Pardner Protector Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put a link up a few post ago about the 5 shot tube 870 HD's as well.

The pardner is like the pre flexitab 870P's minus some furniture and barrel extension. They got around using the old bolt carrier design and remington jam by changing the lifter. If you look at the 870P's upgrades (orange follower, machined extractor, sling studs, steel trigger gaurd, etc) the PP already has it. The differences being the odd size mag tube, some furniture, and finish.

Last edited:
I am done with Semi-Problematic and am not going to get down in the mud with him. You can judge for yourselves who is making things up.

Barrels for H&R single shots are manufactured in New York. Barrels for H&R Pardner Protectors are imported from China. H&R then has them proof tested and that is the Remington proof mark.

I find it incredible that anyone would argue that language in a owner's manual about shipping without the barrel installed means guns are shipped from China without barrels.

WARNING: Except for installation of the barrel, your gun was
shipped fully assembled. It should not be used or disassembled
without reading and understanding the instructions in this manual.

The manual then instructs how to install the barrel that Problomatic says it didn't ship with.

Just ask any LGS if the Pardner comes to it without the barrel.

Se the triangle on the Remington barrel. That indicates magnuflux testing and I believe that is done to all Remington barrels. Do you see it on the Chinese barrel?

Now the person talking about agendas is telling you that the Pardner Protector is like the pre-flex tab 870P's minus some furniture and a barrel extension. It is anything but an 870P.

Last edited:
Sorry I bypassed much of the postings. For only $200 why not go ahead and buy a Pardner, shot the heck out of it for a year. You will spend more than $200 in ammo doing that, then if you don't like it sell it for $150 or so and look for a Rem or Mossberg. I remember a few years a go when everyone said how bad the Mossbergs were, rattly, clunky, plastic stocks etc. etc., however as time has passed and the majority of the old 500A's are still shooting, suddenly you don't hear those comments. I have a Rem 870 Exp., that I like just fine, happens to be a .20 ga I bought for my son, also had a short barreled 500A for a few years, never felt handicapped by either one.

Dreaming.... Call H&R and ask yourself. I already did and they specifically said the Pardner pump barrels were MANUFACTURED in Ilion, NY. Thats not opinion, that is fact. The number is 866-776-9292. You'll get a menu, press 4. You'll get another menu, press 1. That will lead you to a helpful representative who can look it up for you. I'm not in the mud. I'm simply correcting your completely made-up and false claims.

And as far as it being an 870P with different furniture, prove otherwise. I already gave my reasons for stating why. Compare the two yourself. The pardner is head and shoulders above the express and on par with the 870P as far as components.

Again, if you would stop making things up and actually do just a smidgeon of research, you wouldn't be left inventing wild claims.

See the triangle on the Remington barrel. That indicates magnuflux testing and I believe that is done to all Remington barrels. Do you see it on the Chinese barrel?

My Hawk 982 doesn't have a triangle on the barrel. It has 2" 3/4 - 3" stamped on it. Nothing more.

My recently acquired 870's barrel has quite a few numbers and symbols on it. Besides the manufacturing date code, it has:

the number 44
a diamond shape
a triangle with a "C" inside
another triangle with a raised center (might be an "A", but I don't think so)
the REP symbol
a square with a "U" inside
and a sideways "T" like this: l-

If Remington routinely puts all that stuff on the barrels they make, you'd think that the Protector's barrels would have around the same amount of markings.

The barrels for the Pardner Pumps are not made in New York. I do not know who he spoke with but feel free to confirm for yourselves where they come from. I called earlier and confirmed that they are imported and then proof tested; that only the single shot barrels are made in New York.

What can I say, the man thinks that because the manual instructs you to install the barrel on the gun that means they were imported sans barrels.

I have nothing more to say regarding Semi-Problomatic. Perhaps he believes what he writes, perhaps not. I do not know. I only know while there are some kernels of fact in what he comes up with, much of his so called facts just are not real.

It looks like I may be wrong about what REP stands for. If it is Republic Steel, a quick Google indicates that the company has been defunct since 1984. Still, REP. is not necessarily Remington's proof mark.

I believe something was said in that review about The letters REP stamped on the barrel. Maybe I read it somewhere. They are not necessarily a Remington mark but a mark for "Republic Steel" as in Republic of China. At least per http://www.jouster.com/forums/archiv...php?t-589.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I said that I had nothing more to say regarding Semi-P, but less anyone not think that I misled anyone regarding Republic Steel, which now does not appear to have anything to do with the REP barrel mark, just look at the about page for that company. A few excerpts:

In 1984, Republic Steel merged with LTV Corp.'s Jones & Laughlin division to form LTV Steel.
That is consistent with what I saw elsewhere saying that the company was defunct as of 1984.

For some reason Semi bolded where I said the company was a subsidiary of a Mexican company.

The company was acquired in July 2005 by Industrias CH, S.A de C.V. (ICH), a rapidly growing steel producer and processor based in Mexico City. Republic Steel is a subsidiary of Grupo Simec, Guadalajara, Mexico, of which ICH is the majority owner.

I gave you the link to what led me to believe that REP was not a Remington Proof mark, as it turns out it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back