Only Three Bolt-gun Hunting Calibers - Which Ones?

My buddy does an annual trip up there and I have an open invite every year. One of these days when things get better I am hoping to go.
Moose hunt is gearing up right now.Tags are awarded through a lottery, it can take years before drawing a tag. For some totally bizarre unknown reason it seems to me that women/girls and novice hunters draw most of the tags.

Moose hunt is gearing up right now.Tags are awarded through a lottery, it can take years before drawing a tag. For some totally bizarre unknown reason it seems to me that women/girls and novice hunters draw most of the tags.
Yeah, the lottery systems are always rigged, in my opinion.

Yeah, the lottery systems are always rigged, in my opinion.
It is. When I was in CO, I had all kinds of private land to hunt on for antelope, whitetail and mule deer. I hated to leave, but the USAF had other plans. Always look back and wished I would have punched my ticket and stayed, but I had 15 years in.

It is. When I was in CO, I had all kinds of private land to hunt on for antelope, whitetail and mule deer. I hated to leave, but the USAF had other plans. Always look back and wished I would have punched my ticket and stayed, but I had 15 years in.
There's a way back if you want it bad enough.

Stagpanther said:
There's a way back if you want it bad enough
CO has a lot of issues right now the biggest is crime, housing, energy, water, and politics. I'd move to Wyoming if a person was wanting to come West. Ten more years and I'm probably moving Southeast.

CO has a lot of issues right now the biggest is crime, housing, energy, water, and politics. I'd move to Wyoming if a person was wanting to come West. Ten more years and I'm probably moving Southeast.
Wyoming was where I wanted to settle. My son wanted us to move out west and be near him. When he passed away a year ago, that dream passed with him. My wife is completely disabled and I am in pretty bad shape myself. The Lord provided us with a home in NC and we have the stuff near us we need. Also have some friends nearby and a place I can hunt. I might make it out to do something guided before I can't.

I hunted a lot of private land, mostly for the asking, in the 1980s and 1990s. Now, it is almost all sold to big corps, leased for out of staters, or just locked up due to slob hunters. I hunt anything but the main rifle seasons now. Still filling public land tags, but getting a little disillusioned. 38 Elk is a good run, and more deer, a few less Pronghorn. But yes, CO is headed down a path I don't want to stay on much longer. As much as I love the mountains, the hunting and fishing, seeing it ruined breaks my heart.

I hunted a lot of private land, mostly for the asking, in the 1980s and 1990s. Now, it is almost all sold to big corps, leased for out of staters, or just locked up due to slob hunters. I hunt anything but the main rifle seasons now. Still filling public land tags, but getting a little disillusioned. 38 Elk is a good run, and more deer, a few less Pronghorn. But yes, CO is headed down a path I don't want to stay on much longer. As much as I love the mountains, the hunting and fishing, seeing it ruined breaks my heart.
That is exactly what my son said. He was in the mountains every weekend. He said when they legalized Mary Jane, it was the downfall of CO. Dopers from CA and other states moved in and ruined things. Like you said, then small landowners have been basically bought out and rifle season looks like a bunch of orange ants on the landscape.

He said when they legalized Mary Jane, it was the downfall of CO.

That is part of it, but not all. But that would be off-topic for the thread.

I am reading some predictions that the end of the 15 year drought, record numbers of animals and not yet full on wokeness enacted will yield a few years of very good hunting in CO. So I might ride out another few years and get some more tags filled. I have Elk and Deer this year. Getting close for Moose and another Pronghorn tag.

That is part of it, but not all. But that would be off-topic for the thread.

I am reading some predictions that the end of the 15 year drought, record numbers of animals and not yet full on wokeness enacted will yield a few years of very good hunting in CO. So I might ride out another few years and get some more tags filled. I have Elk and Deer this year. Getting close for Moose and another Pronghorn tag.
Good luck and thanks for sharing.

.308 family

I would start with a .308 Winchester and call it good!

But since you insist on three…

Going smaller, I would pick the .243 Winchester.

Going bigger, I would take the .338 Ruger Compact Magnum.

I own and use the two larger and my son uses the .243, where I started with a .25-06, I wish I had the .243 instead at this point.

Back