"Overbuilt" Pistols?

Regarding the Thompson, there have been enough people who thought that a submachine gun is like a shotgun-all you have to do it point it and pull the trigger-and you will hit whatever you are shooting at.
As a Life Member of SNM-Sons of Neanderthal Man-I like the recoil absorbing qualities of a big hunk of the steel, and at 5'10" and 200 + lbs I am not exactly a shrimp. Firing 38 Specials out of an S&W N frame is like firing 22s.
When I was in the National Guard there was an NCO who carried a Colt Commander, I would carry my Combat Commander from time to time. One day we let some of the troops fire our pistols-everybody said they like my steel frame better.

The GP uses the same speed loader as the 686, the .357 Redhawk uses the N-frame loader. But part of what makes any of these revolvers look or feel massive is the GP's calling card: the full barrel underlug.

one

Saw one the other day. A Ruger Redhawk....in .357 magnum!!!!!

The chambers in that massive cylinder looked like .22's. That thing was huge.

Had a huge price tag too!

Yep, I'm fully planning to add a .357 Redhawk to my pile, but it used to be that they were simply hard to come by. But it seems these days, they are "collectible" also. Sigh.

Used to be a time I wanted to convert a 7.5" 357RH to 357 Bains and Davis but now their worth to much to modify.

I always thought the DW was just a little larger than a "K" frame, I could be wrong though.
It takes the same speedloaders as some K-framed guns, so the cylinder size & chamber spacing, is about the same, but the frame is a good bit bigger than a K-frame.

I can't get mine into any holster for a K-frame I have to use those designed for the S&W 686's so the frame is closer to "L" sized. It also has a way better breech end to the barrel being a full round, not reduced on the bottom like S&W barrels are.
DSCF0815_zps26901675.jpg

robhof

The Dan Wessons are also heavy revolvers, capable of shooting the Ruger only loads. Their 22 and 32 are built on the same frame as the 357 mag, and the 357 Supermag is on the same frame as the 44 and the 445 Supermag. They are heavy for the caliber, but have a great safety margin and last for years.:cool::D

Yep, I'm fully planning to add a .357 Redhawk to my pile, but it used to be that they were simply hard to come by. But it seems these days, they are "collectible" also. Sigh.

I ran across one in one of the local pawn shops a couple of months ago. Couldn't pass it up. Talk about a chunk of steel!

Pic below is the 357 Redhawk cylinder next to a S&W M28 N-frame cylinder. Cylinder walls are about twice as thick as the big Smith's:

Attachments

• 2119.jpg
    2119.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 46
It's a chicken/egg (Ford/Chevy) argument. Ruger's investment casting is always going to be brought up to combat the (much used) tired argument that one brand is better than the other. You sound surprised that it gets mentioned.

Well... it -IS- relevant.

"Used to be a time I wanted to convert a 7.5" 357RH to 357 Bains and Davis but now their worth to much to modify. "
^Guv, like i told bamaranger, you can try to shoot 353 Casull in a 357 RH, it's basically a 357 mag but the brass is thicker but has 357 super mag power, and it wouldn't require any mods to the frame/cylinder, or at least not any extensive mods, and like i said i heard of folks shooting 353 Casull in their 357 RHs, heck that's one of the reasons i want one, heck it may even possible shoot 353 Casull out of a 357 N-frame S&W, but i wouldn't recommend it, and maybe shooting 353 in a DW, but i do know you can shoot the 353 out of the 357 SuperMag/Max chambered revolvers.

baddarryl said:
I always find it funny that the purists always question investment casting, but Rugers are always players in this list.

Investment casting has nothing to do with it. You'll find that the primary driver of the strength of a revolver will be the strength of it's cylinder. Ruger doesn't use castings for cylinders or barrels, a casting couldn't handle the pressure.

Stainless cylinders are typically 410 bar stock. 454 cylinders are Carpenter 465 stainless bar stock.

Stainless barrels are typically also 410 bar stock, while 454 barrels are Carpenter 7000 bar stock.

Back