Ole Nasty....

Mickey..like Rick indicated....They will probably go to some high fence place....They won't just be turned loose.....

Rick..I want to be educated on these hogs....We're not gonna get rid of em....I hope U don't get mad if I question U..or hogdogs..and even DNS...lol

I normally stay out of these threads, since I don't have to deal with the hog problems directly up here in Nebraska. I may be moving to Texas for work, though, so my interest is increased...

I have no idea where the red with horizontal tiger stripes comes from...

Seems it is, for the most part, very prevalent in all the feral populations where I hunted or follow the pursuits of others in many locations. I see mainly red with stripes or black piglets... Sometimes with the hampshire type belts. I've never seen a single pie bald (polky dotts:D) piglet... I have seen many captured red stripes raised and never noticed their transformation. I have never raised a "weiner" feral myself.

Brent

Most of our piglets look like this....

Attachments

• Two-wild-boar-sows-with-a-litter-of-piglets.jpg
    Two-wild-boar-sows-with-a-litter-of-piglets.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 21
hogdogs..A polky dot piglet....Pigman posted this on FB....

Attachments

• 429485_3536523332863_1265749437_33578101_2106603007_n.jpg
    429485_3536523332863_1265749437_33578101_2106603007_n.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 24
I run accross a few striped piglets, but mostly red and black. I have no idea where polky dotted pigs come from cause they are always adult. I have some pictures of polky dotted ones too if I get near the computer long enough to upload.

I've caught several sows that have piglets in tow from two age groups, with the older ones being a little less than half grown. Not sure if they are an earlier litter or just some pigs hanging out with the sow and followed into the trap.

Last edited:
Oops, I guess you posted that while I was typing the other.

Polky dots are easy to spot, no pun, LOL, in the night. Easy to identify. My favorite ones to find actually. Last year I had the biggest pig I ever saw wild ....I couldn't get it. Polky dot of course. I named it Osama pigladen. Never got her.

Thanks, Keg. It would be in Ft. Worth, if it pans out. Not sure where the critters hang out in Texas yet... but I'm starting to do some research.

Last edited:
keg, Those red stripes are very typical of feral offspring... I know our barn operation which was in the business of making "feeder pigs" (sold at -30#), we never had a striped red piggy... We had pink yorkshire and belted hamps with a few black pigs and a couple with heavy duroc influence red sows... Our boar was nothin special... Maxed out at about, iirc, 240#... We tried, at minimum, to have a p-up and single axle trailer load per month to auction.

This was in the thumb of Mi. in about 1982... We bought 3 smaller gilts/sows in auction to fill the spot opened by the death of a 350# super brood sow... She got sick and the herd owner couldn't have so much of his "eggs" in one basket.

These 3 sows were all spotted up which was not uncommon in the domestic swine scene... Specially for non-discerning small time feeder pig operations such as ours...

Now here is where this went south...
Auctioneer says "Here we have a lot of 3 fine *Texas* young gals..." Well we got them bought right... They were "spirited" from the moment we went to load them in our now empty trailer...

We got all 3 bred at first heat and 2 of 3 ate the entire litter within an hour or 2 of birth... BAD SIGN RIGHT THERE!!! The 3rd chomped a couple but did not eat 'em... So we grabbed the rest and put them on a pink sow who lost several to freeze.

We decided the whole batch were "sour sows" and just bad motherly brood sows so we got ready to auction them off but fairly as "butcher" pigs so as not to spread the losses to our fellow farmers...

Since we lost 25 pigs to their poor mothering, we loaded the truck with pigs and put these 3 very ornery sows in the trailer...

We arrived at the auction to find the top "half door" of the trailer ajar... NO SOWS!!!

Well we put our "lot" of piggys in a pen and balled the jack back tracking...

We found our 3 sows about 5 miles from our barn... Seems one managed to jump up and bust the top door open and all 3 were out in a hundred feet stretch in front of a fellow farmer's house... He said 2 were dead instantly and one needed shot and he slid them off on the shoulder knowing we would be lookin'...

To this day I am more than 50% sure we bought feral trapped swine that was unscrupulously entered into the ag scene in Mi. cuz we wouldn't suspect it up there...

This was just a couple years before the pork market collapse that, IMHO, caused the latest rash of domestic swine entering the feral world...

The last auction I attended saw pork pigs bringing only$.08#.... YES... after investing 90 days of husbandry and feed into a pig it brought EIGHT CENTS PER POUND!!! Many farmers cut their losses and cut the herds loose... as well as not torturing them with dwindling feed rations, I might add...

Brent

The other thing about these 3 suspect sows... they were LEANER than any barn swine this size we had seen but not "poor" lookin' at all...

And they were "leggy" as all get out... Narrow head and long snout... we had never owned such unusual lookin' pigs...

I never put 2 and 2 together until well into my time trappin' and doggin' feral swine problems...

I had 3 young boars in one trap one day and they were "polky dot" pie balds I seen as being "JUST LIKE THEM DANG TEXAS GILTS OFFSPRING WOULD LOOK!!!"...

Brent

Rick..I want to be educated on these hogs....We're not gonna get rid of em....I hope U don't get mad if I question U..or hogdogs..and even DNS...lol

No problem, we all learning. Most of my claims are based on observation some hearsay and so forth. I'll readily admit it LOL.

I think this thread is actually gettin somewhere.

I gotta say "polky dotted pig" before I get back to work LOL

Rick..I think I'm gonna start another thread..where I will post some old hog pics....

Thanks Art..for letting this one run..even tho we chased hogs all over the back 40....lol

Back