Only Three Bolt-gun Hunting Calibers - Which Ones?

I'm a huge weatherby fan too--I've spent time behind the trigger of vanguards and Mark 5's in 270 up to 416--so I have to ask--why did you go with the RUM instead of the 300 wby? Fortunately I reload for them--last time I looked the 416 was getting well north of $200 a box.:eek::eek::D

The only complaint I have is that I'm not entirely enamored to their new bolts, but have definitely noticed a significant improvement in their barrels since opening the new factory and doing all production in-house.
I really don't know why, but I have never been a .300 WBY fan. It just never exceeded the .300 Win mag by enough to really impress me. The .30-378 is just brutal. The .300 Ultra just seems to be ideal. I really don't know what brass costs now for it, but I have a pile.
My favorite WBY MarkV are the Japanese Howas. I bought a lot of MarkV Weather Warriors and I have never seen comparable U.S. rifles outshoot them. I just love Weatherbys. The one I am currently playing with is the 6.5X300. It is a screamer.

I watched Ron Spomer today and his choices were very interesting...

22-250 AI
7MM Rem Mag
416 Ruger

Funny, he said if you ask him tomorrow, he might have a different answer..

I have the 6.5 Grendel and 270. Just have accumulated a lot of stuff here and there. Got the 22 LR for the little critters.
I do have a really nice accurate .22 as well, but I’ve become addicted to the .17HMR. I’ve been popping gophers out to 150+ yards with ease, and when this thing hits it’s all over. But in reality the .22 would be a more sensible choice if ammo cost and availability are factored in.

I just love Weatherbys. The one I am currently playing with is the 6.5X300. It is a screamer.
The biggest liability to owning Weatherbys IMO is that they tend to roast the throats and bores pretty fast if you shoot them any more frequently than the typical 3 shots two weeks before hunting season opener, I believe they set the headspace with the barrel and bolt upon manufacture. Getting a new barrel is a time and money consuming operation. The 270 weatherby is one of the best IMO.

Ruger 77 African in 6.5x55, Meopta Optika 6 FFP scope….light handy rifle
Winchester 70 custom in 300 Sherman, Vortex Viper PST 2 3-15 - standard weight, 300 mag performance, big enough for bears(if you had to)
Full custom (Bighorn, KRG, Bartlein) in 28 Sherman Magnum, Tract Toric 4-20x for when you need to go long.

The biggest liability to owning Weatherbys IMO is that they tend to roast the throats and bores pretty fast if you shoot them any more frequently than the typical 3 shots two weeks before hunting season opener,

They do make new barrels!:D

The biggest liability to owning Weatherbys IMO is that they tend to roast the throats and bores pretty fast if you shoot them any more frequently than the typical 3 shots two weeks before hunting season opener, I believe they set the headspace with the barrel and bolt upon manufacture. Getting a new barrel is a time and money consuming operation. The 270 weatherby is one of the best IMO.

None of my Weatherbys are chambered in Weatherby Cartridges. :) Non-issue. I do have a factory barrel (bought cheap after they discontinued it) for my .338-06.

They do make new barrels!
They do--have you ever tried replacing one on a MK 5? If you use their in-line locking lug bolts it's not as trivial as a remage (assuming you get the nut off in good style). I love weatherby's--but they are not exactly easy for the typical shooter to replace the barrel.

They do--have you ever tried replacing one on a MK 5? If you use their in-line locking lug bolts it's not as trivial as a remage (assuming you get the nut off in good style). I love weatherby's--but they are not exactly easy for the typical shooter to replace the barrel.
Considering I eliminate the barrel nut when I rebarrel Savages, no big liability there.

1. A decent 22 rimfire.
  2. A 30-'06 Springfield or 270 Winchester; either will do.

Three is more than you need, but perhaps a 223 might be useful. If you get too many, it becomes a collection of stuff that you don't use. Save room for a lever-gun, though.

7mm stw for those times when IT and ME ain't friends.
270 win when I'm perched in a tree
300 sav when I have to be quick and stealthy in the bush (still-hunting)

So, my model 70 is a 5+1 capacity rifle, as it is a 270 Winchester... Just a thought, worthy of consideration....
The 30-'06, loaded with 220 grain bullets, is a well-proven dangerous game rifle in Alaska. Switching to a magnum will cost you magazine capacity, in case that matters to you.

1. A decent 22 rimfire.
  2. A 30-'06 Springfield or 270 Winchester; either will do.

Three is more than you need, but perhaps a 223 might be useful. If you get too many, it becomes a collection of stuff that you don't use. Save room for a lever-gun, though.
Oh, I already have. Marlin 336C 30-30.

Back