawn or sell. If you had the right to pawn or sell it, then the transaction would not be illegal. Your story does not pass the sniff test.
Had permission from D.A. to do the stolen jewelry deal. whether or not it was stolen was irrelevent the fact it was portrayed as stolen and concealed were the needed elements of conviction. We simply used recovered stolen jewelry because thats what we had. Had to have D.A. permission to use it though. It went through court.
Before google, most crack heads didnt know a $800 Stihl magnum from a Poulan. I recovered a $800 Stihl Magnum that was sold to the Pawn Shop for $30. The investigator in our county told me a couple months ago he went to Atlanta and recovered over $20k of stolen firearms from a pawn shop. It still happens.

Back