"Overbuilt" Pistols?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddarryl
I always find it funny that the purists always question investment casting, but Rugers are always players in this list.
Investment casting has nothing to do with it. You'll find that the primary driver of the strength of a revolver will be the strength of it's cylinder. Ruger doesn't use castings for cylinders or barrels, a casting couldn't handle the pressure.

Stainless cylinders are typically 410 bar stock. 454 cylinders are Carpenter 465 stainless bar stock.

Stainless barrels are typically also 410 bar stock, while 454 barrels are Carpenter 7000 bar stock.

Wow! I learn something everyday. Thank you .45 Auto!

I second the nomination of the all steel S&W autos, such as my 639 (2nd gen). A tank of a 9mm but handles hot handloads with ease.
How about the CZ 97B ? Now that's a strong 45 ACP. Love mine.
ARCUS 94: an all forged steel Bulgarian version of a High Power. Love mine and they are low $ if you can find one. Also the S&W 610, a 10mm in an action designed for a 44 Mag. Will also take 40 S&W if you want to go low pressure.
The GP100 saved my sorry tail once. Afterwards, I found I had miss-set the scale and had loaded a 50% over max charge of Blue Dot under 158 gn bullet. Pressure drove the primer out of the pocket where it jammed the action, preventing a second shot. After clearing the jam and reloading with proper ammo, the Ruger continued on without another problem. Yes, I pulled all the bullets and properly reloaded all the ammo from that batch.

Wow! I learn something everyday. Thank you .45 Auto!

Seconded.

Being a Ruger owner, I've always followed thread debating their merits or short-comings, including the inevitable comparison with S&Ws.

Not making any judgements on Smiths, but that post made me that bit happier about my Ruger.

True enough on the Star Firestar - love those - talk about a righteous chunk of STEEL!

I dunno about "overbuilt", but steel CZs in the 75 family are very strong, in part due to the slide being on the outside of the frame, rather than the inside. They are said to handle thousands upon thousands of +P ammo without cracking.

The CZ83 would probably qualify as well.

If I had to buy ALL my guns (handgung, rifle, shotgun) from one source, it would be CZ-USA, without a doubt.

And yeah, the Ruger GP100 and Ruger Redhawk are built like tanks, as are the Taurus Raging series revolvers.

and 3rd Gen S&W auto pistols - yes, they are solid.

I too, have shot one....and wonderer why Gen. Thompson thought you needed 12 lbs. of gun to shoot the .45 cartridge.....

It does weigh a lot, but I bet it helps control full auto recoil.

My nominees:

Star Megastar in 45 ACP. The MS is built to take 10mm Auto, it's loafing with 45 ACP.

Lahti in 9mm. This is a Finnish pistol used in WWII. It weighs almost three pounds. It has a booster designed to force it to function even when frozen. In normal temps without the booster it's got it easy with 9mm Parabellum loads.

Ruger Redhawk in 45 Colt. With SAAMI 45 Colt ammo it won't even wake up from its nap.

I was looking through my collection, and it hit me just how "overbuilt" my HK P7 is - a whacking great clump of ordinance steel that is heavier than the smallish size would indicate - kind of like the Thompson SMG of 9MM pistols (ever picked up or shot one?). I think that thing will just never wear out, or have trouble shooting hot loads with all the steel in it (yeah, I know - eventually it will, but humor me). What other pistols out there do you think are overbuilt (not "overly large")?

J

The P7 actually has some weak points in the frame and slide. In particular, around the breech welds and some of the cutouts for the cocking and trigger mechanism. They are prone to cracking.

It's a robust and well built gun, but it's also an overcomplicated Teutonic cookoo clock, and any number of bent spring or plate in the cocking mechanism can leave it broken in addition to the mentioned stress fractures.

Truely overbuilt guns? Smith third gen autos in stainless and the HK USP's.

If we aren't talking about the Mk. 23 SOCOM, then we aren't talking about the most over built and over engineered pistol.

44 Automag.

"When used properly, will remove the fingerprints"
~Harry Callahan

Not a bad movie, but I never cared much for that particular line.

Pont of order, there is no .44 Automag. Its .44 Auto Mag (two words)

there are Automags (one word) but they are different guns. Automag II (.22WMR) Automag III (.30 carbine) Automag IV (.45Win Mag & 9mm Win mag - if you ever find one) and Auto Mag V in .50AE.

Overbuilt pistols? My list would be the Desert Eagle, then the Wildey, with the Auto Mag less "overbuilt" than those two.

Though not a pistol, the Ruger GP 100 and SP 101 are pretty overbuilt.
Not to mention the Super Redhawk.
As far as pistols the Beretta 92 FS is overbuilt but in my opinion not in a good way.

Ruger P89

Talk about a tank. I think all of that size and weight throwing 9mm bullets contributes to it being the pistol I shoot most accurately!

Funny, I've never equated heavy weight to over built. To me over built means precise engineering and production.
I find the lightweight but extremely well executed Bobergs to be over built.

From 44 AMP:
"Pont of order, there is no .44 Automag. Its .44 Auto Mag (two words)"

I stand corrected, and will make a note of that. :o;)

I have two 3rd. gen Smiths. The 4003 probably doesn't qualify because of the alloy frame. It hasn't given me any problems but I haven't shot many thousands of rounds through if either. My 4506 does qualify, no doute it is heavy duty.

I haven't read every post on avery page so if these have been mentioned before please forgive me but my Ruger Standard in 22lr has to be the most overbuilt pistol in my safe.

Just for consideration, turn it around. "overbuilt"? Maybe, but the other side of the coin is "properly built" with lighter guns being "underbuilt".

For example, I consider the S&W N frame .357 Mag to be the proper size. Strong enough, and big enough (the two are bound together) to take full advantage of the .357 Magnum round, as it was originally envisioned.

K frames, and (gasp!:eek:) J frames are "underbuilt". They are simply not big enough to handle the full power .357 Magnum. (note that both current industry specs and ammo have been "loaded down" from the original .357 levels, I believe primarily so the smaller "underbuilt" guns can manage it.)

There is no free lunch.

Back