Pardner Protector Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noreaster, What you say about the 870 sticking sounds like the chamber issues that for quite a while were common to the Express and I know one guy who had such a tight chamber on his new Wingmaster that the local
Remington service center had to ream it out. The problem is fixable but shouldn't exist.

I have been fortunate to gain approval for new Glocks and Sig 556's in the past couple of years. When circumstances dictated we needed a few NFA length shotguns, I went with old copshop 870's. They checked out healthy, run slick and have been utterly trouble free.

The sticking occurred during qualifications when the guns heated up. Since we moved from Winchester to Federal slugs the problem has pretty much gone away. But aside from that the Pardner runs better with less short strokes induced by the shooter. We also tried out a 590a1 and it ran smoother than the Rems. The Remingtons we have have heavy parkerized finishes that require a healthy amount of lube during range day.

Ah. I don't know enough to say, but that heavy parkerization and or lube may be the culprit. That the problem occurs more with one ammo than the other suggests that the problem has to do with the od of the casings as well as the gun. I rin my 870 vewry dry but I am sure I don't stress it like you guys. Anyway, best to you and stay warm in MA.

Sarge, When I first got into shotguns I was warned to stay away from used and especially leo surplus, as the armorers sometimes scavenger all the good parts before they go on sale. Now that I know a bit more I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up the next time a local department has an auction. Anaheim PD had a great one not a long time ago, and where could be a better place to get one than the home of Donald Duck?

semi-p has a pm.

For those who wish to go to the expense and trouble of making the spacer, that works and there are other ways to make one. Does anyone know what if any effect these spacers have as far as creating rust or slop, if any. I for one wouldn't Bubbize a gun depended on for home defense. I do wonder why no one markets a spacer. Last I looked a couple of years ago no one did.

Last edited:
Replied to your pm

PP's are not exclusive in their barrel problems. Ever try to get a barrel for a 870 HD? The 870 HD mimics the pardner's 5+1 capabilities and barrel selection. But if they do start making new barrels for the 870HD, know what else they'll fit? http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-547333.html
What about the mossberg 500? It cannot get a mag extension at all unless you get a whole new mag tube and a barrel to match it.

Did some searching for more info on the PP and found this review. It goes into quite a bit of detail (very extensive) and is broken down into several sections (Most of it above my head, LOL!). The gun is taken apart and pieces photographed/described. Also patterning is reviewed.

I hope this will prove useful:

http://www.gunsumerreports.com/review_h&r_pardner_pump_protector_p1.php

Personally, I'm going to wait till next year and see if the Rem 870 Police Magnum will drop in price (crossing my fingers). If not, I'll revisit the PP again.

Southern Pride, Thank you for that. I have read most of it and it seems the fairest one I have seen of the PP. There were a few minor issues I wondered about, but one caught my eye

I believe something was said in that review about The letters REP stamped on the barrel. Maybe I read it somewhere. They are not necessarily a Remington mark but a mark for "Republic Steel" as in Republic of China. At least per http://www.jouster.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-589.html

The short LOP got my attention. That is quite a bit of a discrepancy from specs and depending on the application and characteristics of the user it is pretty small. (Some would want a short LOP, but then they would want it even shorter to allow for body armor.)

I don't understand the concern over whether the PP is 922r compliant if that concerns semi automatics.

Last edited:
Hate to say this dreaming, but you're completely wrong. Republic steel is a company based out of ohio. Was one of the third largest US steel producers.

The "republic of china" ended in 1949 and is now called the people's republic of china.

REP in a circle is remington's roll mark.

"the stampings on the right side of the barrel will likely have a triangle with the number or letter inside, next to the letters REP in a circle, next to an upside down heart."
http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-169475.html

It looks like I may be wrong about what REP stands for. If it is Republic Steel, a quick Google indicates that the company has been defunct since 1984. Still, REP. is not necessarily Remington's proof mark.

Looking back to that article I found where the writer talks about the "proof mark" on the barrel. Look at the photo and how it is crudely stamped on the barrel. Instead of an "R" following "R.E.P." in an oval it has what looks like two letters; "iT". Semi-P made that claim on a thread about a metallurgy report that appears to be the basis for claims that the steel in the PP is better than Remington's. I didn't see what he was looking at and cannot comment on it. No one can find the alleged report.

Lastly, without a definitive statement from one of the companies I wouldn't rely on what anyone says about the meaning of those stamps. If the mark on the barrel depicted in this article is a Remington proof mark, that does NOT mean the barrel was manufactured by or for Remington. It could mean that Marlin, which markets the PP under H&R Richardson submits them to Remington for proof testing, if it even means that.

Last edited:
You're welcome Dreaming. Yes, it did seem like a non-biased review. I also noticed it was done in January 2013 (if I read that correctly), so it is quite recent.

Thanks again everyone for all the facts, opinions and a little bit of drama sprinkled in;).

http://www.republicengineered.com/

Pretty recent if defunct in 1984....

"Semi-P made that claim on a thread about a metallurgy report that appears to be the basis for claims that the steel in the PP is better than Remington's. I didn't see what he was looking at and cannot comment on it. No one can find the alleged report."

Where?

If the mark on the barrel depicted in this article is a Remington proof mark, that does NOT mean the barrel was manufactured by or for Remington. It could mean that Marlin, which markets the PP under H&R Richardson submits them to Remington for proof testing, if it even means that.

What if the barrels only have remington's proof mark, and warranty barrel issues are sent to the remington plant, while other issues are sent to service centers? Also, to get a new barrel fitted you send it to the remington plant?
ATTN: Barrel Accessory Offer
14 Hoefler Ave
Ilion, NY 13357
http://www.hr1871.com/support/accessoryprogram.asp

http://www.remington.com/pages/our-company/our-company/company-info.aspx

Oh, and why are PP shipped complete without barrels to the ny plant and fitted with barrels there? And lastly, why are PP barrels stamped with the NY plant's address on them?

Last edited:
This is my last word for you.

I suggest you read the about page for Republic Steel and focus on REP. What you have is not the same company as the one I said was defunct, even if the current company can be traced through mergers and name changes to the former. Basically, the current company is sub of a Mexican company.

As for you what ifs, to me they make no sense. If you were more specific they might. Even if "Remington" did barrel warranty work, that would not mean it manufactured the barrel. Moreover, I wonder ifyou are confusing H&R with Remington. While H&R is owned by Marlin the last I looked, and Marlin is owned by the same holding company that owns Remington, and they share some facilities, does not mean that they are the same companies.

Specifically, why do you say that Remington does the warranty work or the fitting for the barrels. Are you claiming that the barrels don't come from China? Why do you say that the PP is imported without barrels? For that matter, even if Remington fits them (accessory barrels) how does that make Remington the manufacturer of any part of the Pardner?

Last edited:
I suggest you read the about page for Republic Steel and focus on REP. What you have is not the same company as the one I said was defunct, even if the current company can be traced through mergers and name changes to the former. Basically, the current company is sub of a Mexican company.

It looks like I may be wrong about what REP stands for. If it is Republic Steel, a quick Google indicates that the company has been defunct since 1984. Still, REP. is not necessarily Remington's proof mark.

I believe something was said in that review about The letters REP stamped on the barrel. Maybe I read it somewhere. They are not necessarily a Remington mark but a mark for "Republic Steel" as in Republic of China. At least per http://www.jouster.com/forums/archiv...php?t-589.html

I suggest you quit making up false information to support your agenda. Maybe do a slight bit of research if you have no idea what you're talking about.

Older Remington 700 I'm restoring

My pardner protector

Notice the similarities?

"Specifically, why do you say that Remington does the warranty work or the fitting for the barrels. "

I know it's hard to find, but google any warranty work done to H&R's

"Why do you say that the PP is imported without barrels?"

From the owner's manual: •WARNING: Except for installation of the barrel, your gun was
shipped fully assembled. It should not be used or disassembled without reading and understanding the instructions in this manual.

Last edited:
your gun was shipped fully assembled

I think it means that the gun was shipped fully assembled to the FFL you're buying it from when new. That might be a disclaimer in case something on the gun was missing when you opened the box.

Personally, I don't think that the H&R's are shipped without a barrel. The parkerizing on the receiver and mag tube seems to be of the same quality/finish as that of the the barrel.

Maybe, but the barrels are attached in the box where you buy them from, and barrels have to be "fit" at the plant. So I'm not sure why they'd install a barrel, uninstall it, and ship it in a box long to hold it only for the company it goes to to reopen it and refit the barrel. But I've never unloaded them from the truck.

Oh yeah, and a quick call to H&R says that the barrels are manufactured in New York :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back