Only Three Bolt-gun Hunting Calibers - Which Ones?

When I first got on Gun Forums it took me a little while to understand the Boat Wreck joke.
What is not a joke is I lost a Rem 660 350mg when I flipped a canoe in Northern Ontario.
It was designated canoe gun because at the time they were cheap. Lost rifle while fishing during Spring Bear. That was 1970s, it’s probably in James Bay by now. Lost everything and had a miserable walk out. The Black Flies and skeeters are terrible in spring.

The stiffest bolt actions ever made were twenty Winchester 70 single shot ones made for the US Army Rifle Team. No cutout for the box magazine.

Same action with a magazine is stiffer than the Remington 700 action.

The stiffest bolt actions ever made were twenty Winchester 70 single shot ones made for the US Army Rifle Team. No cutout for the box magazine.
Did it is still have a middle pillar?

Last edited:
OK, I'll play:

.257 Roberts (Shaw barreled 98 Mauser) Varmints to deer.
.338 Win Mag (Savage 116) Most anything.
.416 Rem Mag (Winchester Model 70) Still haven't given up the buffalo dream.

Ask next month, and I'll have 3 different picks. Hate these forced choices.

But the big mag removes all doubt

Its a small matter, but I don't think any cartridge choice removes all doubt. :rolleyes:

The stiffest bolt actions ever made were....

The stiffness of the action, one design over another, is of no concern to me in a big game hunting rifle. When hunting big game, what matters to me is what the rifle/ammo can do, in my hands, from field positions.

If I can get "minute of deer" (elk, moose, bear, or whatever game I'm hunting" accuracy, I'm happy and good to go. For hunting small varmints, I have different standards, but that's not what is under discussion here.

I bought brand new Sako 375H&H right out of Hi School. I was looking for a 300mag. I wanted AT&T gun to reach out and touch. This 375H&H was a sleeper, dealer had bought package assortment of Sako and the 375H&H wasn’t selling. I knew what it was and had no interest in it. Dealer cut me a deal that made it practical to buy rifle and have barreled to 300mg. Took it to my Gsmith who was a 375 nut and he convinced me to shoot it before barreling. Gun was impressive accuracy and smooth as glass. Recoil wasn’t bad at all, in fact less than Rem BDL 300Win mag. Loaded with 235gr spitzers it became my favorite BA. Never did shoot a bear with it but made a moose sick to death and lots of deer. 375H&H did less damage to deer than several smaller bore HV rifles.

Same action with a magazine is stiffer than the Remington 700 action.
Production or all actions in general?

OK, I'll play:

.257 Roberts (Shaw barreled 98 Mauser) Varmints to deer.
.338 Win Mag (Savage 116) Most anything.
.416 Rem Mag (Winchester Model 70) Still haven't given up the buffalo dream.

Ask next month, and I'll have 3 different picks. Hate these forced choices.
Check back in a month.

Beautifully executed .30-06, I like mine a little more utilitarian where I hunt. Mainly because I'm clumsy!

My SS Classic M70 06!

I'm a HUGE fan of the model 70--but what I've never understood is how the Ruger 77 has been completely overshadowed by it--in some respects I view it as a more refined 70. My model 70 in 270 WSM and my model 77 in 35 whelen. If I HAD to choose between the two--as much as I love the model 70--I'd probably take the model 77 in 35 whelen.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_7640.jpg
    IMG_7640.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Back